Mancini fear of failure?

Damocles said:
You are picking and choosing performances, and I'd advise you to go back and watch some Hughes/City football . When we were great, we were world beaters, but when we were, bad we were utterly terrible.

No different to now then is it mate really?

Yesterday and more to the point, the last couple of months have seen a dramatic decline in performances with yesterdays being just about the worst.

Same thing happened under Hughes and we all know how that one panned out.....

We are improving. We have been unlucky with injuries to our key players.
The squad is getting stronger. Its a new team. It needs tinkering with. Players need to be replaced. SWP for example.
People bang on about Bellamy. I agree. I myself thought he was great for city. However, he was injury prone and realistically only came to city to play for Hughes. Meaning in reality, he didn't have city's best interests at heart.
It seems to me that the fans are panicking.
Remember the day when we played stoke at Maine Road in the lower leagues. We were shit, but we as fans changed our season that day. We manned up and got behind the team.
We need to do that now.

I think everyone on the forum knows my views on Mancini, which have been consistent since a few months into his reign.

Of course we shouldn't sack him now as we are smack in the middle of a crucial run-in. We have to wait until the summer when the big names are available.

All that matters now in reality is that we qualify for the champions league, by hook or by crook. Whilst us fans are desperate for a trophy and we have a good chance to get to a final, the truth is that for the long-term aims of Manchester City, the champions lague is crucial and nothing else. I'm not saying we throw the trophies or anything like that, but we have to prioritise the league. The two replays have cost us and I fear for the Villa and/or Everton games too.

I can't bear to think of the damage failure this season will do to our momentum. Last season was a disappointment. This season will be a disaster. Our bigger name players will want out, although I suppose our huge wages might help on that score. We'll lose more confidence as a club and find it impossible to attract the big names we need. We'll also have the albotross round our neck of being the mega-rich failures.

By hook or by crook Mancini needs to hold it together somehow and get some results and some confidence back in he camp. I'm puzzled as to why he's suddenly experimenting with formations - he's played 3 in 3 games. I'd love to see us start with the attacking 4 from the Aris game against Villa. Go for broke - the last thing we need is another replay. Get those four on there and tear them to peices. For 25 minutes we looked like world-beaters with those four linking up. It could be the lift we need. If it works, stick with it. 4-2-3-1 with Ya Ya left out of the side.

Go out with a bang, not a whimper.

If we do suddenly start playing again and bag 4th or even 3rd, he's got to go in the summer anyway in my opinion. He's not up to it and has never been up to it. We put it down to experience and get the right fucking man in charge of this club for once. Noone will stop us then.

blueinsa said:
Damocles said:
You are picking and choosing performances, and I'd advise you to go back and watch some Hughes/City football . When we were great, we were world beaters, but when we were, bad we were utterly terrible.

Yesterday and more to the point, the last couple of months have seen a dramatic decline in performances with yesterdays being just about the worst.

I understand that we're in bad form, but I don't think that we need to sack our manager because of it. For those talking about Mancini talking about tiredness and that, please take a look at this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://equaliserfootball.com/2011/02/28/grapes-of-wrath/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://equaliserfootball.com/2011/02/28 ... -of-wrath/</a>

The above is JOSE MOURINHO blaming tiredness for his 0-0 draw at the Riazor the other day. To be honest, they drew because they were shit and their football was shit.

Didsbury Dave said:
I think everyone on the forum knows my views on Mancini, which have been consistent since a few months into his reign.

Of course we shouldn't sack him now as we are smack in the middle of a crucial run-in. We have to wait until the summer when the big names are available.

All that matters now in reality is that we qualify for the champions league, by hook or by crook. Whilst us fans are desperate for a trophy and we have a good chance to get to a final, the truth is that for the long-term aims of Manchester City, the champions lague is crucial and nothing else. I'm not saying we throw the trophies or anything like that, but we have to prioritise the league. The two replays have cost us and I fear for the Villa and/or Everton games too.

I can't bear to think of the damage failure this season will do to our momentum. Last season was a disappointment. This season will be a disaster. Our bigger name players will want out, although I suppose our huge wages might help on that score. We'll lose more confidence as a club and find it impossible to attract the big names we need. We'll also have the albotross round our neck of being the mega-rich failures.

By hook or by crook Mancini needs to hold it together somehow and get some results and some confidence back in he camp. I'm puzzled as to why he's suddenly experimenting with formations - he's played 3 in 3 games. I'd love to see us start with the attacking 4 from the Aris game against Villa. Go for broke - the last thing we need is another replay. Get those four on there and tear them to peices. For 25 minutes we looked like world-beaters with those four linking up. It could be the lift we need. If it works, stick with it. 4-2-3-1 with Ya Ya left out of the side.

Go out with a bang, not a whimper.

If we do suddenly start playing again and bag 4th or even 3rd, he's got to go in the summer anyway in my opinion. He's not up to it and has never been up to it. We put it down to experience and get the right fucking man in charge of this club for once. Noone will stop us then.

Which 'big names' do you mean Dave?

Also, I cant agree for a second that we are improving. We're going backwards, that's the truth.

We started the season fairly mediocre, we improved in the autumn and since then we've gone right back.

Also, if we're "going in the right direction", why are we chopping and changing formation every week? He's making it up as he goes along and his uncertainty appears to be being superceded by frustration and stress. I'd say the dressing room will be reading that loud and clear. That's my biggest concern. We're playing poorly just when it matter most.

Damocles said:
Our defence is better, our team is less erratic and more organised under Mancini than under Hughes.

Yet we've been leaking goals for nearly two months. Pull the other one!

Again, what were we if not utterly terrible yesterday. What about against Brum recently? Utterly terrible and terrible defending.

How are the results in big games worse? Off of the top of my head, we have more points this year from them don't we?

I said "the same as last season". They pretty much are.

Points total is irrelevant as the league is completely different this year; placement is what matters

Although I agree with that to some extent. The league is more competitive than last season and so it would be on the face of it harder to accumulate a similar amount of points. What that however completely ignores, is the influx of top class players last summer to give us an edge on our rivals.

I'll leave the stuff about squad harmony, job security etc. because those things will inevitably come out in the wash...

Damocles said:
blueinsa said:

I understand that we're in bad form, but I don't think that we need to sack our manager because of it. For those talking about Mancini talking about tiredness and that, please take a look at this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://equaliserfootball.com/2011/02/28/grapes-of-wrath/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://equaliserfootball.com/2011/02/28 ... -of-wrath/</a>

The above is JOSE MOURINHO blaming tiredness for his 0-0 draw at the Riazor the other day. To be honest, they drew because they were shit and their football was shit.

He is being criticised because as the manager, he has let many players go out on loan, players he could have used now to give others the rest he demands and they would have covered for injuries. Couple that to the wasted transfer window again when the real squad issues were not addressed, again, a job for Bobby and the facts will be used to counter the excuses.

We are Manchester City, a premier league team with aspirations to win everything out there. We have a huge squad designed to cope and as a manager, he has been given the money to get his players in along with an already quality squad.

Keith Hill at Rochdale can moan, maybe even Martinez at Wigan but Bobby at a club like ours just can not im afraid, especially in public and especially when some of the problem is down to him.

I remember last season when Mancini took over, and for the 5 months I was totally optimistic about our chances of progressing with him at the helm.

Even though, in the end, he failed to achieve top 4, I still believed that with £100m to use in the summer window he would carry us from strength to strength.

There were games in the second haalf of last season where I literally purred at the way we played. Away at Burnley springs to mind, where we had AJ and Bellamy on the wings, Adebayor up top, with Tevez as the free man... and I thought this was the future!

We murdered the Clarets on the flanks that day, scored 6 could have scored 10. And there were other games when I also felt that we had the basis to make great strides this season.

However, £100m later I honestly think we look worse than we did then.

We've lost the width, we've fucked Tevez about all season when it is clear to all but an idiot that his best role is one where he doesn't have to play as a pair. In spite of this he's still won us half our points this season, and God knows where we would be without them.

Our midfield, for all the star names, fails too many times to compete with even the minnows of this league. It's horses for courses... you have to buy players to beat what's in front of you... and I don't think Mancini has achieved this sufficiently well in the Premiership.

It's a good thing that our competitors have been as inconsistent as us.

Too many inappropriate signings this season, too much weakening of the squad... it has all conspired against us to the position now where 4 injured players is now a crisis!

DD has played the long game, and I think he may have called it right...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.