Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobKowalski said:
117 M34 said:
re: team selection

(just playing devil's advocate)

It was similar in style to the team Mancini won the league with.
Dzeko and aguero up front
Silva and nasri behind as play makers
2 holding midfielders (de jong and barry)
Clichy, zabba, company and hart the same

It could be my memory playing tricks but didn't we largely stop playing Barry and De Jong as a pairing in that season leading to Nigel's eventual sale in the summer?

As for formations/team selections/diamonds/width no width or whatever if the 11 players you pick play with the tempo and zip of zombies out of the Walking Dead then you can count yourself lucky to get out of the game with a point. As Nasri said the team needs to wake the fuck up. This is the extent of my contribution on formations/tactics and whatnot. Basically I'm on TeamSamir.

Course you are right as that is a team without Yaya which incredibly has not been included.

De jong was a bit part player that year because Barry was the perfect player to play the holding role. I lost count of the number of big matches where Barry would completely dominate the midfield, break up play and, when required, slow the tempo of the game by winning a cheap free kick or retaining possession with his underrated passing ability.

Sadly as yet we have still not replaced him. Barry had the premiership know how, ability to read the game neither fernando or fernandinho have displayed.

It is no coincidence over the last two years the 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 debate has raged, and the struggles of Yaya in a two discussed, which were rarely mentioned during Barrys tenure at the club. The midfield has never looked as solid since and similarly players like Nastasic, Kompany's form has never been the same and similarly Demi and now Mangala have been heavily criticised. Admittedly that is partly due to the individuals involved but also due to the openness of the midfield.

the midfield has been wide open with huge gaps in front of the defenders (especially the two centre halves) since day one of Pellers reign.

there is no surprise the form of all our defenders but in particular Kompany and his successive partners have suffered and we are much more open and easy to score against.

so many people on here have been saying on a regular basis that he needs to get the balance right and he is yet to do that (on a regular basis).....he gets team selections and tactics wrong on a semi regular basis....the surpassing thing is he has shown he can change it BUT then goes bad to something that hasn't worked prior and his stubbornness is killing us in certain games

he needs to adapt and change tactics/personnel a lot more when considering who we are playing. there was no reason for two defensive minded midfielders at home to Hull..........while playing dzeko without anyone to provide width was just strange.

In simple terms, Pellers picked the wrong team and wrong tactics for the Hull game and has previous for it aswell. If it costs him his job he only has himself to blame.
His attacking style of football is great at times, but as some have said is very one dimensional.
His plan B's are much better than Mancini ever were but his Plan A's can be a lot worse.
All those worrying about how we will be perceived as a club if we get Simeone in have to wake up. We are already the pantomime villain when Mansour bought us over. I don't care about what the press say anymore, all I want is dominance, and this man will bring it.
Those also saying we will need a whole new team have to wake up too. The ingredients are all there, we'd probably need 4 players, LB, DM, CM and LM. That's it. Nastasic would excel under his management too and we could get rid of the shit we keep buying from Portugal.
The sooner we leave the likes of the Portuguese and Italian leagues alone for players too, the better, and I believe that is above Pellers.
Truth be told, Pellers is done for.

Ricster said:
In simple terms, Pellers picked the wrong team and wrong tactics for the Hull game and has previous for it aswell. If it costs him his job he only has himself to blame.
His attacking style of football is great at times, but as some have said is very one dimensional.
His plan B's are much better than Mancini ever were but his Plan A's can be a lot worse.
All those worrying about how we will be perceived as a club if we get Simeone in have to wake up. We are already the pantomime villain when Mansour bought us over. I don't care about what the press say anymore, all I want is dominance, and this man will bring it.
Those also saying we will need a whole new team have to wake up too. The ingredients are all there, we'd probably need 4 players, LB, DM, CM and LM. That's it. Nastasic would excel under his management too and we could get rid of the shit we keep buying from Portugal.
The sooner we leave the likes of the Portuguese and Italian leagues alone for players too, the better, and I believe that is above Pellers.

The tactics don't change. Period. You can't blame pelligrini for that. We all know how we play. That is the problem. Not the whole holistic thing, because that does work. Ask Barcelona.

The issue is we don't have the players to do it, or we are not doing it properly.

Teams are finding it far too easy to play between the lines. That's not tactics. Its a shit holding midfielder and a lack of commitment/bad attitude from certain people.

Not getting tight, not reading the game. Lazy lethargic mentality.

B9b6zW_IIAI7a8F.jpg

Yes please!

proy said:
Ricster said:

The tactics don't change. Period. You can't blame pelligrini for that. We all know how we play. That is the problem. Not the whole holistic thing, because that does work. Ask Barcelona.

The issue is we don't have the players to do it, or we are not doing it properly.

Teams are finding it far too easy to play between the lines. That's not tactics. Its a shit holding midfielder and a lack of commitment/bad attitude from certain people.

Not getting tight, not reading the game. Lazy lethargic mentality.

To be fair , in a 4-4-2 with two central midfielders , you cant be an out an out holding midfielder really .
In a 3 man central midfield you can deploy an out and out holding midfielder.
Like if we play 4-2-3-1 , 4-5-1
Dont get me wrong though, even if we played that formation , i dont think fernando is anywhere near good enough, i actually think Garcia was a better holding midfielder than him and thats saying something.
Id like to think he can turn it round but i just dont think so.
But MP keeps picking him so it's not the lads fault- we can all see it but the gaffer cant ?
What does that tell you ?
Worrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.