Manchester v Liverpool

I go on a lot about Liverpool FC on here but it doesn't really cloud my overall judgment of the city. I never met my late grandfather but he was from West Derby and an Evertonian so I find it hard to truly rant about the city with any conviction, though i'm sure i've probably posted negatively on here about the place before.

Both my dad and I have been mistaken for Scousers in the past especially when drunk, there must be a slight twang to my accent. I can remember a girl in a nightclub being convinced I was Scouse until I showed my city of birth on my passport. My surname is also common on Merseyside.

I think we're the two most similar cities in the UK. Worked some labouring jobs on Water Street in my late teens and spent a bit of time in the city centre. Enjoyed the occasional banter I got from other lads on site. Don't mind the place at all.

Great Post, OP. I totally agree with you. I love both cities and most of the people. It's only when football gets mentioned that those of the red persuasions turn into complete fuckwits.

Liverpool has a great city centre and the docks are a great place to spend time around. I've had a lot of good times in Liverpool, I just don't get in to talking about football when I go there!

Went for my birthday last year to the Docks and Beatles museum.

It’s a nice city in the centre and probably cleaner than Manchester around the city centre, although Manchester has a lot more going on and is obviously much more of an economic force.

I can’t get past Liverpool FC unfortunately and it clouds my judgment of the people quite often.

I tend to always presume the worst about Scousers and then if they’re Everton I completely change my mind and have a nice chat with them.

Just wondering what people's opinions are about both cities? There is a lot of rivalry between us both and that is understandable due to how close we are to each other in location. Sometimes there is bad blood and this is what tends to get reported, though I know we also get along pretty well.

I am from Liverpool, I live there, work there, and was born there. I like my city. It has it bad spots like everywhere else, but since 2008 it has began to grow again. Not too sure about the glass towers that keep popping up alongside the river, but on the whole it is a nice city centre. We are certainly a lot more than The Beatles, though we are proud of them. I like Manchester, again a city that has regenerated in recent times. I I like Salford Quays, nice place to walk around. I have visited the city many times. I even had a Manchester girlfriend when I was younger. We went out for around 18 months. I like Manchester people, and I tend to end up mixing with them when I am on holiday, but I guess a lot of us do.

I think we have a lot in common, our port and docks and you factories and mills needed one another. the canals, ship canal, over 10% of those who died fighting for the British in WW1 came from the North west area, both suffered in the blitz, both have proud working class backgrounds, both have a history of fighting for what they believe in, the music scenes of both cities is pretty amazing, the M62, the banter, both have footy teams in red who think they are better than anyone else.

We have our bad things and idiot people as well, but I like both cities. Then again, I just like people and could not give two fecks where anyone is from. I only dislike evil people and idiots. I can even abide a few kopites and manure fans (Though I have my limits) Our cities have a lot of proud histories, we also have some bad history, and neither should be forgotten

I posted this after the Livarpool thread got a few slavery comments and thought it better to discuss those things elsewhere (here) and leave that thread for Kopite fun. Hope you don't mind me starting one here.

We all have our own opinions and are entitled to them. Just wondering what everyone thinks of each city? I know there are a few Scousers on here as well. I am all up for micky taking, hatred I will ignore.

I do waffle on sorry
To be fair matey, I think most of the grief for a lot of scousers on here comes from an association made to that particular unsavoury football club in your city that play in red (plus the Liverpool fans that post on here talk absolute pish and just play City bingo once their mask slips).

As a loose and lazy link, that makes you guilty by association (I'm sure in my posting history I could be accused of this not just with folk from Liverpool to be honest).

For what it's worth, I enjoy your comment in the Liverpool thread you definitely add to it..........

Went for my birthday last year to the Docks and Beatles museum.

It’s a nice city in the centre and probably cleaner than Manchester around the city centre, although Manchester has a lot more going on and is obviously much more of an economic force.

I can’t get past Liverpool FC unfortunately and it clouds my judgment of the people quite often.

I tend to always presume the worst about Scousers and then if they’re Everton I completely change my mind and have a nice chat with them.
Come on, 'fess up - how many times you been now?

Ex wife is a scouser and my son lives there. Great city with great people, apart from when it comes to football when it just gets a bit fucking weird.

I believe Liverpool's support are about as Scouse as Jacob Rees-Mogg. They're all North Wales, Northampton and Norway. I acknowledged Liverpool's title win on my Facebook and tagged all Liverpool supporting friends on there. They're from Hereford, Hereford, Hereford, Ellesmere Port (in fairness, she does sound like a Mickey Mouser), South Wales and East London. Most Scousers I know are Evertonians. Look at players like Fowler or McManaman. Grew up as Everton fans. As did Barton.

I do like Liverpool and am due there at the weekend for something. There's some great independent businesses for clothes plus I've found the people helpful and polite when I need things. There's a good spirit to it too. I personally wish they could self-deprecate a bit more like Mancs do. "Liverpool's the greatest place in the world" they go. Like everywhere, it's got good points and bad points. That statement is always bollocks.

Moving football aside, Liverpool is beautiful city with a great nightlife, lots of things to do with the family.

I say this with my first 3 words taken into account still, I hate scousers. Nearly all ive met, so I don’t go to Liverpool as often as I’d like. However when we do go, I tend to enjoy it.

I love Manchester for many reasons, but the city centre is much to be desired. I travel a lot for work and one thing that is consistently said about manchester vs other major cities; it’s too spread out. I get that wholeheartedly, if you’re in Manchester for drinks and food then you need to decide where you’re going first or face an Uber or a long walk to anywhere else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.