Manchester public transport vision

If they’d started after the bomb, then maybe, but too much (old/derelict) has been built on since then. It’s cheaper and easier to cut/cover than dig tunnels. Hence why crossrail in London is so exhorbitant.
Trams are the cheapest and quickest way to get a ‘clean’ public transport system running in an old city... unless you’re say China and just shift everyone out of the way.

Iirc looking at the HS2 plans .. it involves a tunnel from Manchester airport area through to the city centre...

Hs2 shows how backwards this country is in going forward, rail is going to be an old technology by the time it is built. Elon Musk and Richard Branson are building hyper loops in the States and United Arab Emirates respectively which will rapidly shorten journeys and maybe take a few less planes out of the sky as it’s less polluting, whilst we haven’t broken ground yet on something that will get you to Euston half an hour quicker. Bonkers.

Hyper Loops!!
LOL

The only place you’ll ever see one of those working commercially is in the pages of the Eagle comic.

OK. That’s handy. I was always limited for work in Manchester as I don’t drive. It was town or nothing.

On a side note, does anyone ever get their ticket checked on the tram? I used it across three days in January and didn’t get asked once. The inspectors even got on at one point. Fuck knows how many people must dodge.

I’ve seen them get on on three occasions and find someone with no ticket.
Two of them just left the tram unchallenged and the third just started screaming racism and was allowed to continue.

They need to sort out the public transport we have now. The trains are never on time and are old as anything. The buses are the same.

Trying to get a bus from kingsway is impossible.
In what way is it impossible? Are they too full to get on or do none come?

Tram to Midd interests me. If I do move back to Manchester then I’d look at Rhodes. Traffic jams on the Rochdale Road are frustrating.

Yeah it’s shocking around there.

Glad my commute has changed since living there.

Surprising still with Bowker Vale stop so close.

If they’d started after the bomb, then maybe, but too much (old/derelict) has been built on since then. It’s cheaper and easier to cut/cover than dig tunnels. Hence why crossrail in London is so exhorbitant.
Trams are the cheapest and quickest way to get a ‘clean’ public transport system running in an old city... unless you’re say China and just shift everyone out of the way.

Iirc looking at the HS2 plans .. it involves a tunnel from Manchester airport area through to the city centre...
Surely they could start with what already exists:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...d-manchester-tunnels-pictures-history-9471616

Obviously it would need work to bring them back up to scratch and extend, but IMO that's where the majority of the money should be spent. Getting an actual underground system would have been mega for the City.

Better image for @quiet_riot

gm-ournetwork.jpg

Not much blue on there.........

Surely they could start with what already exists:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...d-manchester-tunnels-pictures-history-9471616

Obviously it would need work to bring them back up to scratch and extend, but IMO that's where the majority of the money should be spent. Getting an actual underground system would have been mega for the City.

I agree having an underground would be great, but even with the different size tunnels/spaces etc, it would still be a harder task, than nothing being there, because a tunnel boring machine (with auto tunnel lining) cant be done, as too much ‘infrastructure’ lies in the ground/above ground. This is why crossrail has been so expensive - digging a tunnel and associated additional space under infrastructure is time consuming and fraught with many unforeseen issues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.