Mancini's poor CL pedigree - Cause for concern?

lionheart said:
Even if we never win the Champions League under Mancini (which is highly likely given the prowess of Barcelona and Real Madrid), that would never be justification for sacking him so long as we win domestic trophies.

Completely agree. The CL is a crapshoot. Chelsea found out that hiring new managers and buying players does not equal success.

Barcelona and Real are out of our league no matter how much money we spend. Even the best managers are lucky to win it more than once over their entire careers. Domestic success is plenty for me.

I think lasting until December in our first Champions league outing was commendable to be honest.

mancini has slowly learnt how to play in the english premier league, im sure given time he will do the same in the CL.

CFC supporter here.

I find the inexperience argument baffling. If you look at City squad it's full of seasoned pros, all with years of playing at the top level. Silva, Aguero, Toure brothers, Barry, Nasri etc aren't youngsters, just because they haven't played in the CL for your club doesn't mean they lack experience at this level, they don't. Mancini has been around long enough, too and managed Inter in the CL for years.

Chelsea reached the CL semis first season after Abramovich's arrival and continued to do relatively well for years afterwards. Your owner's investment is more recent and the team is in its prime. Bowing out of CL at the group stage for the club with your depth and quality is simply not good enough, imo.

As for group of death, Villareal were shocking and Napoli is a very good team but not on your level and has no CL experience, either. Finishing second would have been acceptable since Bayern are a top club and were favorites due to their pedigree, but missing out on qualification altogether is a failure, given your resources and Mancini knows it,too.

bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

I find the inexperience argument baffling. If you look at City squad it's full of seasoned pros, all with years of playing at the top level. Silva, Aguero, Toure brothers, Barry, Nasri etc aren't youngsters, just because they haven't played in the CL for your club doesn't mean they lack experience at this level, they don't. Mancini has been around long enough, too and managed Inter in the CL for years.

Chelsea reached the CL semis first season after Abramovich's arrival and continued to do relatively well for years afterwards. Your owner's investment is more recent and the team is in its prime. Bowing out of CL at the group stage for the club with your depth and quality is simply not good enough, imo.

As for group of death, Villareal were shocking and Napoli is a very good team but not on your level and has no CL experience, either. Finishing second would have been acceptable since Bayern are a top club and were favorites due to their pedigree, but missing out on qualification altogether is a failure, given your resources and Mancini knows it,too.

CFC fan ? as an inter fan i've never been so happy as when we fucked you 2 years ago. and i was happy also becouse i knew you deserved at least a couple of penalty.

bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

You're right, CFC supporter. This is simply not good enough, we should get a new manager.

How has that worked out for you? Surely you have a CL medal to go along with an opinion that this 'isn't good enough', right? Surely if you can determine what isn't good enough, you know from experience what is.

People go on about his time at Inter Milan and how he failed in europe. He never had a side capable of winning the thing. There is a big difference there.

What he did do was build a side that was eventually going to win the thing, all it needed was a few bits of quality here and there i.e Sneijder and Eto'o.

bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

I totally agree with everything you've posted. But the priority for mcfc is to win the league this year. As long as that's achieved then Abu dhabi will be happy for Mancini to have another crack at the cl, and we fans are not devastated as you can tell. If we blow the league without the cl distraction, that will represent failure. I certainly don't buy the argument that the cl is not on city's radar, as some above have said. Mancini is going to have to get close in the
Next few years if he is still manager. Which is what cfc have done, but no
Cigar. Good to get an objective post. Thanks mate.

WNRH said:
People go on about his time at Inter Milan and how he failed in europe. He never had a side capable of winning the thing. There is a big difference there.

What he did do was build a side that was eventually going to win the thing, all it needed was a few bits of quality here and there i.e Sneijder and Eto'o.

and Quaresma
and Mansini
and Muntari
and Lucio
and Milito
and Motta
and Pandev

that do 9 players.

a local football legend(to me) always used a famous quote(as it became known) "it s takes 5 years to build a team"...

i wasn t sure on bobby but he s never been given time in the CL. give them time, the league is what maters. lets get that job done!!
everyone at the club needs time-end of season is just fine.

next year we can all expect to be more critical, until then no concern!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.