Maine Road,

I remember going to my first match in 76, I was four. Funny I do not recall who we played or what the final score was. My uncle took me it was a wednesday night. I remember getting to the top of the steps in the Old Kippax and looking down on the pitch.
The flood lights were shining onto the pitch and it just looked amazing to a four year old. I used to love it when we scored and you would bounce down the old stone kippax hitting the metal support bars and see the same people week in week out. When the New Kippax was built we moved to The North Stand. Now that was the stand of Legends!!!

It is not daft to get sentimental about something that gave us so much joy. Remember we were not doing well but still used to fill the ground and that ATMOSPHERE was unreal!!!!!

WE ARE THE NORTH STAND..........Must go the tears are welling up!!

Having just watched the video clip, i too have a tear in my eye. I remember first visiting Maine Road when city brought the League cup "home" in 76 after beating Newcastle at Wembley. I didnt go inside the ground that day but gathered with thousands of blues outside to watch City begin an open top bus tour to the town hall. I couldnt work-out how the front of the Main stand opened up into a football ground. I was only about 8 at the time. My first match was the following season against Arsenal. Brian Kidd was playing for Arsenal that day...We won 3-1. Wouldnt mind a repeat this Saturday.
I also remember dog-shit alley well ha ha....oh happy days indeed. Id go back tommorrow!

I haven't been back to Maine Road since the last game, and cannot bring myself to go!

Best memory is as a kid in the old 'standing only' kippax, I used to climb the roof supports for a better view when the wall at the front was full - just a problem cheering and forgeting how high you was whenever we scored - landed on some poor sod below quite a few times...lol

st.helens-mcfc said:
I haven't been back to Maine Road since the last game, and cannot bring myself to go!

Best memory is as a kid in the old 'standing only' kippax, I used to climb the roof supports for a better view when the wall at the front was full - just a problem cheering and forgeting how high you was whenever we scored - landed on some poor sod below quite a few times...lol
I haven't been back since i put my City shirt down for MVF with all the others. Gotta be over 5 years ago now, i think i spent the best and worst times of my life at maine road.

I went a couple of times while it was being demolished,very surreal,the last time i asked the security guy if i could sneak in and pinch a brick!! i found one painted in blue from the North stand!! anyone else 'claim' items?

Don't get me wrong I loved Maine Road and always will (I was an emotional wreck when we finally left) as I had invested so much emotion in the place, but people are for whatever reason looking at it through very rose tinted specs. I remember many an afternoon in the late 80's/early 90's especially when the place was flat and you could here a pin drop.

Only in its later years did the volume pick up again.

For what it's worth I'm glad the club made the move, although it's taken me a while to come round to that way of thinking.

It wasn't me first match, but I remember standing on the halfway line in the Kippax, when we were playing Wolves - 3-1 up with about 10 mins to go - the fog descends, you could see bugger all of either goal - what we did see was City kicking off three times in the last ten mins. We lost 4-3! So when we lose 3-2 to the likes of Fulham and Liverpool or anyone for that matter, we have got previous so it doesn't faze us old timers! Sad? Not a bit of it. It's part of life's sky blue tapestry.

pride in battle said:
I went a couple of times while it was being demolished,very surreal,the last time i asked the security guy if i could sneak in and pinch a brick!! i found one painted in blue from the North stand!! anyone else 'claim' items?

Yeah sneaked through the gate they had put up when they were demolishing it and walked into the North Stand, stood at the top of the stairs looking down to see all the seats had been taken out, pitch dug up etc....it was a horrible thing to see and really wish I hadn't have done it now as that is the last memory I will always have now of Maine Road.
On way out got caught by the guy in charge.Told him i wanted a seat said he would sell me each seat for £20 the robbin prick, I agreed....soon as he came back with one I grabbed it off him and legged it to my car and drove off with this div chasing after me!

Its one of the black seats from the lettering as well which is a bit unique...and shit really as I wanted a blue one lol!!

vlcsnap-116996.png
vlcsnap-118514.png
vlcsnap-84813.png
corner_flag_800.jpg
4i4qdrc.jpg
l_2cda00d3e111822da7db17b152efe5d9.jpg
real20banners20220bluewatch20banner.jpg

M35 Blue said:
pride in battle said:

Yeah sneaked through the gate they had put up when they were demolishing it and walked into the North Stand, stood at the top of the stairs looking down to see all the seats had been taken out, pitch dug up etc....it was a horrible thing to see and really wish I hadn't have done it now as that is the last memory I will always have now of Maine Road.
On way out got caught by the guy in charge.Told him i wanted a seat said he would sell me each seat for £20 the robbin prick, I agreed....soon as he came back with one I grabbed it off him and legged it to my car and drove off with this div chasing after me!

Its one of the black seats from the lettering as well which is a bit unique...and shit really as I wanted a blue one lol!!

Without going into too much detail I fitted those fuckers in. Is it actually from the North Stand or from the Kippax?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.