Mancini fear of failure?

Soulboy said:
BlueCityfan said:
When City drop points..i feel darkness in my heart. But when we make a convincing comeback win again..it all dissappears. I can't wait till the wigan game..it's a must win and im sure we will win.

We are still 3rd..and as long as we are there, no need to worry..but when you are a die hard city fan it's only natural, i understand.

The Tottenham and Chelsea games will be crucial. If we fail in them...we are done unless a miracle happens.

Keep the faith fellow blues.

When was the last time we had a "convincing comeback win"?

When we won West brom 3-0 few weeks ago, after drawing against birmingham 2-2 :D

JoeMercer'sWay said:
a) don't you call what I think dumb.

If you think that it is wrong to call the idea that 19 other teams have declined and we have stayed exactly still, as the reason for the same points/games ratio as dumb, then you have greater problems than your opinions on this forum.

b) I exaggerated on everybody else, but the other teams around us(having spent much less than us) have either made tiny improvements(none more than 3 points) or capitulated(Chelsea/Liverpool), and we have made no progress at all on points. It isn't progress to be at the same level last season.

Firstly, you keep trotting out his idea about money spent. The cold, hard fact is that money spent equals the square root of fuck all. Ask Leeds what a shedload of money buys you. Or QPR. Or Malaga.

Secondly, you cannot measure progress on points for the reasons stated earlier. To save you the look up, these were because this is a completely different league with different teams in it this year and different squads, and because we haven't played the same games this year as we had by this point last year (and neither has the rest of the league). You may as well compare the amount of offsides last year to this one as it provides the same measure of success.

Easy example for you; imagine trying to compare this City to the City two years ago. This is the exact same reason why you cannot compare teams across different seasons.

c) I pay to go and watch us win and be entertaining at the same time, it's a sport but it's also about being successful and having enjoyment watching the product. Gritty 1-0 wins are great on occassion but we don't even do that, and with all the money spent for us to play well shouldn't be a big ask.

"Product"? "Entertaining"?

Listen, this is a sporting competition. If you want entertaining football, stick to FIFA. There's a reason why the game's points are awarded on the basis of who won and not who played better football.

It wasn't YOUR money that the Sheikh spent, and it has absolutely nothing to do with you whether he spent £1 or £1 billion on the team. You are supposed to attend because you support the athletes competing on the field. Paying doesn't give you any right to dictate what you want to see on the pitch, not even a bit of a right.

City owe you absolutely nothing. They owe me absolutely nothing. They owe all of us absolutely nothing. They are a business based upon sporting competition, no different from a MMA promotion or Sale Harriers. Their first priority is to win games, not to entertain me and you.

That's the difference you see, as you said yourself you "pay to go and watch us win and be entertaining at the same time, ... it's also about being successful and having enjoyment watching the product". I pay to go and watch City because they are the club I've supported since I was a boy and want to see them compete live in the flesh.

There's a horrific sense of entitlement that the Premiership (or Sky or whatever) has bred into fans, where they believe that spending money gives them a right to dictate how a team should perform because THEY need to be entertained.

If you want entertainment, watch a circus. If you want watch sporting competition, I'll see you at Eastlands.

d) We should have got more than 5 points in the last 5 games, not drawn with Blackburn at home, Birmingham away, Fulham home and we should not have lost to Everton home, Villa away, Sunderland away, so even if we were still 3rd we should be on the tails of the top 2 instead of clawing onto 3rd and the CL by virtue of playing more games.

Two problems with this;

1. Why exactly should we have won those games? What gives us the unalienable right to just turn up and walk over other teams?
2. Even on even games we are in the CL places.

Citycitytid said:
2me2652.jpg

If you judge him by the same criteria that Mancini is been judged by, he is an utter failure at Madrid.

Pellegrini managed Real Madrid for 38 games. During that time, he won 31 games, drew 4 and lost 3.
Mourinho, with only 24 games managed for Real Madrid, has won 19, tied 3 and lost 2.

If Mourinho wants to have better numbers than Pellegrini, then he can only draw one more game and lose another (or any other combination that allows only giving away 4 points for the rest of the season).

By this time last season, the following numbers were fact:
  • Pellegrini had 65 points to Barcelona's 62 (right now, Barcelona have 68 and Real Madrid have 61).

Pellegrini had managed to win 20 games drew 2 and lose 3 (Mourinho currently has won 19, tied 4 and lost 2)

Pellegrini didn't look too bad defensively, Real Madrid had conceeded 20 goals last season, this season Mourinho's Rock Solid Ultra Mega Genius defensive system has managed to only concede 19 goals.

Pellegrini's Madrid had scored by this moment 67 goals (compared to 55 this season)

Pellegrini lost last season's league by a difference of just 3 points (96 points to Barcelona's 99).

Before leaving, Manuel Pellegrini famously said "whoever takes my place better make 100 points next season..."

In addition to this, Mourinho has just complained about the tiredness of his players, and has criticised his players form (Benzema especially) publicly.

Mourinho also spent huge amounts in the summer on Ozil, Di Maria and Khedira.

Due to this, he isn't the man to take us forward and shouldn't be on the list as possible City boss.

Watch how ignored or stupidly justified this post gets by those Mourinho lovers.

Damocles said:
Due to this, he isn't the man to take us forward and shouldn't be on the list as possible City boss.

You're comparing apples and oranges and you know it....:- )

Seriously, I think there are a host of similarities between Jose and Roberto (I remember Jose lambasting Joe Cole after he'd scored the winning goal in a Chelsea match once). The thing with Mourinho is that you can't argue wherever he goes, the players buy into what he's trying to do almost immediately - whether that's due to sheer charisma or his coaching methods who knows. But they love him and do seem to be prepared to run through brick walls for him. This is in stark contrast to the way it seems our players react to Roberto.

Also it's worth noting, even if Mourinho wins nothing at Madrid this season he will still be the number 1 choice for any top club looking for a manager come this summer - the same cannot be said of Roberto - and I don't mean that as a slight on our manager at all. It's just a fact (and I know you love those!).

Read through few pages and seems more and more people are seeing mancini for what he is: Unsuitable for the premiership. I've been consistent from day one of his appointment yet gave him the benefit of the doubt at first despite a gut feeling he was not the right man to be in charge and spend vast ammounts of money . Retaining him in the summer shocked me as it was clear he was unsuitable and his sterile tactics cost us in the BIG games last season.
This season has seen a continuation of that and it's costing us big time. WHat people fail to realise is that being 3rd is not the point. Being so many points behind the team currently in top spot is an issue and I believe that is what our owners will be loing at.
THis team lacks spirit, lacks personality, lacks guts. Games fizzle out because the players simply cannot muster up a second wind to get late goals, to not concede late goals. As I said yesterday, very few of our players care, they don't want to be here. Silva [and maybe Milner] are the only signings by Mancini who I feel want to be at City the rest see it as a chore. Mancini's absolute lack of personality is stamped all over this team and fuck it showed on sunday like never before.
A massive nail in Mancini's coffin was his summer signings. He was handed a blank cheque book to assemble a first 11 many managers would die for. Also to buy squad players. With Silva missing we have nothing in midfield. We have no pace. We have no width. WE have a huge lack of the integral ingredients which make a premiership team succesful. That is Mancini's fault.
Our wonderful owners gave us hope yet Mancini is killing that hope. That is what I believe to be the source of people's frustration and anger. When we were crap we had no expectations so the dissapointment wasn't so great, now we are teased with what 'could be', we see it on the horizon and fuck do we want it, we deserve it for our loyalty over these barren years. Ultimately however, Mancini and his sterile tactics and fear of losing will kill that hope once again.

Damocles said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
a) don't you call what I think dumb.

If you think that it is wrong to call the idea that 19 other teams have declined and we have stayed exactly still, as the reason for the same points/games ratio as dumb, then you have greater problems than your opinions on this forum.

b) I exaggerated on everybody else, but the other teams around us(having spent much less than us) have either made tiny improvements(none more than 3 points) or capitulated(Chelsea/Liverpool), and we have made no progress at all on points. It isn't progress to be at the same level last season.

Firstly, you keep trotting out his idea about money spent. The cold, hard fact is that money spent equals the square root of fuck all. Ask Leeds what a shedload of money buys you. Or QPR. Or Malaga.

Secondly, you cannot measure progress on points for the reasons stated earlier. To save you the look up, these were because this is a completely different league with different teams in it this year and different squads, and because we haven't played the same games this year as we had by this point last year (and neither has the rest of the league). You may as well compare the amount of offsides last year to this one as it provides the same measure of success.

Easy example for you; imagine trying to compare this City to the City two years ago. This is the exact same reason why you cannot compare teams across different seasons.

c) I pay to go and watch us win and be entertaining at the same time, it's a sport but it's also about being successful and having enjoyment watching the product. Gritty 1-0 wins are great on occassion but we don't even do that, and with all the money spent for us to play well shouldn't be a big ask.

"Product"? "Entertaining"?

Listen, this is a sporting competition. If you want entertaining football, stick to FIFA. There's a reason why the game's points are awarded on the basis of who won and not who played better football.

It wasn't YOUR money that the Sheikh spent, and it has absolutely nothing to do with you whether he spent £1 or £1 billion on the team. You are supposed to attend because you support the athletes competing on the field. Paying doesn't give you any right to dictate what you want to see on the pitch, not even a bit of a right.

City owe you absolutely nothing. They owe me absolutely nothing. They owe all of us absolutely nothing. They are a business based upon sporting competition, no different from a MMA promotion or Sale Harriers. Their first priority is to win games, not to entertain me and you.

That's the difference you see, as you said yourself you "pay to go and watch us win and be entertaining at the same time, ... it's also about being successful and having enjoyment watching the product". I pay to go and watch City because they are the club I've supported since I was a boy and want to see them compete live in the flesh.

There's a horrific sense of entitlement that the Premiership (or Sky or whatever) has bred into fans, where they believe that spending money gives them a right to dictate how a team should perform because THEY need to be entertained.

If you want entertainment, watch a circus. If you want watch sporting competition, I'll see you at Eastlands.

d) We should have got more than 5 points in the last 5 games, not drawn with Blackburn at home, Birmingham away, Fulham home and we should not have lost to Everton home, Villa away, Sunderland away, so even if we were still 3rd we should be on the tails of the top 2 instead of clawing onto 3rd and the CL by virtue of playing more games.

Two problems with this;

1. Why exactly should we have won those games? What gives us the unalienable right to just turn up and walk over other teams?
2. Even on even games we are in the CL places.

It all comes down to belief and faith, some will call that good faith and some will call it bad faith depending on your perception and reasons. You clearly, have faith that we will achieve CL football this season. You clearly believe Mancini will succeed based on the evidence you have seen so far, whatever that is, and however you perceive it. Not obtaining CL football this season, would be (by the very large general consensus) be a failure. One might not suggest failure to achieve CL football should be a sackable offence, whilst others may say it indeed is, however ultimately however you dress it up, and there are clearly people on here with PhD's in 'dressing things up', 5th place, would be a failure. Doesn't matter where we were 10 years ago, or 3 years ago (to apply your own argument about things not being compared), it would be a failure this season within the context of our own targets as a club and the fact that we have been in the top 4 virtually all season.

Some people clearly believe Mancini won't get us over the finishing line this season. Again, there reasons are based upon their own perception, about the likelihood of us playing in a manner, which is more likely to create clear cut chances, and thus goals, and victories. Playing in a way which instills confidence, cohesion, shape, all of which are again more likely to contribute to us potentially gaining momentum come the final push.

There are of course other factors to take into account, but ultimately it all comes down to belief and faith. Judgement day will soon be here, it will be at the end of the season, unless we secure 4th or ideally 3rd (and subject to who wins the CL) earlier than that. Bluemoon will be an interesting place at that point. We will find out who's faith was good and who's was bad. But it does come down to this. The only measure of progress on the pitch is ultimately the league table. That's the bread and butter of it all. From your perspective, the league table will likely indicate he is doing an adequate job, based on evidence, not faith, because we are 3rd. Those with a lack of faith are sensing or are believing (or have been for a while), that we are not going to achieve top 4 (but then there is me, who genuinely believed our target was higher than that anyway ;-)

Damocles said:
Citycitytid said:

If you judge him by the same criteria that Mancini is been judged by, he is an utter failure at Madrid.

Pellegrini managed Real Madrid for 38 games. During that time, he won 31 games, drew 4 and lost 3.
Mourinho, with only 24 games managed for Real Madrid, has won 19, tied 3 and lost 2.

If Mourinho wants to have better numbers than Pellegrini, then he can only draw one more game and lose another (or any other combination that allows only giving away 4 points for the rest of the season).

By this time last season, the following numbers were fact:
  • Pellegrini had 65 points to Barcelona's 62 (right now, Barcelona have 68 and Real Madrid have 61).

Pellegrini had managed to win 20 games drew 2 and lose 3 (Mourinho currently has won 19, tied 4 and lost 2)

Pellegrini didn't look too bad defensively, Real Madrid had conceeded 20 goals last season, this season Mourinho's Rock Solid Ultra Mega Genius defensive system has managed to only concede 19 goals.

Pellegrini's Madrid had scored by this moment 67 goals (compared to 55 this season)

Pellegrini lost last season's league by a difference of just 3 points (96 points to Barcelona's 99).

Before leaving, Manuel Pellegrini famously said "whoever takes my place better make 100 points next season..."

In addition to this, Mourinho has just complained about the tiredness of his players, and has criticised his players form (Benzema especially) publicly.

Mourinho also spent huge amounts in the summer on Ozil, Di Maria and Khedira.

Watch how ignored or stupidly justified this post gets by those Mourinho lovers.

WTF??? I haven't heard more Bullshitt in a long time!

Did you forget that he has taken them to the carling cup final and that he is on his way taking them to the next round in the CL...something Pellegrini failed to do.

It doesn't really matter how many points they take....they are still second and it's not Mourinhos fault. Barcelona is simply the best.

And all his summer signings have been very good. Ozil is one of the best midfielders in the world (as good as Silva) and still younger. Di Maria is an excellent winger for them. Khedira has been avarge.

Pedro Leon and Canales were not his signings. But Canales is still a talent but Leon is not getting game time.

Mou would take us forward..thats for sure. We could win the title next season if we appoint him in the summer (but he will stay in madrid).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.