Mancini's poor CL pedigree - Cause for concern?

Didsbury Dave said:
bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

I find the inexperience argument baffling. If you look at City squad it's full of seasoned pros, all with years of playing at the top level. Silva, Aguero, Toure brothers, Barry, Nasri etc aren't youngsters, just because they haven't played in the CL for your club doesn't mean they lack experience at this level, they don't. Mancini has been around long enough, too and managed Inter in the CL for years.

Chelsea reached the CL semis first season after Abramovich's arrival and continued to do relatively well for years afterwards. Your owner's investment is more recent and the team is in its prime. Bowing out of CL at the group stage for the club with your depth and quality is simply not good enough, imo.

As for group of death, Villareal were shocking and Napoli is a very good team but not on your level and has no CL experience, either. Finishing second would have been acceptable since Bayern are a top club and were favorites due to their pedigree, but missing out on qualification altogether is a failure, given your resources and Mancini knows it,too.
I totally agree with everything you've posted. But the priority for mcfc is to win the league this year. As long as that's achieved then Abu dhabi will be happy for Mancini to have another crack at the cl, and we fans are not devastated as you can tell. If we blow the league without the cl distraction, that will represent failure. I certainly don't buy the argument that the cl is not on city's radar, as some above have said. Mancini is going to have to get close in the
Next few years if he is still manager. Which is what cfc have done, but no
Cigar. Good to get an objective post. Thanks mate.
I don't agree as it doesn't matter whether you advance from the group stage all the way to the final. Unless you win it all, it's a failure. There's only one champion of the competition.

Blue Haze said:
bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

I find the inexperience argument baffling. If you look at City squad it's full of seasoned pros, all with years of playing at the top level. Silva, Aguero, Toure brothers, Barry, Nasri etc aren't youngsters, just because they haven't played in the CL for your club doesn't mean they lack experience at this level, they don't. Mancini has been around long enough, too and managed Inter in the CL for years.

Chelsea reached the CL semis first season after Abramovich's arrival and continued to do relatively well for years afterwards. Your owner's investment is more recent and the team is in its prime. Bowing out of CL at the group stage for the club with your depth and quality is simply not good enough, imo.

As for group of death, Villareal were shocking and Napoli is a very good team but not on your level and has no CL experience, either. Finishing second would have been acceptable since Bayern are a top club and were favorites due to their pedigree, but missing out on qualification altogether is a failure, given your resources and Mancini knows it,too.
You're right, CFC supporter. This is simply not good enough, we should get a new manager.

How has that worked out for you? Surely you have a CL medal to go along with an opinion that this 'isn't good enough', right? Surely if you can determine what isn't good enough, you know from experience what is.

I didn't say anything about getting a new manager. There's no need to get defensive, I'm not here to wind anyone up, just to give an opinion.

What's most surprising to me is how our fans mostly seem to think we were unlucky and aren't bothered by it.

Yet it's rival supporters who act most disappointed. They seem to actually be bothered that we're not upset, so now they come onto the forum to tell us how we should feel. We should be 'disappointed', there are 'no excuses', etc.

It just comes off as petty and jealous. If you're disappointed by our CL exit, then say it, but don't act like we must be broken up about it.

bobrivers said:
Blue Haze said:
bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

You're right, CFC supporter. This is simply not good enough, we should get a new manager.

How has that worked out for you? Surely you have a CL medal to go along with an opinion that this 'isn't good enough', right? Surely if you can determine what isn't good enough, you know from experience what is.

I didn't say anything about getting a new manager. There's no need to get defensive, I'm not here to wind anyone up, just to give an opinion.

fucking hell, you got through a far easier group at the last game and suddenly you are in here lecturing us about how badly we did in our CL group - if we are bad, then how bad are you 10 points behind us?

bobrivers said:
Blue Haze said:
bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

Oh bullshit. Our level of investment has seen us near perfect in the league. We're doing better than most of us dreamed in our wildest imaginations. Phrases like 'not good enough' are Chelsea euphemisms for sacking the manager.

Now you can go back to CFC.net knowing that we're not as disappointed as you are. Bye.

Have a great time in the 'who wants to get raped by Real/Barca' Cup.

Blue Haze said:
bobrivers said:
Blue Haze said:

Oh bullshit. Our level of investment has seen us near perfect in the league. We're doing better than most of us dreamed in our wildest imaginations.

Now you can go back to CFC.net knowing that we're not as disappointed as you are. Bye.

good teams do not lose at home to arsenal and away to qpr and god knows who else; plus they struggled at home to norwich, west broam and others - a poor side who have been spending for a lot longer than we have, we just needed to do it quickly due to twatini - they are all getting worried, scum, spuds, arsenal, scouse, chelsea fans all come in here these days

taconinja said:
Didsbury Dave said:
bobrivers said:
CFC supporter here.

I totally agree with everything you've posted. But the priority for mcfc is to win the league this year. As long as that's achieved then Abu dhabi will be happy for Mancini to have another crack at the cl, and we fans are not devastated as you can tell. If we blow the league without the cl distraction, that will represent failure. I certainly don't buy the argument that the cl is not on city's radar, as some above have said. Mancini is going to have to get close in the
I don't agree as it doesn't matter whether you advance from the group stage all the way to the final. Unless you win it all, it's a failure. There's only one champion of the competition.

There are financial consequences related to the club not advancing past the CL group stage.

I realize that financial problems isn't high on your agenda due to the owner's wealth but at some point Mansour would probably want to see some regular CL income coming in, especially with UEFA introducing the FFP rules pretty soon.

Prestige is also important. Yes, you have to aim to win avery competition you're in but we're talking the elite of European football. There's no shame in being knocked out by one of the big clubs at some point, but the group stage should be a given if you want to be taken seriously.

bobrivers said:
Prestige is also important. Yes, you have to aim to win avery competition you're in but we're talking the elite of European football. There's no shame in being knocked out by one of the big clubs at some point, but the group stage should be a given if you want to be taken seriously.

Taken seriously by whom?

Again you're speaking for yourself. If you don't take us seriously after what we've done in the league, then that's cool. Just come out and say it.

Don't care what some AC Milan supporter in China thinks about MCFC. I'll take trophies over perceptions any day.

bobrivers said:
taconinja said:
Didsbury Dave said:

There are financial consequences related to the club not advancing past the CL group stage.

I realize that financial problems isn't high on your agenda due to the owner's wealth but at some point Mansour would probably want to see some regular CL income coming in, especially with UEFA introducing the FFP rules pretty soon.

beat genk and fucking qpr, and maybe arsenal and liverpool at home before you come in here you sanctimonious chelsea fucking prick, fuck off back to where you came from you shagfucker

bobrivers said:
taconinja said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I agree with everything you say in this thread, but you have to understand that everyone at City is fully focused on the PL this season. Of course I'm disappointed that we're out of the CL, but I have to say that our chances of winning the League have been enhanced by the fact that we're no longer in it. If we do win the League this season (fingers crossed) I'd expect us to strengthen still further and have a better crack at the CL next season. So, disappointing but not disastrous imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.