Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
moomba said:
Mister Appointment said:
I think we also need to decide as a group of supporters what our expectations are season on season and what should happen if they're not met. Lets say Pellegrini finishes 2nd and doesn't win a trophy - should he just be sacked? If he is then what? Next guy same thing - win something in your first season or you're out?

I think everyone is entitled to a down season, player and manager. Seems to be the way nowadays that people need someone to pay for any failure but I reckon thats a bit shortsighted. So if we fall short of my expectations this season what I'd be looking for (if I had a say) is answers to how things will change in the next season. Providing I'm satisfied with those answers then he has to be given the chance. Even more so given the fact that MP has achieved success with us, that has to count for something.

What I wouldn't want is one down season to become two down seasons so if we don't meet expectations this year I'd be looking to see improvements fairly early in the piece. If we're still having the same problems then it wouldn't take much for me to think a change is needed.

Sound logic and likely to be mirrored by the people who have the say whether a change is needed or not however the targets are usually set on a year by year basis especially for someone who in all probability is going to at best have the three year contract and then be replaced no matter the trophy haul in that three year period.

People always need new challenges and football is no different.

My take on it is that the minimum expectation for MP this season was progression in Europe despite FFPR and a 21 man squad and qualification for the same tournament next season.

I would have thought the playing group would have bought into that as well but they haven't for reasons they should know by now.

You would expect especially given the fact that Liverpool have lost a huge chunk of there scoring prowess , Manure have a new manager and are still teetering with the legacy that is Sir Alex, Arsenal well they are Arsenal and Spurs have a new manager and little strike power that this season it would be seen as a failure of some proportion if we don't finish in the top two.

Given that Chelsea are still in 4 comps and we only in two after the next game ( sorry those who think we will qualify but we will finish last and deservedly so ) we have a huge advantage over them so I would expect us and Chelsea to fight out the title this season.

I think a second place finish would place MP in a position where he may be afforded the opportunity of a final season at the helm but more likely he will get the tap on the shoulder.

Lucky Toma said:
It's bad enough that we have plenty of non-Blues out there who believe we won last season almost by default, as if we simply picked up a dropped baton and crossed the line.

It seems there are a few of us who think this too. Which is quite depressing.
It was the same with the previous one and it'll be the same with the next if we don't have it wrapped up by April.

We were scintillating at times last season. After an inconsistent start we had a run from November to January where we played some wonderful football and beat nearly everything we came up against. However, we had a new manager, new players and a new system, opposition teams didn't know what to expect. The second half of the season went a little differently as teams came up with plans to stop us. In the end we did just enough to win what was a poor league. This season we needed fresh ideas, but Pellegrini has one system and to me, seems to be stubbornly believing that because it worked last year it will work this year, that because we've got better individuals, we can play however he wants. He's wrong in my opinion and we need to adapt to our opposition game on game. We need more than one way of playing so if a team sets up to stop Silva and Yaya through the middle, we can use Navas and Kolarov and attack the space they've left out wide, for example, and many more. We don't have that, and it's costing us.

Funny when the scum started slowly and play poorly it was always oh they will come good after Christmas bollocks from all media outlets!!

I'm speculating here but I reckon most can put up with a bit of a dip as long as they can feel confident the manager is going to sort it. With his post game comments though (and I understand it must be difficult when English is not your first language) the fans aren't getting that confidence. You then start to wonder if we're not getting that confidence, what are the players getting from him?

I wonder when, or if, any of our players have the bollocks to say "look boss, do you not think we need to try something different?"

As we have seen the club are not afraid to make the big decisions. I fear Manuel's stubbornness (given the fruit it is currently bearing) may well force a decision a little sooner than others are prepared to accept.

strongbowholic said:
I'm speculating here but I reckon most can put up with a bit of a dip as long as they can feel confident the manager is going to sort it. With his post game comments though (and I understand it must be difficult when English is not your first language) the fans aren't getting that confidence. You then start to wonder if we're not getting that confidence, what are the players getting from him?

I wonder when, or if, any of our players have the bollocks to say "look boss, do you not think we need to try something different?"

So we're back to he's lost the dressing room. Just dressed in a different skirt. :)

As we have seen the club are not afraid to make the big decisions. I fear Manuel's stubbornness (given the fruit it is currently bearing) may well force a decision a little sooner than others are prepared to accept.

I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't be prepared to accept a manager had to go if he had lost the dressing room and lost the confidence of the board of directors.

Oh. Wait.

Gaylord du Bois said:
Lucky Toma said:
It's bad enough that we have plenty of non-Blues out there who believe we won last season almost by default, as if we simply picked up a dropped baton and crossed the line.

It seems there are a few of us who think this too. Which is quite depressing.
It was the same with the previous one and it'll be the same with the next if we don't have it wrapped up by April.
The title is won over 38 games, not 4 or 5. In 2012 and last season, we had times when results were poor and we had good winning sequences. The difference was that we held our nerve at the end and the rags, Chelsea and Liverpool didn't. For me, it was the Everton game last season that defined our title win, in the same way the 1-0 v the rags did in 2012.

strongbowholic said:

I wonder when, or if, any of our players have the bollocks to say "look boss, do you think we need to try?"

Fixed :-)

Pellegrini doesn't go into too much detail to the press on anything so he isn't going to start with 'Why are you playing so crap?' - he may be stubborn but he isn't stupid.

Just a voice of reason for a moment
The only competition we are out of is the League Cup
We are still very much in all other comps.
MP wont be sacked, its too early, the Press are in a frenzy because the City crisis is the ultimate early Christmas present
What will be happening is getting the cheque book out now to secure a top midfielder in January, MP will also be told to watch what he is saying in Press Conferences, he is not helping when he talks about crisis, faith and trust.
Generally our squad is still suffering from the WC where none of our stars performed well and all must have come away deflated and tired with confidence levels shot to peices.
Theres no evidence that MP has lost the dressing room, the tunnel cam is a good measure of team spirit and it looks good
Tactics may need tweaking but generally things are fine
Looking ahead, if we don't progress in Europe, take an early exit in the FA Cup and don't stay close to Chelsea changes will be made.
Spending a billion pounds on a project gives you the right to expect trophies every year

Mister Appointment said:
strongbowholic said:

So we're back to he's lost the dressing room. Just dressed in a different skirt. :)

I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't be prepared to accept a manager had to go if he had lost the dressing room and lost the confidence of the board of directors.

Oh. Wait.
Indeed and after a similar and protracted debate it was proven correct.

However this is not about any former manager it is about the current one, how he seems somewhat inflexible in his approach, cannot buy a win in Europe and is somehow failing to get a performance out of a team of first class talent.

The trajectory is currently not what the club had planned for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.