Man City vs Real Madrid | Post Match Thread

I thought that was a fantastic work out for our players against a full strength Madrid side. Shame Delph had to go off as he looked excellent and i really the shape of the side whilst he was on. Yes they scored 4 but great experience for Humpreys and Denayer. I dont want to jump on the Kolarov band wagon but it really needs to be an area we look to protect or improve. Nasri cannot play left or we have to play a 433. All in all great for fitness and getting players experience and i think we should pay little attention to the score.

Every season without fail some people equate pre-season friendlies with the rest of the season, and every season people tell them the same thing, FFS performance and results are not that important stop stressing over it, it's a complete non entity in terms of future performances
this...it really is sick,same bullshit every summer...didn't we take the piss out of 'them lot' last year for getting all giddy about winning the Guiness cup?

I still think we need some worldclass defender, Garay or Otamedi, one of them, imo.

And maybe another good defensive MF (specially if Delph get injured).

The rest, Ill fill with the youngers (academy)

Abd if KDK come, good. If not... we should take this money and try something different.

Good yards into our legs (Fernandos in particular), looked alright when we actually had 2 men and Yaya in mdifeld, went to shit when we went back to how we set up last year with Yaya in a two. Leftback is obviously a problem and we are short in CM, especially now Delph has got injured, but other than that not much to worry about. Denayer might just need that wake up call as everything has been going too smoothly for him, probably not the worst thing in the world to get brought back down to earth as he still has work to do on how he marks from crosses.

All good practice, all good fitness work. Well done to Humphries as well, as it would have been easy to panic after we started to wobble, but he recovered well and generally had an alright game. Great experience for the lad

I think it was good that our 2 young defenders had this test. Now they know that there is lots more to do to be at the top. They can concentrate on working on that and maybe next year they'll get another chance and do better.

I think it also shows that Deneyar is not ready to be 1st choice. He is an excellent young player to have as backup - like Boyota was - but he's behind the other 3. I hope we do get Otamendi. He's needed more than people want to believe imo.

Also as everyone says we need at least 1 full back. And Fernando even at his best is too slow to be value add.

The game didn't matter but it did highlight a few obvious points. I sort of like when our expectations are back to a level set anyway :-) it's the miserable pessimist in me. :-)

Largely right, but I don't think this fixture did us much good, and I'd be far happier if City were spending their time focussing on football preparation instead of marketing the club every available second.

You have got it all wrong Marvin. We have to do this now. We are at the start of being a global club and attracting support for all over the world is vital in doing that. That is the truth of the matter. It's modern day football.

I'm not sure what most of you expected from mostly our second choice side against Real Madrid's first eleven.

We were without Kompany, Zabaleta, Mangala, Fernandinho, Delph (0-0 when he came off), Aguero and Bony. Possibly Pogba and De Bruyne coming in aswell, that's nearly a whole new team.

I'll try and take the positives from the game. I thought up until Delph got injured, we were playing well. I liked the shape, 4-3-3, with a nicely balance centre midfield. Fernando protecting the back four, Delph's energy and pressing with Yaya's passing and drive from midfield. There were some real good signs and I look forward to seeing that midfield trio again.

Sterling was so dangerous, looked a threat every time he got on the ball. Probably our best player today. Silva was good as always, some great link-up play. Yaya didn't look 100%, but it's still pre-season, no big deal.

Denayer got a little bit of a reality check and was shown just how hard it's going to be to make it here. I still think Denayer will become a top CB for us, and will play quite a lot of games this season, but it shows the importance of easing young players in, rather than throwing them in like some on here seem to want. Left back was a bit of a disaster really. Kolarov had a shocker in the first half IMO and Clichy wasn't much better for the fourth goal. It stressed the importance of us getting a top LB in this summer, I think it'll make a big difference in the Champion's League.

Dzeko coming on and showing absolutely no interest wasn't good to watch. It looks like he's gone, which asks the question; why did he come on? Would it not have been better to give Iheanacho a chance down the middle? Dzeko's attitude and workrate was pretty shocking and I can't see how anybody would think that's acceptable.

I don't think we performed badly given the circumstances, it wasn't really a 4-1 game. There was definitely positives to take from the game and also it showed us areas where we need to improve.

I agree mostly with your summary however I thought RealMadrid could have scored at will - only the fact it was a friendly kept them from really taking us to the cleaners. I thought it showed how good a tactical coach they have - as soon as Delph got injured and we put Nasri in front of Kolarov they attacked that side and got their goal. Plus their set pieces were always a threat, oh how I wish we worked on corners. It's only a friendly but I really don't see the point of putting Dzeko out there - he was embarrassing and following on from his comments about KDB staying in Germany he is fast becoming a liability to the club. His negative, couldn't give a shit attitude will send out the wrong message to the younger players and I am annoyed at Pellegrini for putting him on.

Left back is a real problem and keeping Kolarov is a big mistake, again it's a lot to do with attitude and having two kids next to him you would have hoped he would have talked them through it a bit more rather than charging forward then pointing to Fernando to make a tackle - he really is so over rated by a lot of posters, and I can't understand how he still is around.

Sterling will be a big plus for us but I think he showed it would be foolish playing him as a lone striker - Thought it would have been best playing KN up front as they showed great link up against Roma. Nasri tends to slow the play down and Sterling's strength is surely pace and running onto through balls rather than getting it with two defenders on his back.

But hey it's pre-season and we all remember the distant past beating some big clubs in friendlies then being relegated. Perhaps the game showed the manager who should be moved on although I suspect he'll think we lost because we played two kids at the back which, would be really unfair.

I think it was good that our 2 young defenders had this test. Now they know that there is lots more to do to be at the top. They can concentrate on working on that and maybe next year they'll get another chance and do better.

I think it also shows that Deneyar is not ready to be 1st choice. He is an excellent young player to have as backup - like Boyota was - but he's behind the other 3. I hope we do get Otamendi. He's needed more than people want to believe imo.

Also as everyone says we need at least 1 full back. And Fernando even at his best is too slow to be value add.

The game didn't matter but it did highlight a few obvious points. I sort of like when our expectations are back to a level set anyway :-) it's the miserable pessimist in me. :-)

Fernando has the same type of lead legs as Dzeko and Yaya in that they are actually pretty fast once they get going but are so slow at accelerating and changing direction that when faced with nimble players or quick passing they cannot move fast enough to keep up.

I have to say I felt Fernando looked a more agile player when I seen him at Porto and seemed capable of shutting down those sort of plays. I think he just needs to be a bit more clever with his positioning.

Our full backs and CM depth are so thin in quality compare to those big boys in CL imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.