Manchester City v Gillingham 2nd Division Play Off Final 1999 23 Years Today.

We had the best support in the country back then, and I’d argue there hasn’t been a club with support like it since.

Leeds fans have been fantastic since fans have been allowed to come back from Covid lockdowns, but they didn’t have the support we did in the third tier (Norwich had better third tier attendances than Leeds in two of Leeds’ three seasons in the third tier), especially when they are a one club city. And they never had anything like we had at Blackburn. That day was one of the peak moments of support any club has seen in this country it was fucking brillliant!

We had an ultra-Mancunian thick-skinned fanatical defiance back then. It was a cool anti-mainstream sub-culture to be a City fan. We don’t seem to have that these days. Which is a real shame because we could still have that cool anti-mainstream sub-culture feel to our support with all the UEFA/Cartel/media shit we face these days if we really pushed it but I think the club’s yearning for the opposite dilutes and overrides it (and prices it out!) and also a lot of our fans seem thin-skinned and brow beaten by all the UEFA/Cartel/media shit we face these days instead of standing defiantly tall against it.

Imagine if we had today’s club and team but the support of that era…

View attachment 47625
We do have the support of that era.....all old and donald ducked ha

That sign was V Chelsea last game of the season (2001?) and we invaded the pitch then some threw turf at Chelsea then the stewards formed a line so some attacked Chelsea fans in the North stand. Made a mockery of the sign but hey ho......these things happened back then and worse. v chelsea 2001 the best fans in the land and all the world  crop  1000pix.jpg

Watched the game again tonight, and still get emotional, as I do with all the special moments we have experienced. But lets face it, we were at our lowest point when Gillingham were two nil up with a couple of minutes to go, great memories.

It's funny when you look back now, but I do sometimes wonder what would've happened if we'd have lost that game?

I can imagine that bids would've come in for Weaver, Morrison, Wiekens, Cooke and Horlock. We would've struggled to replace them. I think if this would've happened we'd have struggled to get out of the league and maybe Big Joe would've been poached. If we'd have managed to go up, we'd not go up again. Would KK have come in? Probably not.

Of course, it's all academic but it shows sometimes how the tiniest of margins can make a huge impact. I

The amount of ups and downs I've seen watching City has been incredible! I was there in 1999 and still can't believe we won the PL just over 10 years later!!

Watching it last night made me realise I didn't remember a single thing about extra time. It was all a blur after Dickov's goal. There were a few hairy moments, what a keeper Weaver was in his prime!

We do have the support of that era.....all old and donald ducked ha

That sign was V Chelsea last game of the season (2001?) and we invaded the pitch then some threw turf at Chelsea then the stewards formed a line so some attacked Chelsea fans in the North stand. Made a mockery of the sign but hey ho......these things happened back then and worse. View attachment 47899
Best Fa in the land of all the world? What’s going on here?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.