Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mister Appointment said:
Lucky Toma said:
It's a shame that someone who writes a lot of sense - and writes it well - is also afflicted by happyclapperitis.

I'm all for looking at the positives but you've taken it to a whole other level - to the point of spin - where its hard to take any of your input seriously now.

I for one am not advocating a change of personnel but Pellegrini is hardly instilling confidence in me at present. As for the team it is patently struggling in many areas and the roots for this malaise can be traced back to the Community Shield.

There are issues. There are concerns. And Pellegrini is both part of - and the cause of - many of the concerns.

Give over.

Firstly that's pretty aggressive. I'm not asking you or anyone else to take me seriously, merely expressing my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with it, fair enough. There's plenty who do. I can live with that.

Pellegrini isn't currently instilling anyone with much confidence, but he hasn't become overnight the worst manager on earth so I'm pretty calm in giving him the time required to try and sort the on field issues. If it turns out he can't our season will get worse, and if he can it will improve.

So yes there are issues. Yes there are concerns. As manager Pellegrini must carry the can for everything and he will.

Happy clapper? I'll await your apology with baited breath. ;)

Haha okay I apologise for the happy clapper line. Perhaps a more accurate comparison (at least in regards to what I'm getting at) is you're becoming the Pidgeonho of the Pellegrini thread.

Pidge put across a decent counter-argument in the agenda thread until he became so entrenched in taking one side I began to take what he said with a pinch of salt. If someone said black he'd say white.
I feel that is increasngly becoming your position with our manager.

The vast majority do not believe he has become 'the worst manager on earth' overnight. They are however concerned with his stubburnness and strange decisions.

The vast majority also recall all too well the heights he took us too last season. And that does allow him some leeway.
After three months of underachievement that leeway however is over and fair analysis of the here and now - and the man preciding over the here and now - is justified.

Lucky Toma said:
Haha okay I apologise for the happy clapper line. Perhaps a more accurate comparison (at least in regards to what I'm getting at) is you're becoming the Pidgeonho of the Pellegrini thread.

Pidge put across a decent counter-argument in the agenda thread until he became so entrenched in taking one side I began to take what he said with a pinch of salt. If someone said black he'd say white.

Honestly that's even worse. I'm out of here then. I didn't think i'd done anything particularly weird by not freaking out over a bad run and by thinking the manager knows what he's doing and it's too early to judge in the season. If that's just wum'ing i'll leave it and you can discuss with those you think are more honest in what they post.

Lucky Toma said:
Mister Appointment said:
Lucky Toma said:
It's a shame that someone who writes a lot of sense - and writes it well - is also afflicted by happyclapperitis.

I'm all for looking at the positives but you've taken it to a whole other level - to the point of spin - where its hard to take any of your input seriously now.

I for one am not advocating a change of personnel but Pellegrini is hardly instilling confidence in me at present. As for the team it is patently struggling in many areas and the roots for this malaise can be traced back to the Community Shield.

There are issues. There are concerns. And Pellegrini is both part of - and the cause of - many of the concerns.

Give over.

Firstly that's pretty aggressive. I'm not asking you or anyone else to take me seriously, merely expressing my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with it, fair enough. There's plenty who do. I can live with that.

Pellegrini isn't currently instilling anyone with much confidence, but he hasn't become overnight the worst manager on earth so I'm pretty calm in giving him the time required to try and sort the on field issues. If it turns out he can't our season will get worse, and if he can it will improve.

So yes there are issues. Yes there are concerns. As manager Pellegrini must carry the can for everything and he will.

Happy clapper? I'll await your apology with baited breath. ;)

The vast majority do not believe he has become 'the worst manager on earth' overnight. They are however concerned with his stubburnness and strange decisions.

The vast majority also recall all too well the heights he took us too last season. And that does allow him some leeway.
After three months of underachievement that leeway however is over and fair analysis of the here and now - and the man preciding over the here and now - is justified.

Exactly; what has so fundamentally changed with him to stop him hitting those heights again? It's a benchmark he set so you can't blame us for being disappointed he isn't living up to that this season.

I think what a lot of people are worried about with MP is that it seems very unlikely he will change his approach.....he freely changes within a game as has been seen numerous times but this is what makes it even more frustrating/confusing. If he can see the problems that we are having within a game why does he often then revert back to the system that causes us the problem for the start of the next game?

He often doesn't change it until it has become blantantly obvious that isn't working and we have conceded or are on the back foot.

We are far too predictable and now one manager (fat sam) and one of the CSKA players have both pointed out what a lot of people on here have been saying about our midfield set up leaving our back four too exposed.

I understand MP has his attacking principles which is brilliant but he needs to temper this.

If he fails to rectify this then he will deserve the sack (not that I want him to be sacked as I always prefer managerial stability)...I just wish he would show signs but here are a little

We have the players to play various systems and if he is going to go with the 4 in midfield he cannt play yaya in there as one of the central two. However this would not be utilising one of our best players which is just stupidity

he needs to play a 5 man midfield but with various versions of this

he could go with

-----milner----- ferd--yaya---- ferna-------- silva

-------------------------kun-----------------------------

slight variations include putting jovetic in one of the wider positions or just behind kun

nasri could replace silva letting sliva play more centrally

navas on the wings for milner or the left habd side (interstingly MP doesn't seem to play with his wingers/wide players inverted unless its milner and that's usually for defensive reasons

this sort of set up would allowmuch more defensive stability but is also extremely attacking - one of nasri/jovetic/milner/navas alongside sliva yaya and kun is a formidable attacking team and wouldn't cause any drop in attacking potential BUT would add defensive stability

supercity88 said:
It's odd that certain people don't seem to want to give Pellegrini credit for one of the best seasons this club has ever had. So we didn't win the league at a canter. So we didn't have it sewn up in February. Does everyone remember where this club was in the summer of 2013? When we lost the FA Cup final, when Mancini was sacked? Do we remember that season and all the issues we had?

Remember it? I'm reliving it right now.

And much as we like to relive the ghost of seasons past and how finishing runners up mentally traumatised everyone at the club to the extent it was a bleeding miracle that we actually won the league last year, what with the best squad and with £100m spent on quality players added to it and...well you get the idea.

Truth is apart from FA Cup final week and the mickey mouse handling of affairs that played out during it, I was fairly relaxed about that 'Season of Hell' and to be honest I am fairly relaxed about this one even if it does turn into the 'Season of Hell Part II'. This maybe because I enjoy being Champs and spend the following season just enjoying that fact. I also think that having delivered a title winning season a manager gets a bit of free hit the following one. I even enjoyed the 12/13 season in parts as there was some good football and some good wins along with the crap bits as there will be this season.

I would like to see Pellers turn it round and deliver a second title if only to see every fucker in the media choke on their own bile. If we don't turn it round and don't win anything well it happens. Even Khaldoon said we wont win things every season. Not winning wont cost Pellers. Lack of progress or the perception that he will not be able to progress going forward will do for Pellers. And by progress it starts and ends with the CL. We know this because the one time Pellers has lost it at refs or looks like someone just shot his beloved dog is when it goes tits in the CL. In the PL it goes tits he just looks grumpy.

Pellers has more wriggle room than Mancini partly because Txiki employed Pellers but largely because Txiki is not involved in a dick measuring contest with Pellers as he was with Roberto. But bottom line for Pellers, or any manager, is the CL. Going backwards in the CL is simply not an option if you want to keep your job. We can chat about players and attitudes and who is to blame but it won't matter. The club has a lot of money invested in this squad and it should be doing better so you only have to do the maths to figure out who will carry the can. 'Eez football' and all that.

I don't mind not winning things in a season if we are giving it our all and the manager is looking at the problems and trying to address them even if it does not work.

But to just keep on going the same way and keep making the same mistakes is I believe the source of a lot of peoples frustration and if he fails because he doesn't change his approach then a sacking would be deserved. If he was to change and it still not work and we don't win anything then I would be saying give him at least another season

It's all about perception. Most won't say it, although Alan Pardew did.

Pellegrini's age and appearance is a convenient tool to beat him up with. The narrative establishes a correlation between a red-eyed man under pressure with a waffle of unkempt grey hair.

Some of the media then load those same prejudices that City are a tired and depressed outfit. Pellegrini doesn't have that bullishness in front of the cameras or energy to been seen that he is going into bat for his team.

I do think it is a recurring issue when results aren't going swimmingly.

As I say, it's all about perception and come Saturday night, it could be 'title over' or a gap of three points to the supposed juggernaut that is Chelsea, another team which because of their manager getting out in front of things, and having a big mouth, is able to deflect from the very poor form his team have been showing for a month.

By hook or by crook, regardless of performance, a win at QPR will prove a very big salve.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It's all about perception. Most won't say it, although Alan Pardew did.

Pellegrini's age and appearance is a convenient tool to beat him up with. The narrative establishes a correlation between a red-eyed man under pressure with a waffle of unkempt grey hair.

Some of the media then load those same prejudices that City are a tired and depressed outfit. Pellegrini doesn't have that bullishness in front of the cameras or energy to been seen that he is going into bat for his team.

I do think it is a recurring issue when results aren't going swimmingly.

As I say, it's all about perception and come Saturday night, it could be 'title over' or a gap of three points to the supposed juggernaut that is Chelsea, another team which because of their manager getting out in front of things, and having a big mouth, is able to deflect from the very poor form his team have been showing for a month.

By hook or by crook, regardless of performance, a win at QPR will prove a very big salve.

I personally couldn't give a damn what the media perceptions of him are as a person or even what supporters think of him as a person. For me I look at what is going on on the pitch and that is where he should be judged

BobKowalski said:
supercity88 said:
It's odd that certain people don't seem to want to give Pellegrini credit for one of the best seasons this club has ever had. So we didn't win the league at a canter. So we didn't have it sewn up in February. Does everyone remember where this club was in the summer of 2013? When we lost the FA Cup final, when Mancini was sacked? Do we remember that season and all the issues we had?

Remember it? I'm reliving it right now.

And much as we like to relive the ghost of seasons past and how finishing runners up mentally traumatised everyone at the club to the extent it was a bleeding miracle that we actually won the league last year, what with the best squad and with £100m spent on quality players added to it and...well you get the idea.

Truth is apart from FA Cup final week and the mickey mouse handling of affairs that played out during it, I was fairly relaxed about that 'Season of Hell' and to be honest I am fairly relaxed about this one even if it does turn into the 'Season of Hell Part II'. This maybe because I enjoy being Champs and spend the following season just enjoying that fact. I also think that having delivered a title winning season a manager gets a bit of free hit the following one. I even enjoyed the 12/13 season in parts as there was some good football and some good wins along with the crap bits as there will be this season.

I would like to see Pellers turn it round and deliver a second title if only to see every fucker in the media choke on their own bile. If we don't turn it round and don't win anything well it happens. Even Khaldoon said we wont win things every season. Not winning wont cost Pellers. Lack of progress or the perception that he will not be able to progress going forward will do for Pellers. And by progress it starts and ends with the CL. We know this because the one time Pellers has lost it at refs or looks like someone just shot his beloved dog is when it goes tits in the CL. In the PL it goes tits he just looks grumpy.

Pellers has more wriggle room than Mancini partly because Txiki employed Pellers but largely because Txiki is not involved in a dick measuring contest with Pellers as he was with Roberto. But bottom line for Pellers, or any manager, is the CL. Going backwards in the CL is simply not an option if you want to keep your job. We can chat about players and attitudes and who is to blame but it won't matter. The club has a lot of money invested in this squad and it should be doing better so you only have to do the maths to figure out who will carry the can. 'Eez football' and all that.

Maybe the players and manager are as laid back about this season as you are and that's been the problem defending our titles?

It's a fine art to instill hunger into a group of players to go again, that's why back to back titles are so rare, the pisscan over the road being the exception to the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.