Manchester City v Gillingham 2nd Division Play Off Final 1999 23 Years Today.

Weirdly I found my video of it the other day, terrible quality and nerdily ran it through an AI quality upscaler and it looks waaaay better now. Took about 6 hours and I'll prob never watch it, but it was a small victory for technology. Weird seeing how Sky Sports used to look.

Just watching this now. Funny enough I have never seen the full match before. Had to listen on the radio back than.

It's not a good watch lol the pitch is shit players from both side keep slipping over hopefully City can win lol :)

City fans in great voice
Bloody hell mate. I must have watched that game (and the Blackburn one) 20 times at least.

Weirdly I found my video of it the other day, terrible quality and nerdily ran it through an AI quality upscaler and it looks waaaay better now. Took about 6 hours and I'll prob never watch it, but it was a small victory for technology. Weird seeing how Sky Sports used to look.
Did Sky cover United's first Mason Mount bid in the half time break?

Seems like yesterday. Travelled down in my older brothers car with his son & our Dad. The quality of the football was awful. The guy sat next to us left at around 85 minutes with the words "Well there's no way 2 Manchester clubs are going to score twice in the last few minutes in the same week!." (Remember the swamp dwellers had won the chumps league the previous week).
Anyway he got back to his seat in time for extra time. Great day out and result in the end. Thank God for Joe Royle, Terry Cook, Paul Dickov, Nicky Weaver, Kevin Horlock and the rest of the team. Was sat behind the goal about 3/4 up. Great finish by Dickov. Funnily enough once we stopped passing sideways and attacked we looked like we would get something from the game. There were rumours of us going out of business if we had of lost. Now the worlds richest club and worth around 4-5 billion pounds. Not a bad turnaround. Well done City.
Joe Royle‘s son left at the same time and disconsolately went back to the hotel. Didn’t find out we had won till his mum got back.

Just watching this now. Funny enough I have never seen the full match before. Had to listen on the radio back than.

It's not a good watch lol the pitch is shit players from both side keep slipping over hopefully City can win lol :)

City fans in great voice
radio would have been Andy Buckley commentating. I used to have to listen quite a lot of games back then. Not that match luckily. He was brilliant.

The one thing I remember about that day outside of what happened on the pitch, was four of us getting off at the wrong "Wembley" and having to suffer the long walk to the stadium in hailstones.

It was fecking freezing, I only had a short sleeved City top on.

On Wembley high street somewhere there was a sports shop that sold me a tracksuit top (no pants) for £50 thats 23 years ago.............ah well the footballing Gods must have taken sympathy on me for been ripped off/and stupid and thats the reason we won.

Thats what I tell my blue mates anyway:-)

What a day!!

Joe Royle‘s son left at the same time and disconsolately went back to the hotel. Didn’t find out we had won till his mum got back.
At least his Mum gave him better news than my Mum.
Mine said she had been cheering the Gillingham goals with my sister as she thought they were City as they were wearing blue!! They were sat watching it in London Welsh rugby clubhouse in Richmond and the landlord who was a friend came over and asked them why they were cheering. Ah well....all's well that ends well.

i agree with everything written here mate, they were great times, the camaraderie we all shared, our humour, the madness of in particular the 98/99 & 99/2000 seasons were somethings else, till my last breath i’ll remember those days & our part of it with a wry smile & a sense of despite how great our success is now & we don’t half deserve it & enjoy it, we sadly won’t experience what it was to be a blue at all those away grounds away in those leagues & at maine road and our beloved pubs anymore sadly,
there’s many ways we could try to describe it to those who weren’t lucky enough to be a part of it there was more than a hint of danger about being a blue then, we revelled in it to a certain extent, the atmosphere on match days were something else, we were the opposite of the sanitised disneyland nonsense from across the road, we were real, we were gritty, if that lot were the posh snobs holding a dinner party we were the roughnecks gatecrashing the gaff & nicking the booze from the fridge,
But no words would ever fully do it justice but yours come as close to hitting the nail on the head. you’ve made me reminisce about the good/bad old days mate.
Don't know why but you just reminded me of a boxing day game I was at...might have been around 2000......defo away....some bloke behind me starts singing 'scooby doo is a blue'...I burst out laughing and turned round then burst out laughing again because he was fancy dressed up as scooby doo. With my Dad in his flat cap and he says..."what are these guys next to me smoking?" I look over and there's 2 guys lighting up a fat reefer...."oh that's weed" i asked him "do you want to move"...."nah its fine" he said..... Good memories.

I've never seen this covered anywhere before (unless I've missed it and it's been done to death), but Dickov's goal takes a deflection, doesn't it?!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.