Maine Road tea trolley

I remember as a kid in the eighties buying a large red sweet in the shape of a hand from the trolley. It took me most of the match to eat it.

Reactions: BTH
In the late 1960s I went to my first City match without an adult and was delighted to get a hot drink and a bag of crisps at half-time from the trolley. City scored a couple of minutes into the second half and the hot drink and crisps went flying, hope nobody was scalded

City should organise a back to the 70's Nostalgia Special when we are playing someone crap (eg the rags), with tickets and everything priced as they were back then and all the catering, match programme etc all as it would have been.

City should organise a back to the 70's Nostalgia Special when we are playing someone crap (eg the rags), with tickets and everything priced as they were back then and all the catering, match programme etc all as it would have been.
They could brand it as "Darts Night"!!

Weren't Chipmunk crisps sold there? I also remember XL crisps but that may have been a little later.

I used to sit in Platt Lane in early/mid 70s with my Dad and brother and if Dad had a few pence spare that week we'd get a jaffa cake pack (3 in a pack?) and/or a wagon wheel between us. I'm about 90% certain that they did some kind of launch for Wagon Wheels at City - that's how I remembered it - but they're much older than my time in Platt Lane. Maybe it was just some sort of PR rebrand? These were the days before match sponsorship so it wasn't that. It may explain why Wagon Wheels were there but not in many other places.

I think the fish and chip snack/crisp things were sold as you say.

Edit: Thinking about it weren't Wagon Wheels, Fish & Chips and XL crisps all made by Burtons? Presumably Swales & Bernard would get as much stock from same company as possible to make life easy. Maybe McVitie's products were there too alongside Jaffa Cakes but I don't ever recall them selling United biscuits - I think we know the reaction they'd have got.
I have a vision of Swales wearing his shiny suit at the cash & carry loading his Daimler with all manner of value products. The wind blowing his combover so it points to the sky looking like an exclamation mark which appears to reveal his thoughts. A smirk spreading across his face he thinks about loading up those tea trolleys with his cheap gains, his mind consumed with how much of a mark up to put on each and how to sell out but claim only 70 - 80% was sold.

And a special "Kippax bogs" to deal with the effects of Westler's burgers and hot dogs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.