Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could go either way on this signing but Joe's terrible distribution kind of bugs me.

Sorry, but this is becoming a myth of 'Ringo couldn't play the drums' proportions. 80% of the time Joe Hart throws the ball out, so no real issue with accuracy there, which leaves us with kicking. Firstly, just how accurate do people expect a goalkeeper walloping a ball 60 yards downfield to be FFS?! Secondly, Joe's targets are often Kun, Sterling, Navas and Spanish Dave, each giving away about 6 inches to those marking them. Thirdly, his alternative option is Bacary Sagna, stuck right out on the touchline with virtually no margin for error as a consequence.
I honestly couldn't give two shits if Joe occasionally plonks one into the front row of the Colin Bell Stand. It's absolutely the last thing I'd worry about when looking for a new goalkeeper. What I would want is one who intimidates opposition forwards and keeps the ball out of our fucking net, something Joe Hart is one of the best in the world at.
For all the reasons stated about English quotas and making us vulnerable to law changes from people like Gill and Dyke, this is a potential signing that just isn't needed. It carries minimal benefit potential and a bucketload of risk

that's the thing though people are kicking off as if the £20m is all our transfer budget and getting spent on one player!
Haha! Whilst there's some truth in that I reckon most people are kicking off mainly because it's Joe Hart we're talking about. He means a lot to most fans, me included, so I understand why there's a bit of angst. It's not too dissimilar to the threads on Kompany and Silva where more than the fair share are saying get rid or they're not good enough. I've found myself getting heated on those because, like Hart on this one, I hate the thought of my favourite players being cast off so readily when they have more to offer.

I don't understand what kind of keeper some are looking for though? That's my main gripe with those who say it's ridiculous or we don't need anybody because that's patently untrue. We do need somebody regardless, and I'd rather it not be a second rate stand in but somebody who can push Joe to improve.

i get what your saying, but again to me that doesnt make sense, get rid of a keeper whos better at everything else apart from being able to play quick one twos.. hart isn't exactly bad at that either and this season he has always been an option for a pass. its just not enough of a reason to get rid of one of our best players, which is what wed be doing. we've won the league, trophies with hart who has been amazing for most of that time. leadership, a player who actually cares about the club, english and a super talented gk are all more important for me then being able to play out the back ( which hart can do)

This, all day long

Sorry, but this is becoming a myth of 'Ringo couldn't play the drums' proportions. 80% of the time Joe Hart throws the ball out, so no real issue with accuracy there, which leaves us with kicking. Firstly, just how accurate do people expect a goalkeeper walloping a ball 60 yards downfield to be FFS?! Secondly, Joe's targets are often Kun, Sterling, Navas and Spanish Dave, each giving away about 6 inches to those marking them. Thirdly, his alternative option is Bacary Sagna, stuck right out on the touchline with virtually no margin for error as a consequence.
I honestly couldn't give two shits if Joe occasionally plonks one into the front row of the Colin Bell Stand. It's absolutely the last thing I'd worry about when looking for a new goalkeeper. What I would want is one who intimidates opposition forwards and keeps the ball out of our fucking net, something Joe Hart is one of the best in the world at.
For all the reasons stated about English quotas and making us vulnerable to law changes from people like Gill and Dyke, this is a potential signing that just isn't needed. It carries minimal benefit potential and a bucketload of risk
It's not a myth at all. He's hesitant and nowhere near confident or comfortable on the ball. He's a fantastic keeper in many ways but wherever you like it or not this is one area in which he struggles. Unfortunately for him it's also an area that is very important to Guardiola.
You're right that we don't always give him a decent outlet but by the same token there are many occasions when it's there but he fails to spot it, or doesn't want to risk it.

It's not a myth at all. He's hesitant and nowhere near confident or comfortable on the ball. He's a fantastic keeper in many ways but wherever you like it or not this is one area in which he struggles. Unfortunately for him it's also an area that is very important to Guardiola.
You're right that we don't always give him a decent outlet but by the same token there are many occasions when it's there but he fails to spot it, or doesn't want to risk it.

Then I guess it boils down to whether you think that arguable deficiency merits jettisoning one of the best keepers in the world at preventing the opposition scoring, and who just happens to be English as well. Personally I think it's madness

Then I guess it boils down to whether you think that arguable deficiency merits jettisoning one of the best keepers in the world at preventing the opposition scoring, and who just happens to be English as well. Personally I think it's madness
I know, and I understand your reasoning behind it mate. On this one I think we're going to have to disagree and see what pans out.

People here are talking about jettisoning Hart. This is about signing Ter Stegen! With all due respect to Willy and his cup final heroics, why on earth would we not want two world class players for every position?

People here are talking about jettisoning Hart. This is about signing Ter Stegen! With all due respect to Willy and his cup final heroics, why on earth would we not want two world class players for every position?

We might want two world class players in every position, but Ter Stegen has said he only wants to move for first team football and I can't see a keeper of Hart's calibre being prepared to spend prolonged periods on the bench. He'll be off, and it'll be a big loss for us

You make totally valid points. I think Pablo summed up how I feel well enough (not confident enough on the ball, unwilling to take the risks etc).

Let's also not forget the run Joe had where he was dropped for Pantilmon either. He's been great this year and he helps with the quota. I love Joe. Every game I can't wait to hear him in the tunnel. Having said all this we need to give daddy what he wants and if it's the German young boy then well damn it get daddy the young German.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.