Major mistakes of MCFC?

Allowing Swales to get control. Some threads here are looking back with blue-tinted glasses at his reign. When he came in we were an established top four team with a trophy-winning pedigree. Essentially he destroyed the club and left us in tatters. It took decades to repair the damage he caused. He was incompetent and driven by self-interest. His blunders are too many to list but bringing back Big Mal was the biggest of the lot

The tactical switch of Rodney for Wynn was a total disaster, cost us the title, the team selection for the fa cup final replay 81 another disaster, ( spurs had our tactics figured and we needed a more experienced side ie tommy booth and Dennis tueart ) more recently the failure to realise the potential of van Persie and how it would effect that shithouse clubs season. Two future cock ups are the sale of ballo and god forbid Carlos.

Well imagine where we could be right now if the Sheikh hadn't saved us!

Thai fugitive with seized assets as chairman - I'd predict Championship at best.

Could have been a City cock-up of the highest order.

whicko said:
djimaldblue said:
Ray78 said:
Allowing Peter Swales to join the board then become Chairman.

As much as you might hate the old man he was City through and through. Even though he didn't make us bigger than "Stretford Rangers" he certainly tried.

In my time supporting City the biggest mistake was getting rid of Tony Book and replacing him with Malcolm Allison who dismantled a fine team and introduced the likes of Steve Daley.
Swales always did his best for City with limited resources and broke the transfer record for Trevor Francis, his heart was in the right place and he loved City, far too many blues are ready to slag the guy off and probably are far too young to remember him.

Swales never had a clue on how to run a football club and was only using City as a means of serving the FA at the top table. His rein was a disaster, not helped by finding a way to force Joe Mercer into resigning, and he finally left the club with very little income from simple revenue raising sources such as shirt sales. The club were receiving something like £100k per season for the rights, at a time when the commercial boys at O/T were raking in millions.

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
de niro said:
Dont see the need to suddenly knock our club at this time to be honest but I'll have my say .
Yes there have been errors but so has every club, ours without doubt has two that stand way above all others.

1, sacking Joe mercer. Now THAT set us back as far as anything could.
2, appointing Alan fucking Ball. That almost sent us under.

Nothing Hughes did, or redevelopment of Maine road or even John Maddox ( good shout though pidge) did comes close to these two errors.

Not sure we 'sacked' Joe Mercer......the club tried to move him upstairs but (as always) failed to think it through and didn't have a job description or title ready. They then asked him to sort his own at which he got disgruntled and left. Any ways it would've been Joe or Big Mal who went.

Swales removed Joe's office and his car parking space. A funny way of moving him upstairs.

without doubt Bernstein going for me we needed a business man to run things and he was that he didn't want fowler for that much money and was proved right under him I think we would have progressed to where spurs are now

whicko said:
djimaldblue said:
Ray78 said:
Allowing Peter Swales to join the board then become Chairman.

As much as you might hate the old man he was City through and through. Even though he didn't make us bigger than "Stretford Rangers" he certainly tried.

In my time supporting City the biggest mistake was getting rid of Tony Book and replacing him with Malcolm Allison who dismantled a fine team and introduced the likes of Steve Daley.
Swales always did his best for City with limited resources and broke the transfer record for Trevor Francis, his heart was in the right place and he loved City, far too many blues are ready to slag the guy off and probably are far too young to remember him.

i have met Swales, on more than one occasion,shook his hand and talked City. that man loved our club, don,t let anybody out there try and tell you different. Peter Swales wanted the best for Manchester City ...the francis signing said it all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.