Manchester City Tactics - 2023/24

Against a high press team like Newcastle, we played BOTH Walker wide and asked Akanji to step into midfield.

This made a 235 which seems risky but is designed to control the midfield completely and beat a pressing team. So the CB into midfield role will still come back every now and then.

But with Kovacic and Nunes, the CB will ONLY push up to make a 3 (like Newcastle) and not to be the 2nd midfielder next to Rodri like last season.

The stats show Walker has actually contributed quite well in our attacks these last few games, he lacks dribbling, but makes up for it in speed and we have a better defender than a winger. His crossing is loads better now too.

I think Stones and Gvardiol will be tasked to be wide CBs, and with their passing and dribbling, will give more ways to unlock the defence from further back.
I’m impressed with your analysis. I do love Kyle as a RB but as a high sided wide player he seems the only one of those who can play there who can’t really make telling insertions and goal threats moving inside whereas the other proven players there such as Phil, Bernardo, Doku all can.
So I feel there’s a risk that out wide with Kyle and Grealish we may end being too predictable at times - but fuck me, we’re the best team on the planet anyway

Stones, when fit, will step into midfield if Rodri or Kova are injured or need a rest. I can't see Stones getting as much game time as he did last season. I think Pep will play a back three and when out of possession Rodri will step into the back four. We do have options in that defensive midfield roll.
I have been clamouring for Rodri to do CB into midfield but I dont think it happens anymore, especially with Nunes.

To me it seems clear that we will always start with 2 in the middle, and the CB pushes up to overload and make 3.

I’m impressed with your analysis. I do love Kyle as a RB but as a high sided wide player he seems the only one of those who can play there who can’t really make telling insertions and goal threats moving inside whereas the other proven players there such as Phil, Bernardo, Doku all can.
So I feel there’s a risk that out wide with Kyle and Grealish we may end being too predictable at times - but fuck me, we’re the best team on the planet anyway
To me it seems this switch with Kyle wide is Pep realizing we won the treble last season because of the defense, and him doubling down on that.

I think the plan is to build on the right with kyle and switch to the LW for 1v1.

I always think 2 wingers is better than 1 plus 1 fullback, but Pep seems to favour Walkers defending.

Against lowblocks, I dont how necessary it is to go defensive, but we will see I guess.

I have been clamouring for Rodri to do CB into midfield but I dont think it happens anymore, especially with Nunes.

To me it seems clear that we will always start with 2 in the middle, and the CB pushes up to overload and make 3.
You could be right.

so are Ake and Gvardiol basically the LB options this season? and maybe Lewis at a push. If we even bother with a LB that is. I assume Gomez will find himself higher up the pitch this year

so are Ake and Gvardiol basically the LB options this season? and maybe Lewis at a push. If we even bother with a LB that is. I assume Gomez will find himself higher up the pitch this year
Yes.

It will be the usual. Control the game and tire the opposition out by making them chase the ball and exploit gaps that they haven't sensed or picked up on.

And when pressing up forward. Give the ball to Doku who will terrify defenders with the explosive dribbling speed that he has. Then cross the ball to Haaland and Voila.

It will be the usual. Control the game and tire the opposition out by making them chase the ball and exploit gaps that they haven't sensed or picked up on.

And when pressing up forward. Give the ball to Doku who will terrify defenders with the explosive dribbling speed that he has. Then cross the ball to Haaland and Voila.
When did Voila sign?Like Alvarez myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.