Mancini's poor CL pedigree - Cause for concern?

Even if we never win the Champions League under Mancini (which is highly likely given the prowess of Barcelona and Real Madrid), that would never be justification for sacking him so long as we win domestic trophies.

BillyShears said:
I see European success as relative. I don't think we'll ever be able to go into a season thinking "we must win the CL this season" - as you need a fair bit of luck to win it. However I think it's important that we're seen to be progressing. That's probably where the criticism of Mancini's record at Inter comes from - when you look at how the team faired, they never really looked like being much better than the previous season.

Agreed, it's imperative we reach the knockouts next year but then like you said it's about the luck of the draw. Mancini is older, wiser and has a potential squad to go way further than he has before. He'll take it this time but it will still take at least 3 years to win it imo.

jay_mcfc said:
BillyShears said:
I see European success as relative. I don't think we'll ever be able to go into a season thinking "we must win the CL this season" - as you need a fair bit of luck to win it. However I think it's important that we're seen to be progressing. That's probably where the criticism of Mancini's record at Inter comes from - when you look at how the team faired, they never really looked like being much better than the previous season.

Agreed, it's imperative we reach the knockouts next year but then like you said it's about the luck of the draw. Mancini is older, wiser and has a potential squad to go way further than he has before. He'll take it this time but it will still take at least 3 years to win it imo.

To be honest - when you look at how many years Chelsea have been trying to win it for - to put any timescale on it is being very optimistic. So many factors involved - but if we win it in the next 3 years I'll be fucking delighted!

Why do people keep saying we got a point away at Napoli? We were beat 2-1 if I recall - or maybe I'm being ignorant to something, sorry if so.

BillyShears said:
To be honest - when you look at how many years Chelsea have been trying to win it for - to put any timescale on it is being very optimistic. So many factors involved - but if we win it in the next 3 years I'll be fucking delighted!

Chelsea are exactly my point too. Even United, who have dominated English football for 20 years have only won it twice in that period. It's a tough old competition but as long as we continue to improve and show progression in Europe we'll all be happy.

GStar said:
Blue Dan said:
Jack74 said:
Why post that ?

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/
Noun:

1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
2. An Internet message board.

Not really what he meant though.

In answer to your question, i don't think it will cost him his job. Who's ever managed at a team like City before; a few managers at Real in the late 90's? Does that mean no one else but those have the ability/experience to be successful with us?

Well what did he mean then?

Contrary to popular belief, I did not write the article in my OP nor do I necessarily agree with it. I posted it because I thought it would inspire discussion and debate. At the time of writing, the thread is seven pages deep, so I think I've been vindicated.

This team is still in its infancy, nor in my opinion is it yet complete, so if a few fools want to take comfort from our exit or read into it that thats the end of progress and we aint good enough full stop then let them.

We have a manager who is putting together a team that will get a hell of a lot better, and its no quick throw of the dice with just buying for the here and now, but a lot of young players signed who can grow together over the next few years.

If you can find concern in what Roberto has done to date, then your a f*cking hard taskmaster, for me its a leaning experiance to get to a point where we can fancy our chances against the likes of Barsa, for him as well as the team, but it aint that far away...........;0)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.