Manchester’s Changing Skyline

Heard from a good source that the land on which sits The Angel pub is being purchased for development. I can't say it comes as a suprise as it's surrounded by new builds, and the owners appear to have been holding out for the best bid. With it's car park/yard/beer 'garden' it's a fair sized footprint.

They have certainly let the place rundown and not spent a penny on it's upkeep for a long time. (Ceiling plaster flaking off? Staple a big black sheet over it ... sorted) :-) Despite that, it's still a good pint and will be missed.
A few years ago I was in that pub on a stag do.
In the corner of my eye I noticed a gabble of women walk in.
A mate I was talking to said, "Turn around slowly and look at those women"
I complied and noticed, being polite, that they were rather 'plain'.
My mate said, "Do you think they are lesbians"?
"I bloody hope so", I replied.
He spluttered his beer back into his glass.
Much mirth ensued....

Another CGI of the Premier Inn site proposal.

Street level.

I’ve not keen on blank walls, even if they’re coloured or have a pattern on them. If that’s going to be part of the proposal make it a living wall with plants and foliage. It’s more expensive to do, and the plants and foliage need to be maintained, but it looks muck better.

06B3CFE1-B119-46FA-A861-F4A579B48998.jpeg

Last edited:
Some modern towers can look stunning but a lot of these going up in Manchester leave a lot to be desired.

Same goes with the coop arena, such a disappointing exterior for what will be a very busy building bringing in many tourist /visitors into Manchester, to be it could and should be a far more iconic design.

Some of it looks fantastic it really does but there is a human cost here to be honest aside from the obvious benefits of the nice buildings and places to live.
A lot of Mancuians have been priced out of the area completely to allow people from other parts of the country to move up north and reside in the City Centre, so it's now in reality a place where mainly rich people live.
The traffic infrastructure is an absolute joke too.
I'd rather live in a tent in the lakes than spend a night in the city centre of Manchester however.

Some modern towers can look stunning but a lot of these going up in Manchester leave a lot to be desired.

Same goes with the coop arena, such a disappointing exterior for what will be a very busy building bringing in many tourist /visitors into Manchester, to be it could and should be a far more iconic design.

I don’t think it’s lack of ambition from property developers. It’s cost v return.(especially in a regional city like Manchester) Towers are very expensive to build. More so now due to the rising costs of land, maeterials and Labour. In a nutshell, boxed towers are cheaper to build.

I’ve always said I’d rather Manchester have a (North American looking) boxed skyline instead of a mish-mash shaped skyline like Dubai.(a bad example)

I much prefer the Canary Wharf skyline to the City of London Skyline.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.