Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LFC-Fans said:
robbieg said:
It's interesting to hear what United want out of the game. Surely a draw and Chelsea to come from behind and sneak the title no?
Yet I'm reading that United will be routing for us? Why??

From the sounds coming from RedCafe, it seems that they want you to win.

Mainly because they just don't want us to win it, and given the harsh choice they would rather you win it than us. :)
It's because they're, what's the word..... Blerts? Anyway, who gives a flying fuck what the rags think? They're irrelevant.

Would City have got either of Liverpol's pens against WHU?
Not a chance.
City have NOT BEEN given around 20 hand balls in games this season. According to the refs union the ball always hits the hand and NOT the other way round. From memory we have been given around 2 such pens - which considering the amount of possession we get in opponents penalty areas as we pass the ball around trying to break through the opposition lines is a complete joke.
As to the second pen. Not in a million years. City rarely ever get a pen unless the offence occurs with the player running in the direction of the goal or a goal scoring opportunity is blocked. The only equivalent was the pen Dzeko got against Spurs away. Dzeko was much closer to the goal and would actually have got a shot off. The Spurs player touched the ball (but did not clear it or move it much) and then cleaned Dzeko out. the Spurs player was sent off as well - yet that was rescinded on appeal - the clear conclusion being that he pen would not have been given if the ref had spotted the touch!
And don't get me started on refs applying the letter of the law equally to both teams. The tolerance level for a City player getting a card is far far lower than for an opponent. Utd and Arsenal away are perfect case studies in this respect.

Liverpool fans are having a Giraffe the way they moan about ref decisions benefiting us.

Just a question; if Gerrard picks up a yellow against us (10 yellows before 2nd Sunday in April), does he get a 1 or 2 game ban? 2 would mean he misses the Chelsea game.

BlueAnorak said:
Not a chance.
City have NOT BEEN given around 20 hand balls in games this season. According to the refs union the ball always hits the hand and NOT the other way round. From memory we have been given around 2 such pens - which considering the amount of possession we get in opponents penalty areas as we pass the ball around trying to break through the opposition lines is a complete joke.
As to the second pen. Not in a million years. City rarely ever get a pen unless the offence occurs with the player running in the direction of the goal or a goal scoring opportunity is blocked. The only equivalent was the pen Dzeko got against Spurs away. Dzeko was much closer to the goal and would actually have got a shot off. The Spurs player touched the ball (but did not clear it or move it much) and then cleaned Dzeko out. the Spurs player was sent off as well - yet that was rescinded on appeal - the clear conclusion being that he pen would not have been given if the ref had spotted the touch!
And don't get me started on refs applying the letter of the law equally to both teams. The tolerance level for a City player getting a card is far far lower than for an opponent. Utd and Arsenal away are perfect case studies in this respect.

Liverpool fans are having a Giraffe the way they moan about ref decisions benefiting us.

Agree with you, the amount of soft pens giddypool are getting is becoming a joke now. looking forward to the game. But you just know the ref or a penalty that shouldn't be given is going to be the talking point of the match. The ref will buckle under the magical dust from the kop and award 5 pens.

We need to be on our A game and put the game out of reach asap, only way we going to win or we nick a 91st min goal from a corner (demi lol).

BlueAnorak said:
Not a chance.

Weekend Football
Fouls
Manchester City 9-15 Southampton West Ham United 10-9 Liverpool
Yellow Cards
Manchester City 2-0 Southampton West Ham United 4-0 Liverpool
So much for Home Advantage. Liverpool's fouls were much worse as well, consistent use of elbows on Carroll by several Pool players (some given, more not given although blatant) and some seriously nasty tackles by Flanagan, Lucas and Henderson in particular.

If we play the game and not the occasion, I don't see any reason why we can't come away with something. On paper, we are the better team. On our day, we are the better team. Even when we weren't at our best, we still beat them. They need us to get caught up in it and they need us to play with a little bit of fear cause that's the only way they'll take this game from us.

Everyone is bigging them up and forgetting what we can do, and quite frankly, I'm happy to go into this as the underdog. All the pressure is on them, despite how much they try and shift it to us. They need a win, whereas we could walk away with a win or a draw and be more than satisfied. If we go there, play our game and take it to them, then I'm rather confident. It's if we see them as this big scary team with a big scary atmosphere and let them play, then we will get beat.

We will also get beat if we don't cover up the space between the midfield and the defence. Southampton got in there far too many times and they're just a poor mans Liverpool. Toure and Fernandinho get caught too high up the field, neither of them tend to sit but when Garcia came on, he just sat there and suddenly, the Southampton threat was minimalized ten fold. So he potentially could be an option for this game, just as necessary protection. They will look to run in behind, both from midfield and with the front two, so I hope we do something to counter that. Arsenal went there and played a high line and got absolutely taken apart. They will move all over the place, and we have to be switched on at all times.

It's a massive occasion for the Scousers. They want the league, they want it for the 96 and they want it for Gerrard. Their biggest threat could be themselves. If they go too hard in this game, it could always backfire. If they are too committed, they could easily get a red or give away a penalty. Your decision making in games like this becomes very nervy and those Liverpool players won't have played in anything like this before. We've been there and done it.

Whatever the media says, we are in a much better position in this game than everyone even realises. We win this game and we are then very very comfortable in the driving seat. We could lose a game and still go and walk the league. But if we were to win this game, it's a massive massive step towards the league. If someone offered me a draw now, I'd take it, and I'm sure most others would. Going there and keeping the title in our hands is the imperative, and I think we are more than capable.

I'm absolutely shitting myself already for this, but if I was Pellers, I'd go for:

Hart
Zaba
Vinnie
MDM
Kolarov
Garcia
Toure
Nasri
Navas
Silva
Negredo

That is a world class team, and even now I still look at it and wonder if it will be able to do the job. I am a prime example of what a game of this magnitude can do to your thinking. That team is head and shoulders above the Scousers, but suddenly, in a big game, you start to doubt it. I just hope the players are mentally stronger than I am.

I'll go for 2-2, or 2-1 City, with a Negredo goal thrown in there somewhere. Either way I'd be satisified as fook.

ianw16 said:
Just a question; if Gerrard picks up a yellow against us (10 yellows before 2nd Sunday in April), does he get a 1 or 2 game ban? 2 would mean he misses the Chelsea game.

2 game ban.

Bring it on. There will be goals, and I think we will come out on top. We have goals throughout the team. Don't think Liverpool will be able to handle City's midfield. We do need our defence to be at their best however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.