Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all those who have read the article and quote facts, here's a few. Hart, Englands No1, A proven winner in the Premier League, Golden glove winner, City through and through. Also for good measure we have young Gunn who must be a season or two away from challenging Joe. For me its a big NO, don't need another foreign keeper as No2, get Green or similar home grown till Gunn is ready.

I have to agree...just don't get why we are looking at a keeper...I don't know this Stegen lad as I don't follow foreign footie much...is he really that decent?

I'm not a particular fan of Joe Hart as a personality but he is a great keeper and City through and through...I just can't see why we would try to ursurp him

wouldn't make any sense at all. Hart is better than ter stegen at everything apart from distribution, which people have become obsessed with. hart is not exactly bad with his distribution, he might not be able to ping 40 yard balls to feet every time... he's one of the best keepers in the league and one of the best in europe - it would just be stupid. when a pass isn't on he has to kick it long, our forwards rarely ever win headers.

add in the fact we would be losing one of our leaders. I dont think you can have 2 world class keepers, at barca, and other teams one always becomes unhappy.

I agree with the post, especially the bit I have underlined

People talk about Harts distribution, but a keeper distribution is as much about players making themselves available and knowing what to do with the ball quickly, so Pep will improve Harts distribution as much by improving the players around him as much as Hart himself.
Not sure about that really. Yes a better system for playing the ball out from the back will probably be devised but it may turn out that Joe will not fit neatly into it. For me Joe looks uncomfortable with ball at feet full stop and I don't think Pep will be able to change that. However, given Joe's overall contribution it will take a very good keeper to dislodge him imo.

wouldn't make any sense at all. Hart is better than ter stegen at everything apart from distribution, which people have become obsessed with. hart is not exactly bad with his distribution, he might not be able to ping 40 yard balls to feet every time... he's one of the best keepers in the league and one of the best in europe - it would just be stupid. when a pass isn't on he has to kick it long, our forwards rarely ever win headers.

add in the fact we would be losing one of our leaders. I dont think you can have 2 world class keepers, at barca, and other teams one always becomes unhappy.

It's not about 40 yard passes to feet, it's about just being happy to play 1-2's and be on the ball for extended periods of time.

Watch this video

It's really not about starting attacks quickly or long range passes, it's about being an option for the passer all the time. So that when teams like Leicester or Liverpool or Spurs press high up, they get nowhere because you have an extra player.

I absolutely love Joe Hart, I want him to stay here until he's 40 - but you cannot see him doing any of the stuff in that video. The fact is that Guardiola needs a keeper who can do this kind of passing out of the back - it's fundamental to his system.

So that means

a) Hart improves on the ball drastically, after working with Pep's coaches and doing Rondo's etc.

or

b) we get a keeper who can play a part in open play.

I'd much rather see option a), but can't blame Pep for exploring the idea of a replacement. And that's why this would be a sensible purchase - Buy ter Stegen and hope that the competition and coaching from Pep improves Hart, then sell ter Stegen later if he really wants to be number 1, or Hart doesn't adapt and we've got a keeper who can play that way already, when he was on the market.

Last edited:
It's not about 40 yard passes to feet, it's about just being happy to play 1-2's and be on the ball for extended periods of time.

Watch this video

It's really not about starting attacks quickly or long range passes, it's about being an option for the passer all the time. So that when teams like Leicester or Liverpool or Spurs press high up, they get nowhere because you have an extra player.

I absolutely love Joe Hart, I want him to stay here until he's 40 - but you cannot see him doing any of the stuff in that video. The fact is that Guardiola needs a keeper who can do this kind of passing out of the back - it's fundamental to his system.

So that means

a) Hart improves on the ball drastically, after working with Pep's coaches and doing Rondo's etc.

or

b) we get a keeper who can play a part in open play.

I'd much rather see option a), but can't blame Pep for exploring the idea of a replacement. And that's why this would be a sensible purchase - Buy ter Stegen and hope that the competition and coaching from Pep improves Hart, then sell ter Stegen later if he really wants to be number 1, or Hart doesn't adapt and we've got a keeper who can play that way already, when he was on the market.

Fans don't seem to think having a great goalkeeper is a big deal. Joe's not great, he's very good. He's a fanstastic shotstopper but he's a terrible flapper on crosses, doesn't command his area and his distribution is average.

All things that this chap is rather strong on. We wouldn't put up with a midfielder who isn't quite in line with our ambitions- why put up with a keeper who's not quite the whole package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.