Mancunian Dialect

Ducado said:
Correct me if I am wrong here but I always thought it was an accent rather than a dialect and in fact we gave very few real dialects in the UK

An accent only affects the way sounds are produced.

Dialects however, can be described as "mutually intelligible varieties that differ grammatically". Dialects are full of variables, different ways in which words can be pronounced compared to other dialects.

So, Manchester could be regarded as a dialect due to the fact that we pronounce words such as "butter", "bitter" and "bottle differently than other dialects. Or because we use words such as "barm"/"muffin", and different dialects have their own words for it.

everythingchangesbutblue said:
Does anyone know the word "Raungin"(spelling) as in constantly moving about and being fidgity.my mum used to say this to me and my sis when we were kids,but whenever ive said it most people including mancs have never heard of it.

Stop raungin or rorn-jing about. Deffo still used in our house!

bennyblue said:
bobmcfc said:
Cob it = to "cob" something is to throw something away/put it in the bin/dispose of in a waste receptical

Are you quite sure thats manc talk ? Cob it ? not questioning your mancness just your manc terminology, cob it ? never heard of that one before

Mum was from Salford and that's where she picked it up in the 50s. You are all welcome to use it

Sorted - used in different ways to show somethings done or good or ok or whatever

The Dibble - as in officer Dibble from top cat

Snap - lunch/butties for work. "have you got your snap?"

"got a right cob on" - not happy, the mard-arse

"Pan of ash" - potato hash, a delicacy not to be confused with corned beef hash or a pan of scouse

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.