Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
franksinatra said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
chris85mcfc said:
£130 million net spend since Mancini has left tho mate

And still 8 of the players in our best 11 were part of the core that Mancini left

Hart, Zabba, Vinny, Clichy, Yaya, Silva, Nasri, Sergio, and you could even argue Dzeko

I must have missed Mark Hughes signing Zab and Komps, then?

Mancini left nothing but a dressing-room fallen apart at the seams, players who had continually been told they were shit and needing punching in the face or were liars.

Seems to me, you want it both ways and refuse to give Pellegrini the credit for an incredible achievement, in his first season, where we became the most prolific team in British football history.

The only way is down, unless you expect a £48m cap on spending to be the difference in winning the title again, the League Cup, the FA Cup and Champions League this term.

You've already rightly identified and admitted what the solution is, and Pellegrini knows it too. The signing of Bony will allow him to go 4-4-2 as and when he needs to.

If you and others are using the stick that this isn't Pellegrini's team, then surely he should be afforded the same luxury as Mancini and Hughes, who combined, were allowed to spend over £500m.

The financial landscape has changed beyond recognition since we first started spending.

How much do we think Silva and Aguero would cost now?

Try £120m and upwards.

That is the context people have to work with when they start throwing names about who we should have signed.

I am not sure the market has not changed significantly from the market Mancini operated in, and transfer inflation, if anything, has stagnated due to the demands of complying with FFP.

But you are correct Silva and Aguero would be worth a small fortune and it is credit to the club that we purchased them when we did and they have developed to be worth those types of figures. Similarly you can add Yaya to that list who, in the context of the player he has become, was a snip at 24 million but many thought was over priced at the time.

The fact is the signings have been poor over the past three years. Fernandinho and Mangala at 32 million each (if not 42 million) were over priced and with Fernandinho's age will have very little sell on value.

The hard facts are the key players of the City side are still Mancini and to a lesser extent Hughes signings.

The key defensive signings weren't although Mancini did bring in the two left backs.

franksinatra said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
chris85mcfc said:

And still 8 of the players in our best 11 were part of the core that Mancini left

Hart, Zabba, Vinny, Clichy, Yaya, Silva, Nasri, Sergio, and you could even argue Dzeko

Mancini left nothing but a dressing-room fallen apart at the seams, players who had continually been told they were shit and needing punching in the face or were liars.

Seems to me, you want it both ways and refuse to give Pellegrini the credit for an incredible achievement, in his first season, where we became the most prolific team in British football history.

The only way is down, unless you expect a £48m cap on spending to be the difference in winning the title again, the League Cup, the FA Cup and Champions League this term.

You've already rightly identified and admitted what the solution is, and Pellegrini knows it too. The signing of Bony will allow him to go 4-4-2 as and when he needs to.

If you and others are using the stick that this isn't Pellegrini's team, then surely he should be afforded the same luxury as Mancini and Hughes, who combined, were allowed to spend over £500m.

The financial landscape has changed beyond recognition since we first started spending.

Try £120m and upwards.

That is the context people have to work with when they start throwing names about who we should have signed.

I am not sure the market has not changed significantly from the market Mancini operated in, and transfer inflation, if anything, has stagnated due to the demands of complying with FFP.

But you are correct Silva and Aguero would be worth a small fortune and it is credit to the club that we purchased them when we did and they have developed to be worth those types of figures. Similarly you can add Yaya to that list who, in the context of the player he has become, was a snip at 24 million but many thought was over priced at the time.

The fact is the signings have been poor over the past three years. Fernandinho and Mangala at 32 million each (if not 42 million) were over priced and with Fernandinho's age will have very little sell on value.

The hard facts are the key players of the City side are still Mancini and to a lesser extent Hughes signings.

£28m on Fellaini and Ander Hererra, £57m on Di Maria, would suggest the transfer landscape has changed beyond all recognition (as have wages) since we could buy what and when we wanted.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
chris85mcfc said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
But this is Mancini's team, right? ;)

What an incredible benchmark last season really was.

Ferguson clearly lost the plot after his bastards did the Treble back in 1999.

Try £120m and upwards.

Manual gets plenty wrong, and some of his subs absolutely stink of naivety or panic.

Plenty felt Mancini could be admonished of blame because his hands had been tied in the market, off the back of a title win.

Pellegrini, seemingly, not.

Couldn't of said it any better, great post.

Ray78 said:
franksinatra said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Try £120m and upwards.

The key defensive signings weren't although Mancini did bring in the two left backs.

Well in fairness Mancini took over a number of defenders who regularly conceded and formulated them into an excellent collective unit. Zabba improved beyond recognition as did Micah Richards. Furthermore Kompany does not look anywhere near the player he was in 2012 and when Mancini took over was spending his time on the bench as a defensive midfielder. No need to buy new players if your coaching can achieve this. I would also say Clichy was an absolute steal at 6 million

Anyway I do think the signings under Mancini were much better than of recent years but I am also happy to say Pellegrini has brought stability and unity to the club. They both deserve credit and will never understand why some cannot see the benefits of both stewardships whether it be the man-management of Pellegrini or the tactical nous and key transfers under Mancini.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
chris85mcfc said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
But this is Mancini's team, right? ;)

What an incredible benchmark last season really was.

Ferguson clearly lost the plot after his bastards did the Treble back in 1999.

I didn't say Mancini did sign them, i said they were the core players from the Mancini era, and they still are.

If the inflation has changed on buying players, then it has also changed on selling players, so that kind of evens itself out. Also the fact that during that £500 million spend, we were seen as a cash cow, and every club from the likes of Villa to Real Madrid were happy to milk everything they could out of us.

And also that £500 million spend got us a team that has arguably been the best in England for 3-4 years, and has got us to where we are today, and has also won us 2 league titles an FA cup and a league cup, so id say it was money well spent, but i don't think the £130 million spent since Pellegrini has come in has been money well spent.

FWIW I'm not sure how much managers can be held accountable for signings at City

Bar the odd specific request (Demichelis, Balotelli) targets were identified by a panel under Mancini and now by Txiki under Pellegrini

Also there are plenty of players who’ve moved this summer for fee’s we could have afforded (Fabregas, Costa, Sanchez) it may be wages that are holding us back.

But I don’t see why Chelsea or Arsenal can lay out on them while we have aa much higher turnover

franksinatra said:
Ray78 said:
franksinatra said:

Well in fairness Mancini took over a number of defenders who regularly conceded and formulated them into an excellent collective unit. Zabba improved beyond recognition as did Micah Richards. Furthermore Kompany does not look anywhere near the player he was in 2012 and when Mancini took over was spending his time on the bench as a defensive midfielder. No need to buy new players if your coaching can achieve this. I would also say Clichy was an absolute steal at 6 million

Anyway I do think the signings under Mancini were much better than of recent years but I am also happy to say Pellegrini has brought stability and unity to the club. They both deserve credit and will never understand why some cannot see the benefits of both stewardships whether it be the man-management of Pellegrini or the tactical nous and key transfers under Mancini.

Agreed.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Try £120m and upwards.

Manual gets plenty wrong, and some of his subs absolutely stink of naivety or panic.

Plenty felt Mancini could be admonished of blame because his hands had been tied in the market, off the back of a title win.

Pellegrini, seemingly, not.

It seems to work both ways. The forum always fractures down the Mancini fault line. There was a leadership vacuum after our first title win which cost us and the FFP sanctions after our second. Personally I think it would do everyone the power of good if we acknowledged the strengths and weaknesses of both Bobby and Pellers and that both were handicapped after our respective title wins.

On a personal note I am sick to fucking death of the Mancini debate and fractured dressing rooms blah, blah if only because it has fuck all relevance to Pellers and what is happening right now. How about we discuss what Pellers says and how this relates to what is happening now. Two things Pellers has said 1) the players 'lack trust' and 2) the players 'were nervous'.

The first was said during our first performance slump and the second after Saturday. By nervous I assume he means we panicked and started to rush things rather than try and play our normal game and the first is that when we play our normal game there is a lack of confidence and belief (or trust) in ourselves leading to sub standard performances. It is noticeable our best run of form was during the striker shortage when we played a much tighter game out of necessity.

Unless Pellers can instill the necessary belief or trust into the players and squad as a whole than we will continue to stutter along with a mixture of good and bad performances. I hope he can because I think Chelsea are there for the taking. If he cannot then what is the point of Pellers? For what its worth I am betting he can.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
KippaxCitizen said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
The only way is down? We only achieved 86 points last season despite scoring all those goals. There is loads of room for improvement there. 86 points is the second lowest points total to win the Prem in the last 12 years and there were no particularly great sides in the Prem last season other than ourselves, we have one of the great Arsenal United or Chelsea sides that won the league in that time to compete against.

Plus we've now spent £78m this season as we got rid of some deadwood from the squad to push that £48m up.

The only way is down if you expect to match or better two trophies a season.

Who gives a flying fuck what the points total is? Arsenal went an entire season unbeaten, yet never matched Chelsea's record of 96 points. I'll take 80 points if that's what it takes.

United pretty much won seven or eight titles without a team of ANY note to challenge them, aside from Wenger or Mourinho, breaking the cycle a couple of times.

There seems to be an element that if we aren't winning, then what's the point of competing.

And this City team, despite everything, are more than competing.

Do I want to win, yup, I want to win everything, every fucking year.

Sadly, no matter how much I want things, winning the lottery and growing my hair back, has me shit outta luck.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PDxl27L-4[/video]
;)

What i meant by that is that we will have to improve on that points total this and in coming years as teams who've been in transition with managers, settle and improve (Chelsea/United). the quality at the top of this league is going to shoot up in the next three years as Chelsea/United start to seriously go for the league each year. and we can! we can improve on that 86 points and will have to improve all round to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.