Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB1 said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
The bigger point with regard the footballing thing, is that our difficulties go way beyond Pellegrini not legislating for the opposition's strengths (if indeed that's true at all, when only last week for example he selected Sagna, a stay at home jockeyer, rather than fans favourite Zabaleta, a marauding diver inner, specifically to negate the threat of Hazard).
The club, under the overall stewardship of Txixi and Ferian, is in the process of installing a particular footballing philosophy - largely modelled, rightly or wrongly (and personally I think it's a mistake), on tika taka - throughout the entire club, from the U10's right the way through to the first team, and the problem that both the club and the manager has, is that the squad has been broadly assembled to play that way. Aggressive front foot defenders, full backs providing the width, intricate triangular passing moves to bring those full backs into play etc etc.

Whilst we have been horrendously unlucky with injuries, the squad is (and has been for 2 or 3 years) lacking when it comes to the fundamental attributes needed to adapt our playing style. Navas is the only winger at the club and the only attacking player with any real pace, and even he is horribly one dimensional; a push and chase merchant who lacks any kind of trickery to wrong foot opponents, which he why he so frequently cuts inside or turns and lays the ball backwards. The lack of pace and/or anyone who can dribble is a real handicap for us then in terms of our ability to counterattack, and indeed to drag parked buses out of position. And with regards the latter tactic, which the rags under Taggart used to circumvent by practising endless evil crossing drills at Carrington, we have no-one, bar Kolarov, whose presence weakens the team overall anyway, who can put in anything other than floaty inaccurate crap from the flanks; manna from heaven for the clod hopper centre halves at Burnley, Hull and Stoke.

Whilst Pellegrini's team selection on Saturday was inexcusable in both the inclusion of Dzeko and the expectation that Fernando, an out and out spoiler, should be considered capable of acting as a de facto attacking conduit, the team that played most of the 2nd half was the one that most of us would probably have picked from the off (given who was available), and yet whilst it looked more mobile and lively overall, it yielded barely any more goal scoring chances than the woefully unbalanced set of plodders did in the first half.

People keep seeming surprised that we can go to places like Chelsea and do well, and yet come unstuck against the lesser teams. The simple reason is that those lesser teams make it fantastically difficult for us, to the point that anyone and everyone below about 5th place parks a fleet of buses whenever they play us, and indeed the teams currently lying 1st, 3rd and 6th have all come to the Etihad this season and done it to us as well. We are uniquely ill equipped to circumvent this tactic for the reasons described, and whilst Pellegrini should rightly take criticism for some truly inexplicable team selections this season, I genuinely don't think that any other manager out there would fare significantly better with the players we currently have at our disposal. Whether that's Pellegrini's fault, or that of those above him doing the buying and imposing the philosophy, is harder to call IMO

Now that actually is a good post, from someone who genuinely knows what they are talking about; must be those coaching badges. However, I am not here to blow smoke up your hiney: I don't smoke and I'd need the kind of edifice that would excite Fred Dibnah to produce the required volume.

I do not entirely agree about tiki taka but I do think it needs a modification for use in this country. The aspects of keeping the ball, pass and move at pace and with intricacy are things that I believe in and are a good way to bring up players. I am also very much into the idea of dominating possession, both by having high pass completion but also by pressing aggressively when the ball is lost. One of our problems is that we have not achieved the levels of pressing I would like to see and that may mean that we take less risks in the attacking third. If we had greater confidence that we would win the ball back quickly, we might be prepared to try more of the difficult balls. We would also be helped in that regard - pressing - if we had more pace in the team and you have beaten me into complete submission on the point of having more pace in the team. That said, I still think we could make up for some of that lack of pace by moving the ball more quickly, which brings us back to the value of drilling players in txiki { ;-) } taka.

I do think we need to give ourselves the option of using real wingers, who have both pace and dribbling ability plus the aptitude to whip in those wicked flat crosses that you obsess over - part of looking beyond tiki taka. In the short-term, maybe there will be occasions where we use Kolarov as left winger and Navas / Milner on the right to fire balls in for Bony to attack but would Manuel go for that?

The other point I would dispute with you and others is the idea that Fernando was meant to be the attacking conduit in central midfield because he is the obvious guy to drop out when Yaya returns. Dinho was surely the guy expected to take that role? He did after all score 53 goals in 284 games for Shakhtar; hardly the stats of an out and out defensive midfielder. I barely saw him play for Shakhtar but I am sure those that did claimed he was more than just a DM there.

Excellent post, totally agree about our need to press.. the analysis actually points up the tactical elements that differentiate us from Barca, despite that fact that we have loads of talent... it's how we use that talent

We make shyte teams look good for the exact reasons stated above...
They always seem to get way too much space on the counter

Watched Simeone thrash Real. Should have been 6 or 7. Made Ronny and co look useless.

I want to play like that. We could easily afford to buy players like the ones he has at Atletico. His midfield absolutely dominated. The positions they take and the tackling they do is lightyears beyond us, much better than Mourinho even. Management should do anything they can to get him.

That kind of team would put the fear of God into Chelsea.

trouble is comparing the Spanish league with the Enlgish league, is not every team in Spain can beat each other. Here, there is a real possibility on and given day that the guys at the bottom csn beat the guys at the top. The mentality is different so Spanish teams can rest key players and perform well in the bigger games instead.

I am an advocate for Simeone or Guardiola (like him now he has experience of a tougher league now in Germany) more for the playing style and passion more than anything

Ricster said:
In simple terms, Pellers picked the wrong team and wrong tactics for the Hull game and has previous for it aswell. If it costs him his job he only has himself to blame.
His attacking style of football is great at times, but as some have said is very one dimensional.
His plan B's are much better than Mancini ever were but his Plan A's can be a lot worse.
All those worrying about how we will be perceived as a club if we get Simeone in have to wake up. We are already the pantomime villain when Mansour bought us over. I don't care about what the press say anymore, all I want is dominance, and this man will bring it.
Those also saying we will need a whole new team have to wake up too. The ingredients are all there, we'd probably need 4 players, LB, DM, CM and LM. That's it. Nastasic would excel under his management too and we could get rid of the shit we keep buying from Portugal.
The sooner we leave the likes of the Portuguese and Italian leagues alone for players too, the better, and I believe that is above Pellers.
Truth be told, Pellers is done for.

I didnt have too much of a problem with the starting line up. The set up that worked well at Chelsea, with Silva playing behind a single strker, just hasnt been working at home eg against Arsenal. I could understand Pellegrini bringing in Dzeko and Nasri at least partly to reduce the burden on Silva and Aguero, to help them get back to form.

Playing the two Ferns in midfield might have worked if Fernandhino had played as the dynamic box to box player that I thought we'd signed.

As it turned out Nasri wasnt sufficiently fit, Silva's drop in form has turned into a full on slump, Aguero still isnt back to his best and once again Fernandhino didnt step up.

I'm more inclined to criticise Pellegrini for the general torpor that seems to have set in at home rather than his starting selections. His substiutions were bizarre though.

GeekinGav said:
trouble is comparing the Spanish league with the Enlgish league, is not every team in Spain can beat each other. Here, there is a real possibility on and given day that the guys at the bottom csn beat the guys at the top. The mentality is different so Spanish teams can rest key players and perform well in the bigger games instead.

I am an advocate for Simeone or Guardiola (like him now he has experience of a tougher league now in Germany) more for the playing style and passion more than anything
For me, that's only because our top sides are nothing special. Put our top sides in La Liga and we'd drop as many points as we do here; put their top sides in the Prem and you'd see them have seasons like Arsenal's in 2004 or Chelsea's in 2005, or seasons like they do in La Liga every year. I look at us and Chelsea and neither team are that good at all, not at the level of the very best in Europe.

Blue Haze said:
Watched Simeone thrash Real. Should have been 6 or 7. Made Ronny and co look useless.

I want to play like that. We could easily afford to buy players like the ones he has at Atletico. His midfield absolutely dominated. The positions they take and the tackling they do is lightyears beyond us, much better than Mourinho even. Management should do anything they can to get him.

So we fire Mancini cause hes abrasive, not holistic, not a yes man and get Mr. holistic, not abrasive, players daddy, yes man just so that we can fire him to get the person Mancini would call his Godfather?

If we couldnt handle Mancini, trust me we cant handle Simoeone! Hes been one of my fav players ever since his Sevilla days so Ive followed him closely and if my understanding of holistic is right then he is no where near that.. He does things his own way.. and his ruthless when it comes to delivering what he demands on the pitch.

I would love him here though but to me it just seems an odd decision considering the Mancio era..

Mancini - ohhh said:
Blue Haze said:

So we fire Mancini cause hes abrasive, not holistic, not a yes man and get Mr. holistic, not abrasive, players daddy, yes man just so that we can fire him to get the person Mancini would call his Godfather?

If we couldnt handle Mancini, trust me we cant handle Simoeone! Hes been one of my fav players ever since his Sevilla days so Ive followed him closely and if my understanding of holistic is right then he is no where near that.. He does things his own way.. and his ruthless when it comes to delivering what he demands on the pitch.

I would love him here though but to me it just seems an odd decision considering the Mancio era..

You can't look at Mancini and Pellegrini in such a generalised way. Mancini wasn't sacked because he was tough and demanding - he was sacked because he publicly questioned the board and wanted an unlimited budget on players which simply wasn't going to happen. With Pellegrini he can be as nice as he wants, he will be sacked if we don't do well on the pitch. That's become such a stereotype with City fans. Mancini was sacked because he didn't say hello to the tea lady. Pellegrini is lovely and the players love him... the board won't care how the managers go about things so long as they are respected, the clubs name is respected and the brand enhanced and results on the pitch are good.

Simeone is, similarly to Guardiola, a really meticulous coach. He played the game in a certain way and wants his players to show the same fight and desire to win. He works on everything to the last details and that leads to players improving and implementing his tactics perfectly. If he can bring that to us and also understand that teams in this league will provide more of a challenge on a regular basis then we will do well.

We will have to see how the rest of the season pans out. If we beat Barcelona then Pellegrini will be given another season regardless of whether we fail to win anything. I can't see him being given more time if we lose to Barca and fail to win the league (which looks inevitable).

I think it's a big summer for the club with transfers etc and maybe Pellegrini will be given another year regardless. It seems the more sensible option. But that's rarely a factor in football.

cibaman said:
Ricster said:
In simple terms, Pellers picked the wrong team and wrong tactics for the Hull game and has previous for it aswell. If it costs him his job he only has himself to blame.
His attacking style of football is great at times, but as some have said is very one dimensional.
His plan B's are much better than Mancini ever were but his Plan A's can be a lot worse.
All those worrying about how we will be perceived as a club if we get Simeone in have to wake up. We are already the pantomime villain when Mansour bought us over. I don't care about what the press say anymore, all I want is dominance, and this man will bring it.
Those also saying we will need a whole new team have to wake up too. The ingredients are all there, we'd probably need 4 players, LB, DM, CM and LM. That's it. Nastasic would excel under his management too and we could get rid of the shit we keep buying from Portugal.
The sooner we leave the likes of the Portuguese and Italian leagues alone for players too, the better, and I believe that is above Pellers.
Truth be told, Pellers is done for.

I didnt have too much of a problem with the starting line up. The set up that worked well at Chelsea, with Silva playing behind a single strker, just hasnt been working at home eg against Arsenal. I could understand Pellegrini bringing in Dzeko and Nasri at least partly to reduce the burden on Silva and Aguero, to help them get back to form.

Playing the two Ferns in midfield might have worked if Fernandhino had played as the dynamic box to box player that I thought we'd signed.

As it turned out Nasri wasnt sufficiently fit, Silva's drop in form has turned into a full on slump, Aguero still isnt back to his best and once again Fernandhino didnt step up.

I'm more inclined to criticise Pellegrini for the general torpor that seems to have set in at home rather than his starting selections. His substiutions were bizarre though.

Fernandinho had his best season last season you will make him see in a City shirt-he ran through walls for one reason only, and that was to make the World Cup in his homeland that he craved so much-hes a shadow of the player he was last season.

We have major surgery to undertake in Midfield, Yaya is in the twilight of his career and quite frankly dumb and dumber are just not good enough.

sam-caddick said:
B9b6zW_IIAI7a8F.jpg

Yes please!

Please be true :-). The guys a top manager.

hgblue said:
Please be true :-). The guys a top manager.

As I said the other day, don't get your hopes up. Buckley's chance of him leaving Madrid this summer. And when he eventually does I suspect he'll be Barcelona manager. Rumours are already doing the rounds that Laporta is going to run his election for Barca presidency this summer around the promise of Simeone and Koke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.