Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way the media bandwaggon will go on about this game is for Liverpool to win and to remember those who lost their lives at Hillsborough we will surely be the underdogs for this one.

The pressure in my eyes is all on Liverpool rather than us.

Just hope the ref is strong enough to cope.

The atmosphere can go either way. Anfield isn't usually all that - but for a big occassion like this you would assume they will be bang up for it. But this is emotional - their players in particular will feel that emotion all week leading up to this. It wont be a "lets get behind the team and roar them on" atmosphere, it will be dark, deep and sombre, reflecting on those that lost their lives. I think they will back the team but the players will have to play with the weight of the crowd on their shoulders. I think it adds an element that might work in our favour. Had it been any other weekend they would be up for it and without that added aspect.

Soak up the pressure early on and stay compact and we will grow into the game. They haven't played many teams that have managed to do that recently. Unless they play a more defensive midfield trio I think we match up very well. Fernandinho will need to really get at them and I would play Milner to cover Sterling and double up down that side. But they have about as much threat as any other team we play. Our players are more than capable of doing something special. Henderson, Coutinho, Allen, Lucas are all good without being class consistently. Silva, Fernandinho, Yaya, Nasri have performed in big games this season and will know what they have to do. We will see. I am confident the team can do the job required. They have to win, and their over confidence may cause them problems. If they press high and we keep the ball we will be at their defence very quickly. Arsenal had opportunities to do so but lost the ball in key areas. If we keep the ball we will get through their midfield. Gerrard isn't the quickest - if Coutinho plays they will have little cover.

I'm nervous about this one... the Hillsborough thing, the huge magnitude of the game on the prem, who will crumble and who will rise to the top?

supercity88 said:
The atmosphere can go either way. Anfield isn't usually all that - but for a big occassion like this you would assume they will be bang up for it. But this is emotional - their players in particular will feel that emotion all week leading up to this. It wont be a "lets get behind the team and roar them on" atmosphere, it will be dark, deep and sombre, reflecting on those that lost their lives. I think they will back the team but the players will have to play with the weight of the crowd on their shoulders. I think it adds an element that might work in our favour. Had it been any other weekend they would be up for it and without that added aspect.

Soak up the pressure early on and stay compact and we will grow into the game. They haven't played many teams that have managed to do that recently. Unless they play a more defensive midfield trio I think we match up very well. Fernandinho will need to really get at them and I would play Milner to cover Sterling and double up down that side. But they have about as much threat as any other team we play. Our players are more than capable of doing something special. Henderson, Coutinho, Allen, Lucas are all good without being class consistently. Silva, Fernandinho, Yaya, Nasri have performed in big games this season and will know what they have to do. We will see. I am confident the team can do the job required. They have to win, and their over confidence may cause them problems. If they press high and we keep the ball we will be at their defence very quickly. Arsenal had opportunities to do so but lost the ball in key areas. If we keep the ball we will get through their midfield. Gerrard isn't the quickest - if Coutinho plays they will have little cover.

It could be emotionally draining for their players, particularly the younger ones that weren't born in 1989 and are new to Liverpool. They'll probably all have been reminded about the stick their reserve GK got when caught smiling during a Hillsborough memorial service.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
We must close the lines between our midfield and defence.

Southampton have a better press than Liverpool and it was highly noticeable on Saturday how the two centre backs always parted to the full back positions to receive the ball from the goalkeeper.

That allowed Saints to always have a spare man in the middle to come and receive the ball, as their full backs occupied our own.

Three or four times they attempted the lofted pass between Demichelis and Kolarov.

They didn't have the Liverpool threat in the forward position, but the tactics were spot on.

We need to give them something different to think about, in terms of our shape.

I hope to god we don't play with a target man, as that plays more into the robots they have at the back.

Think we will see the team which Pellegrini picked at the Nou Camp.

I'd like to see something like this, don't think Skrtel would enjoy Jovetic's level of technical ability.

..........................Hart...................
Zabba Komps....Demichelis....Clichy
........................Garcia.....................
....... Fernandinho....Yaya.....Milner
..................Silva..............Jovetic............

Interesting team selection. Must admit I like the idea of Jovetic upfront (assuming Kun is not ready to start).

Silva has to keep his central role.

We have to introduce some additional solidity, which means Navas and or Nasri moving to the bench. Garcia is a must but I cannot decide whether or not I'd bring Milner into the starting line-up. In possession, I would want Nasri in there and he was pretty tenacious in the face of Southampton's pressing; if they have a lot of the ball, I'd want Milner. I think Pellegrini will opt to start Nasri.

york away to this! said:
I'm nervous about this one... the Hillsborough thing, the huge magnitude of the game on the prem, who will crumble and who will rise to the top?

I think there will be an absolutely ridiculous amount of pressure on the Liverpool players. They're a very good team of that there's no doubt, but they are largely unproven when it comes to winning things. I thought they were okay against West Ham, but I also thought West Ham were almost completely useless. One thing's for sure, yesterday Liverpool didn't look like a team steaming their way to the title.

Next weekend is a cup final of sorts. As Vinny said recently we've been here before a few times in recent years, they haven't. On that basis I think it's just as likely that they'll simply crumble under the weight of the occasion. Those talking about Hillsborough should remind themselves of what happened when we went to $old Trafford for the Munich anniversary game. The occasion killed United and we played without pressure and won easily.

OB1 said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
We must close the lines between our midfield and defence.

Southampton have a better press than Liverpool and it was highly noticeable on Saturday how the two centre backs always parted to the full back positions to receive the ball from the goalkeeper.

That allowed Saints to always have a spare man in the middle to come and receive the ball, as their full backs occupied our own.

Three or four times they attempted the lofted pass between Demichelis and Kolarov.

They didn't have the Liverpool threat in the forward position, but the tactics were spot on.

We need to give them something different to think about, in terms of our shape.

I hope to god we don't play with a target man, as that plays more into the robots they have at the back.

Think we will see the team which Pellegrini picked at the Nou Camp.

I'd like to see something like this, don't think Skrtel would enjoy Jovetic's level of technical ability.

..........................Hart...................
Zabba Komps....Demichelis....Clichy
........................Garcia.....................
....... Fernandinho....Yaya.....Milner
..................Silva..............Jovetic............

Interesting team selection. Must admit I like the idea of Jovetic upfront (assuming Kun is not ready to start).

Silva has to keep his central role.

We have to introduce some additional solidity, which means Navas and or Nasri moving to the bench. Garcia is a must but I cannot decide whether or not I'd bring Milner into the starting line-up. In possession, I would want Nasri in there and he was pretty tenacious in the face of Southampton's pressing; if they have a lot of the ball, I'd want Milner. I think Pellegrini will opt to start Nasri.

I am certain Aguero will start.

stonie said:
So the dippers are bigging it up saying win it for the 96, well we've pissed on chips before at the swamp at the Munich anniversary so let's let's win it for the 39...

Heysel wasnt their fault.

Is Coutinho injured? He came off at half-time and it seemed a strange one if tactical?

If Lucas plays, then Fernandinho has 90 minutes to book a guaranteed World Cup place.

As long as Nasri does not start, I have an increased sense of confidence.

It's Monday now. Imagine the pressure cooker on Saturday night in Merseyslide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.