Manchester traffic

Agree with most of what’s been said. Just left work and jumped on the M60 and I’m sat here now, doing about 20mph max. We just don’t have the infrastructure.
And that excatly where the government wants you, stuck in a massive traffic jam, burning up fuel which is heavily tax laden
Even though our roads in the west are clogged with traffic they encourage car ownership, why wouldnt they with all the revenue cars raise for their coffers.

Take a city like Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong..... Ive spent time there, they can move 30,000 people from one side of the city to the other in minutes, on really good trains and underground, lots and lots of trains, lots of underground stations.
Owning a car is not necessary.
They invested in public transport, our governments in the west never will.

Manchester is still mainly set out as it was built before cars were in abundance as a densely populated place, most roads both major or minor cannont handdle the amount of cars in motion or parked.

All major rds into and out of Manchester city centre are packed, as are buses and trams in rush hr
One way systems and pedestrianisation of a mile raditius of the city centre is an option

Farming out business and industry to the other towns in GM rather than it all being centred in town would help.

Basically the city is too small and compact for it's growth.
Spot on!

Our little roads aren’t designed for two banks of parked cars and two way traffic. Our big roads aren’t capable of moving hundreds of thousands of people every rush hour. Our buses are on the same roads as all this and in many areas so are the Mets which is just ridiculous! and cycling is pitiful.

The public transport for a conurbation of 2.6m is terrible!

Has a city ever cried out for an underground more than Manchester?

The roads are not fit for purpose!

Ah, altruism. Yes, I remember now, that is in ample supply on the roads and byways of Manchester. Excellent idea. Maybe we could shutdown all the traffic lights during rush hour so that friendly Mancs can all help each other get to work, and home, quicker. Outstanding idea!

I explained the “political” aspect of it at the end.

Carry on with the grand delusion. Sadly, I’m having to live with it here!

I havent a fucking clue what you are on about.

And we need a proper ring road, not the wibbly, wobbly worm with more choke points than the Boston Strangler that we currently enjoy.
The problem there is that the current inner ring road is too close to the city centre and increasing capacity will choke off development. They either need to move the inner ring road further out as far as Alan Turing Way or go the Boston route and put the inner ring road and major arterial routes underground. Or both.

Has a city ever cried out for an underground more than Manchester?
Imagine how the people of Leeds feel then. They don't even have a tram and their proposed trolleybus system was thrown out as well. I believe they are the largest city in Europe without any kind of mass transport system.

Fucking horrible. Took me 2hours to get to the airport with taxi from Arndale so I missed my flight home. Now I have to pay 300 bloody pounds to get back to Sweden tomorrow. Sterlings goal still made it worth it but feels so fucking shite atm

Fucking horrible. Took me 2hours to get to the airport with taxi from Arndale so I missed my flight home. Now I have to pay 300 bloody pounds to get back to Sweden tomorrow. Sterlings goal still made it worth it but feels so fucking shite atm

not being funny, but the trains run to the airport every 20 mins, takes 20-30 mins and costs about £7

I never get a taxi to the airport unless it's daft o'clock as it's a pain in the arse and costly.

roads between 5 and 7 are best avoided, convinced tgat why we now play midweeks at 8pm to ease congestion

should have got the train?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.