Mancini told CL form unacceptable in 1st meeting with Txiki

That comes as a surprise to me, because I thought Txiki would have congratulated us on on performances thus far.

bapi said:
Mancini told Champions League form unacceptable in first meeting with Begiristain
The Italian met Manchester City's new director of football on Wednesday and was told by the former Barcelona supremo that the club's European performance were not good enough

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Roberto Mancini met with new Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain for the first time this week - and was told the club’s performances in the Champions League must improve.

The pair met in person on Wednesday having previously only spoken in phone conversations and will now hold weekly meetings at City’s training ground to evaluate the club’s progress.

In the wake of City’s 2-2 draw with Ajax on Tuesday night, Begiristain told the Italian of his disappointment with the team’s European displays as they sit bottom of Group D with two points and only two matches remaining.

Mancini’s minimum target was to reach the knockout stages of the Champions League, a task that looks effectively “finished” - in the 47-year-old’s words - after being drawn in a tough group alongside Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Ajax.

Mancini has won four league titles in his managerial career as well as domestic cups but has never made it past the quarter-finals in the Champions League, a competition of great importance on and off the pitch to City’s Abu Dhabi owners as they target global domination.

While there is no suggestion that Mancini is under pressure only months after signing a five-year contract, his meeting Begiristain confirms suggestions that the manager’s power base has been weakened by structural changes at the Etihad Stadium.

Begiristain was appointed last month as he re-united with City chief executive Ferran Soriano, who started his role in August. The pair worked together at Barcelona where, with manager Pep Guardiola, they oversaw the most successful period in the club’s history.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exc...ns-league-form-unacceptable-in-first-meeting-
Greg Stobart? Greg, if you are reading this, stop making shit up and get fucked. Sideways.

MCC said:
bapi said:
Mancini told Champions League form unacceptable in first meeting with Begiristain
The Italian met Manchester City's new director of football on Wednesday and was told by the former Barcelona supremo that the club's European performance were not good enough

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Roberto Mancini met with new Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain for the first time this week - and was told the club’s performances in the Champions League must improve.

The pair met in person on Wednesday having previously only spoken in phone conversations and will now hold weekly meetings at City’s training ground to evaluate the club’s progress.

In the wake of City’s 2-2 draw with Ajax on Tuesday night, Begiristain told the Italian of his disappointment with the team’s European displays as they sit bottom of Group D with two points and only two matches remaining.

Mancini’s minimum target was to reach the knockout stages of the Champions League, a task that looks effectively “finished” - in the 47-year-old’s words - after being drawn in a tough group alongside Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Ajax.

Mancini has won four league titles in his managerial career as well as domestic cups but has never made it past the quarter-finals in the Champions League, a competition of great importance on and off the pitch to City’s Abu Dhabi owners as they target global domination.

While there is no suggestion that Mancini is under pressure only months after signing a five-year contract, his meeting Begiristain confirms suggestions that the manager’s power base has been weakened by structural changes at the Etihad Stadium.

Begiristain was appointed last month as he re-united with City chief executive Ferran Soriano, who started his role in August. The pair worked together at Barcelona where, with manager Pep Guardiola, they oversaw the most successful period in the club’s history.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exc...ns-league-form-unacceptable-in-first-meeting-
Greg Stobart? Greg, if you are reading this, stop making shit up and get fucked. Sideways.

ghost written by Slur Alex

Prestwich_Blue said:
Mancio said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Perhaps someone told him?

Could be:
- Marwood having a dig.
- Soriano & Begiristain flexing their muscles.
- Guardiola (via S & B) putting the squeeze on.
- Khaldoon or the Sheikh sending a public message.
- the club starting to prepare the ground for Mancini's departure.

Goal.com have been right before and particularly on the Barca connection iirc so theyve clearly got good sources & my assumption would be they've got it from there again. So one of the first three in my view.

just out of curiosity PB , do you have any idea what is the role of a "football director" in a European club and what functions he should play?
I don't think there's a single model for a DoF across all clubs Mancio but, in my view, it's this. A football club is a business like any other except that instead of producing widgets to sell, they play football. So like any company, there will be a board of executives who have responsibility to the Chief Executive for core aspects of that company's operations.

So the widget company will have a production director who is in overall charge of manufacturing operations and has various managers reporting to him. The football club will have a Director of Football, who will also have various departmental managers reporting to him. First team, reserve team, youth team, academy manager, scouting, etc.

The DoF's job is to ensure that they're all pulling in the same direction to achieve the strategic outcome that the board have set. This will include:

- Setting a vision for the football side of the club
- Selecting the best young players for the academy,
- Training them in "our" style,
- Managing their progression,
- Scouting suitable, experienced players for the first team squad,
- Maximising our football income by achieving success
- Ensuring contracts are sorted out.
- Managing and controlling the costs of the operation under his control.

Etc.

Not all clubs will necessarily work like that though. The extreme example was Avram Grant at Chelsea, who was little more than Abramovich's eyes and ears on the training field and in the dressing room. Some are simply there to provide advice and support to the CEO or manager. But to me, the point of a DoF is to provide continuity across all areas of the football operation.

I'd expect a top-notch DoF to be able to question the manager and to understand why he did certain things, even if they didn't work. Of course, he'd also say "That's crap and you should know that" to the first team coach. I don't see that Marwood could ever have said that to Mancini. He was merely an administrator, doing some of the tasks that Mancini didn't need to get involved in, leaving him freer to concentrate on coaching. There was no way Mancini reported to Marwood but I'd expect him to report to Begiristain.

i think you are expecting something almost unreal , a DoF more or less is an operative arm. not one to who the manager have to report to , but one who have to simplify and help the manager work.

he have collaborate with the manager , he talk with the manager on almost daily basis , he ask what the manager (or maybe could be better call it "the coach" as we do in europe where DoF are the normality) need , what the coach think may go wrong particularly with players and their agents and he have to operate to smooth edges.

his most important duties are the ones inerent the first team market , the DoF receive the coaches request , contact the targetted players agents and in a second time their clubs , he lead the scouts work and then report to the coach wich out of the targetted players could be available and interested to join the club.

obviously the DoF should be competent enough for talk about football tecnichs and formations but you cant seriously believe that even the shittest coach of this world would let the DoF to dictate him something regard team and formation choice. anyway the DoF have to be an element of continuity inside the club coz if a cloach leave or is sacked the DoF is the one who have to facilitate the new coach bedding in.

it may seem strange to you , but if you think a bit about it you i'm sure you can easily understand that at the end of the day the most important figure still is the coach one , and the disparity in the wages level between top coaches and DoFs is a good evidence of this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.