Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of your view on Zin, we sold him for £30m with an established pedigree of winning titles in an elite team, under a manager widely considered to be one of the greats.

Cucurella has little such pedigree, standing out in a mid-table side for 12 months.

Brighton are entitled to ask what they want for him and City do clearly see him as a talent, but I don't think we are taking the piss bidding in the thirties.

It's a bizarre stance City have taken waiting to bid for the player, selling Zin first and telegraphing our needs.

Both teams are already deep in to their preparations for the new season.

All that won't help us on the final price.

I genuinely don't believe we've 'gone and bid' £30m, just like that, at this stage in the window. I just don't see that as anything other tha headlines. I didn't believe arsenal and chelsea had bid 30m for Gabi and Raz either. It goes against the professional workings of the club, to be playing roll the dice on a fee, knowing it won't cut it. Might be alone in that, I'm ok with it.

I
So we've officially had a £30 Million bid rejected - at least we know we're definitely keen - hopefully next bid £35 (no doubt rejected) then final £40 mil with add ons gets accepted
Really haven't watched him enough to form a considered opinion, just a gut feeling I think we'll go as high as £45 million including addons.
They don't have to sell but I don't believe we would have sold Zinchenko without being confident in our options.

How has £50m become a realistic price for Cucurella? When he was first rumoured 3 or 4 weeks ago the general feeling was £30m max, but once we are alleged to be interested the price goes through the roof, same as with Harry Kane. I understand he is under contract to Brighton and they can ask what they want - but £50m is way over the top for an attacking full back who managed one goal and two assists in a full season playing nearly every game (admittedly with better forwards the assist tally would most likely have been higher). He ain’t worth £50m unless we are paying per strand of hair. Time to move in to another target. FFP dictates that money is no object is not an option

I have said this all along but many on here wont have it. There is absolutely no way on earth Cucurella is worth more than Zin at this current time. I think £32m for Zin was too little and £50m for Cucurella is far too much. The only way you pay more Cucurella is if there is a belief that his ceiling is much higher...a big leap after one season at Brighton.

Interesting that Pep talks about Ake covering at LB. I would have thought if you wanted someone to 'do a job' you would stick with the guy that has had a pretty successful crack at it over the past few years. I'm guessing Chelsea had an approx. £40m offer on the table for Ake? That is the money we should have taken for the 4th choice CB and 3rd choice LB, who despite playing in two positions had significantly less minutes than Zin last season. Surely nobody thinks going into the season with a Cancelo/Ake LB option is better than the Cancelo/Zin option?

I do. Because Ake is predominantly a CB, and that is also a need.

Neither will happen though, so not much of a hypothetical.

I didn't believe arsenal and chelsea had bid 30m for Gabi and Raz either. It goes against the professional workings of the club, to be playing roll the dice on a fee, knowing it won't cut it. Might be alone in that, I'm ok with it.

I think the first offer indicates the club's interest in a player and signals willingness to negotiate. The example with Gabi and Raz is instructive. Arsenal and Chelsea didn't really think they could get the respective player for 30m. They just started the negotiation process. Same with us. Nobody at the club believes we can get Cucu for 30m, it's just an opening move. If Brighton don't want to discuss the fee and want 50m, we move on and sign another LB.

At this stage, it looks certain that we won't get Cucu for less than 47-48m including realistic add-ons and a firm fee above say 42m. I guess the club know this and are exploring alternatives in case Brighton refuse to go lower than 50m.

Last edited:
These posts are getting boring.
Transfer window doesn't close tonight you know.

After the past decade never mind the summer so far it's mental we still have people questioning what the club and Txiki are doing.

I don't give a shit what Brighton think they want. They had Arsenals pants down for Ben White so that means they can do the same here. I don't think so.

If we have a price for Cucurella and they don't want to sell then we move on.

I think he was saying it as a 'that won't actually be the case' rather than shocked by thinking that is the case. How I read it.
And I agree, now way is that a thing to worry about.

How has £50m become a realistic price for Cucurella? When he was first rumoured 3 or 4 weeks ago the general feeling was £30m max, but once we are alleged to be interested the price goes through the roof, same as with Harry Kane. I understand he is under contract to Brighton and they can ask what they want - but £50m is way over the top for an attacking full back who managed one goal and two assists in a full season playing nearly every game (admittedly with better forwards the assist tally would most likely have been higher). He ain’t worth £50m unless we are paying per strand of hair. Time to move in to another target. FFP dictates that money is no object is not an option

I doubt anyone really expected him to go for anything less than 40-45m, one year into his contract.

Sometimes you just got to take a gamble, he was available this time last year as his release clause was €18m. Surely he would of been on our radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.