Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I've not seen one suggestion of anyone different from those opposed.
I don't'the want to come across as arsey on the subject because I'm a big Hart fan and understand why people might be against the signing . We are going to need somebody to replace caballero so I'm wondering what type of keeper others would prefer as a number two ( or number one if it is the case)

Pantilimon?

Psml

But seriously, if we were to get stegen and hart goes I'd look at bringing in Angus gunn as back up. He's home grown too.
I've honestly not seen enough of Gunn, or any of our other young keepers to give an opinion on that. I'd love to think we've got somebody coming through to step up to the first team squad though.

I think if Ter Stegen comes Joe may hang around to see how things develop, but unless the new boy has a shocking spell at the start I just can't see Pep favouring Joe over a keeper he has signed for good money and who will not be happy playing second string (let's face it, if he's not happy doing that at Barca I can't see him settling for that treatment here!)
Ter Stegen would be signing as Pep's n 1 choice and I think Joe will have his work cut out to displace him. Can see him off to loserpool in Jan if this transfer takes place.

Great keeper and will push Joe. Up to Joe to step up a level and there's no reason he can't.

It's not about 40 yard passes to feet, it's about just being happy to play 1-2's and be on the ball for extended periods of time.

Watch this video

It's really not about starting attacks quickly or long range passes, it's about being an option for the passer all the time. So that when teams like Leicester or Liverpool or Spurs press high up, they get nowhere because you have an extra player.

I absolutely love Joe Hart, I want him to stay here until he's 40 - but you cannot see him doing any of the stuff in that video. The fact is that Guardiola needs a keeper who can do this kind of passing out of the back - it's fundamental to his system.

So that means

a) Hart improves on the ball drastically, after working with Pep's coaches and doing Rondo's etc.

or

b) we get a keeper who can play a part in open play.

I'd much rather see option a), but can't blame Pep for exploring the idea of a replacement. And that's why this would be a sensible purchase - Buy ter Stegen and hope that the competition and coaching from Pep improves Hart, then sell ter Stegen later if he really wants to be number 1, or Hart doesn't adapt and we've got a keeper who can play that way already, when he was on the market.

i get what your saying, but again to me that doesnt make sense, get rid of a keeper whos better at everything else apart from being able to play quick one twos.. hart isn't exactly bad at that either and this season he has always been an option for a pass. its just not enough of a reason to get rid of one of our best players, which is what wed be doing. we've won the league, trophies with hart who has been amazing for most of that time. leadership, a player who actually cares about the club, english and a super talented gk are all more important for me then being able to play out the back ( which hart can do)

Complete waste of money.

Hart is one of the best goal keepers, he won with us many trophies and he should remain is our #1 Goal Keeper.

i get what your saying, but again to me that doesnt make sense, get rid of a keeper whos better at everything else apart from being able to play quick one twos.. hart isn't exactly bad at that either and this season he has always been an option for a pass. its just not enough of a reason to get rid of one of our best players, which is what wed be doing. we've won the league, trophies with hart who has been amazing for most of that time. leadership, a player who actually cares about the club, english and a super talented gk are all more important for me then being able to play out the back ( which hart can do)
Hart never passes it short, he's about as safety first with his distribution as any keeper I've seen. He kicks it long pretty much every time, almost always losing us the ball as we are a team of diddy men. Every Pep team uses the keeper to recycle possession if the defenders get pressed, it's crucial to how the entire team operates. If Hart can't pass it out from the back reliably then he can't be the keeper in a Pep team, it's pretty much as simple as that. Hart may well prove that he is capable of doing that, but he's not shown enough signs of it to not make it a massive gamble to not at least have a competitive alternative if he can't, so bringing in an alternative is pretty sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.