Man City V Wigan pre match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the combination that bothers me, mate. Vinny with Demichelis? Well, ok, just about (although there's a lot on here who'll disagree with me: cf. a certain goal scored not so very long ago by a certain Sunderland striker). Vinny with Nastasic? Well, pretty good last season, and that, make no mistake, is our long-term combination, whatever Nastasic's failings this season. He'll come back, he's very young. Vinny with Joleon: definitely, Joleon's a good player when he's got Vinny next to him, and he proved it over and over again during the title winning season (although there are strong signs that Pellegrini does not rate Lescott and he's not long-term for us).
On this question of burn-out, which I'm alert to. It seems to me that a central defender does not burn out to the extent that a box-to-box midfielder does, or even a striker who's constantly looking to shake his marker off. A central defender's essential job is to read balls coming at him, and to move into the appropriate position to mop up. Then, if they're skilled — as Vinny is — to move out of their box with the ball at their feet and release it at just the right moment to a midfielder who's in a better position. By the time they've got to the halfway line, they shouldn't have that ball any more. Then they should hold back. All this, Vinny does excellently, but I'm certain that this doesn't involve getting through as many miles on the park as many other players get through. Plus one other thing: Vinny's just come back from, what was it?, a four week lay-off. And was that the first time he's been injured this season? I seem to remember that it's the second, but I could be wrong. Yaya plays every single game if he's even vaguely fit. Beast seemed to play every single game, in every competition, until he got injured, and I think that's come back to bite him on the arse, big time. Silva's in the same category. These players, yes, must be rested.

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
It's the combination that bothers me, mate. Vinny with Demichelis? Well, ok, just about (although there's a lot on here who'll disagree with me: cf. a certain goal scored not so very long ago by a certain Sunderland striker). Vinny with Nastasic? Well, pretty good last season, and that, make no mistake, is our long-term combination, whatever Nastasic's failings this season. He'll come back, he's very young. Vinny with Joleon: definitely, Joleon's a good player when he's got Vinny next to him, and he proved it over and over again during the title winning season (although there are strong signs that Pellegrini does not rate Lescott and he's not long-term for us).
On this question of burn-out, which I'm alert to. It seems to me that a central defender does not burn out to the extent that a box-to-box midfielder does, or even a striker who's constantly looking to shake his marker off. A central defender's essential job is to read balls coming at him, and to move into the appropriate position to mop up. Then, if they're skilled — as Vinny is — to move out of their box with the ball at their feet and release it at just the right moment to a midfielder who's in a better position. By the time they've got to the halfway line, they shouldn't have that ball any more. Then they should hold back. All this, Vinny does excellently, but I'm certain that this doesn't involve getting through as many miles on the park as many other players get through. Plus one other thing: Vinny's just come back from, what was it?, a four week lay-off. And was that the first time he's been injured this season? I
seem to remember that it's the second, but I could be wrong. Yaya plays every single game if he's even vaguely fit. Beast seemed to play every single game, in every competition, until he got injured, and I think that's come back to bite him on the arse, big time. Silva's in the same category. These players, yes, must be rested.

Yeah I agree with all that you say mate, Vinny is the player that maybe could play the rest of the games. But is there one game to rest it I think its this game.

Pantillimon should play, made this great save against Argentina recently

<a class="postlink" href="http://gfycat.com/CautiousEagerAfricanharrierhawk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://gfycat.com/CautiousEagerAfricanharrierhawk</a>

asplund2 said:
On this question of burn-out, which I'm alert to. It seems to me that a central defender does not burn out to the extent that a box-to-box midfielder does, or even a striker who's constantly looking to shake his marker off. A central defender's essential job is to read balls coming at him, and to move into the appropriate position to mop up. Then, if they're skilled — as Vinny is — to move out of their box with the ball at their feet and release it at just the right moment to a midfielder who's in a better position. By the time they've got to the halfway line, they shouldn't have that ball any more. Then they should hold back. All this, Vinny does excellently, but I'm certain that this doesn't involve getting through as many miles on the park as many other players get through. Plus one other thing: Vinny's just come back from, what was it?, a four week lay-off. And was that the first time he's been injured this season? I
seem to remember that it's the second, but I could be wrong. Yaya plays every single game if he's even vaguely fit. Beast seemed to play every single game, in every competition, until he got injured, and I think that's come back to bite him on the arse, big time. Silva's in the same category. These players, yes, must be rested.

Yeah I agree with all that you say mate, Vinny is the player that maybe could play the rest of the games. But is there one game to rest it I think its this game.

On the face of it, it looks like the easiest, I'm with you there. Trouble is, if we start thinking that or rather, if the players start thinking that, then we'll get done! And you know what? I'm getting a taste for this going to Wembley business. I want us to do it again. Very soon. ;-)

asplund2 said:

On the face of it, it looks like the easiest, I'm with you there. Trouble is, if we start thinking that or rather, if the players start thinking that, then we'll get done! And you know what? I'm getting a taste for this going to Wembley business. I want us to do it again. Very soon. ;-)

Hehe yeah, I think we are thinking the same here mate, its just a thin line how much we will risk or if we should go All in more or less the last part of the season. Hard to know, but think Pelle will get it right :)

asplund2 said:
This team is good enough to win ovre Wigan at home and none of those lads was playing in natinal team so they are rested. We need to give Kompany, Zabaleta a rest, In my opinion also Yaya and Fernandinho (On bench). Players that are fit to come on in second half is Silva, Navas, Aguero. Need to be enough, cant we trust those players in this game we doesnt need this big squad if we are going to play best team every game.

Pantilimon

Richards - Demicheles - Lescott - Clichy

Garcia - Rodwell

Milner - Nasri - Lopez

Negredo
I'd play Micah too, but Pellegrini seems reluctant to do that.

I think I'd rest Yaya and Fernandinho after midweek internationals

-------------------Hart
Micah---Kompany--Lescott--Clichy
------------Garcia--Milner
-------Navas--Nasri--Lopes
---------------Negredo

Could maybe use Yaya in one half, and Fernandinho in the other as we have done before.

Any news on Jovetic? He didn't play in the Montenegro friendly yesterday.

Pantillimon

richards
lescott
demichelis
clichy

garcia
milner
nasri

navas
silva
Aguero

Subs
hart
zabba
kompany
kolarov
yaya
negredo
fernandinho

hopfully get a few up and take nasri silva and aguero off

Len Rum said:
mammutly said:
Very surprised that there are still such doubters around.

These days, Manchester City are a different class to Wigan Athletic. Even if they are in form and even if we play a team with a view to Barcelona in midweek, City will win this game.

We don't have to be at our best to do it, somewhere near will do. That isn't arrogance, it's realism.
Were you at the Watford game?

Yes I was. And like a lot of people, I was confident at half time that we would win it.

Similar to Sunday in a way. These teams can hurt us if we don't concentrate, but I tend to see scoring against us as provocation.

On this question of burn-out, which I'm alert to. It seems to me that a central defender does not burn out to the extent that a box-to-box midfielder does, or even a striker who's constantly looking to shake his marker off. A central defender's essential job is to read balls coming at him, and to move into the appropriate position to mop up. Then, if they're skilled — as Vinny is — to move out of their box with the ball at their feet and release it at just the right moment to a midfielder who's in a better position. By the time they've got to the halfway line, they shouldn't have that ball any more. Then they should hold back. All this, Vinny does excellently, but I'm certain that this doesn't involve getting through as many miles on the park as many other players get through. Plus one other thing: Vinny's just come back from, what was it?, a four week lay-off. And was that the first time he's been injured this season? I seem to remember that it's the second, but I could be wrong. Yaya plays every single game if he's even vaguely fit. Beast seemed to play every single game, in every competition, until he got injured, and I think that's come back to bite him on the arse, big time. Silva's in the same category. These players, yes, must be rested.
Saying he has just come back from injury is pretty off, he returned from injury in early December against West Brom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.