Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you right and indeed the fee paid does add pressure and expectation and that is a reason I was against the deal.

I can remember signing Steve Daley a very talented footballer, a very good footballer but Daley was never a 1.5 Million pound British record transfer player and the pressure and expectation got to him, he simply could not handle it.

Grealish is clearly a talented player but nowhere near the value we paid.
This post is a breath of fresh air here on bluemoon! I am not sure why most posters just wouldn't admit that we pay waaaay over his actual value.

This post is a breath of fresh air here on bluemoon! I am not sure why most posters just wouldn't admit that we pay waaaay over his actual value.
Things cost what they cost mate. Gas, electric and petrol are all at mental prices. If you want it you pay it, nothing that can be done. No need to admit anything, its a cest la vie type thing

Season ticket at Goldstone 1978 first game.
Hey CG, not spoken to you yet but - honest opinion - do you reckon that Cucurella is, regardless of cost, capable of maintaining / improving our status as PL & CL contenders ?

I've seen barely any of him (as much as I like you team's style of play, and you're one of the teams who I'll switch on to see if I have nowt else to do), so genuinely wondering what your opinion is ?

Bro, tell me, what is that argument about winning the league IN COMMON with signing a left-back? IMO zero in common, because that position is a weakness and we have to upgrade it. It has zero in common if we have won the league or not. It's not an argument in terms of signing a left-back or not. That position is a weakness for ages for us and every club apart from City would like to solve that problem ;)
We have an excellent left back in Cancelo and our backups are comparable with our rivals as it stands.

So as you see it he couldn't replace Gundog?
Pep can work wonders with players, so I'd never say no absolutely not. Everything I've seen of him makes me believe de Jong would be superb in a double pivot, which we could play and might benefit us in certain games, but I don't see us modifying our system to fit him when we've got Phillips to play a more advanced midfield role like Gundogan.

That's only my opinion, though. I've not watched a lot of him at Ajax and Barca has been all over the map tactically since he's been there.

We shoehorned Zin into that position, but in reality he's never really made it his own & has generally always been the backup option, even after the Mendy situation. That alone should be ringing alarm bells.

Again, one that is more a question of extent than the point, but that is a bit of an embelishment.

After the 17-18 season, when he was first tried at LB to get us to the end of the season, Zinchenko has played more games at LB than any other of our LBs in each of the following 3 seasons, up until the last season when Cancelo had a worldy on both sides of the pitch.

In 2 of those seasons he played as many and/or more games than the next 2 put together.

He is no doubt a squad player, I use that term myself, he shares that role with with others and is often not first choice. But he also often is, and has been more than just a back-up, for at least 3 of his 4 seasons as a LB.

It's been our achilles heel since Pep said during his first season that he couldn't play the football he wanted with 4 ageing FB's in their 30's. We made major changes then, but still only had Mendy as an LB, as Kolarov wanted to leave for Italy unexpectedly & was never replaced.
We’ve still never recovered from the Dani Alves snub. We’d have bought Ryan Bertrand that summer otherwise, but ended up with Danilo.

On second thoughts maybe that was for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.