Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are transfers so slow in the modern game ?? So much red type to cross, agents getting involved between selling club and buying club, the media are given a slot to when they can officially put out the transfer its all bollocks

what happened to the good old handshake or word of mouth

Why are transfers so slow in the modern game ?? So much red type to cross, agents getting involved between selling club and buying club, the media are given a slot to when they can officially put out the transfer its all bollocks

Onlince social media happened

We may have to pay him legally but surely it’s up to us who we give squad spaces to?
Had a quick Google of what would happen under employment law and it looks complicated. Dont think City would want to be taken to a tribunal for unfair dismissal. Whether City decide to register him for competitions is a different matter

Nothing has changed its just that its more in the open nowadays. Its a lot harder nowadays to meet an agent at a motorway service station with a load of brown envelopes.

Had a quick Google of what would happen under employment law and it looks complicated. Dont think City would want to be taken to a tribunal for unfair dismissal. Whether City decide to register him for competitions is a different matter

You’d be better off googling the obligations of parties under a goods and services contract because players are contracted to supply services for a set period rather than being ‘employed’ in the traditional sense.
In most cases players are employed by their own companies or by their agents company’s and their services are sold to the clubs they play for - it’s an arrangement between companies rather than a direct employment - it makes not a lot of sense in the light of IR35 but that’s how it is.

You’d be better off googling the obligations of parties under a goods and services contract because players are contracted to supply services for a set period rather than being ‘employed’ in the traditional sense.
In most cases players are employed by their own companies or by their agents company’s and their services are sold to the clubs they play for - it’s an arrangement between companies rather than a direct employment - it makes not a lot of sense in the light of IR35 but that’s how it is.
HMRC put a stop to that while ago iirc

There are vast sums of money involved and contracts have to be exact.

The days of handshakes and word of mouth are thankfully long gone, all that era makes me think of is owners like Swales and Francis Lee (not as a player obviously) and stumbling from one disaster to another.

HMRC put a stop to that while ago iirc

Haha if that’s so then it’s about time.

I spent most of my working life employed by companies in commercial roles and steering clear of ir35 implications in employing subcontractors was one of my concerns.
I then set up my own company and sold my services into local authorities - and, out of respect for it, I always kept at least 2 clients on my books at any one time to negate ir35.
Despite all the concerns over ir35 I had plenty of peers who were employed as independent contractors to one sole organisation, often for decades without a break, but never got any grief due to it.
It was a threat hanging over sole contractors and self employed but ultimately toothless I guess.

I retired 5 years ago, in my late 50’s due to my wife’s ill health, so I’m out of date on the topic :-D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.