Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the first offer indicates the club's interest in a player and signal willingness to negotiate. The example with Gabi and Raz is instructive. Arsenal and Chelsea didn't really think they could get the respective player for 30m. They just started the negotiation process. Same with us. Nobody at the club believes we can get Cucu for 30m, it's just an opening move. If Brighton don't want to discuss the fee and want 50m, we move and sign another LB.

At this stage, it looks certain that we won't get Cucu for less than 47-48m including realistic add-ons and a firm fee above say 42m. I guess the club know this and are exploring alternatives in case Brighton refuse to go lower than 50m.

Oh I get the concept of lowballing moves like that. I just don't believe clubs play a game of amataur bid bingo, at least not our one. Not to that vast of an extent of difference at least. Might be the only one there, but I think tixiki is a lot more professional and high brow than that.

Also don't think they would ever let it be known, and doesn't look like it is coming from the Brighton end, so I think Pol might be approaching his regular deadline to fill with the Athletic possibly.

Sometimes you just got to take a gamble, he was available this time last year as his release clause was €18m. Surely he would of been on our radar?
Don't think lb was in our minds last season. We were waiting for Kane

I doubt anyone really expected him to go for anything less than 40-45m, one year into his contract.
I guess it’s all about opinions. I watched him a few times and he didn’t strike me as being worth anything like £50m, I appreciate that if BHA value him at that it’s their right, and they have no need to move from that valuation, as spurs didn’t with HK. Therefore our choice is pay it or move on

Sometimes you just got to take a gamble, he was available this time last year as his release clause was €18m. Surely he would of been on our radar?
There was a report that we've been monitoring him since 2020, but it's Brighton who took the risk & bought him, & handed him a 5 year contract.

Fair play to Brighton, as they now hold the cards. I agree with the consensus that a deal maybe struck around £43m with £5m in achievable add-ons.

£30m is merely our opening shot across the bows & we'll probably come to an agreement for ⅔ the difference in valuations in Brighton's favour. Our needs for a LB are greater than Brighton's to sell... It is what it is. )(

Oh I get the concept of lowballing moves like that. I just don't believe clubs play a game of amataur bid bingo, at least not our one. Not to that vast of an extent of difference at least. Might be the only one there, but I think tixiki is a lot more professional and high brow than that.

Also don't think they would ever let it be known, and doesn't look like it is coming from the Brighton end, so I think Pol might be approaching his regular deadline to fill with the Athletic possibly.

You might be right, but the offer might be both real and theatrical. In other words, we may have verbal agreement with Brighton to sign Cucu for say 45m and are helping them to find a replacement by making the valuation differences seem bigger than they are in reality.

In any case, there's probably a good reason why we seem to be low-balling Brighton. Maybe we've decided that Sosa isn't worse business than Cucu, who knows?

Last edited:
I guess it’s all about opinions. I watched him a few times and he didn’t strike me as being worth anything like £50m, I appreciate that if BHA value him at that it’s their right, and they have no need to move from that valuation, as spurs didn’t with HK. Therefore our choice is pay it or move on

As a player, I agree. As a transfer deal, hard to argue.

Put it this way, if he had a 55m release clause, that would be that, pay it or don't. Not worth it, but if you want him thats the price.

This is similar with City hoping for some reaon from Brighton, but ultimately we wither get damn close or we do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.