Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must of been happy with his defensive qualities or he wouldn't of been considered. Hopefully Cucrella can provide a bit more balance rather than relying on a midfielder playing out of position (who has done the best he could of done to be fair to Zin)
Happy with them or believed they could be developed. He was what, 22 or 23 when he came. Still very much a raw talent. And if it wasn't for injuries, and constant stop-start niggles, perhaps he could have become a world class defender. It's hard enough to learn Pep's system without being constantly in and out of the team. But we'll never find out now.

Nah they've already resigned themselves to him going. They're just trying to squeeze extra pennies out of City. They've literally already started looking for a replacement. Likely stalling for that reason too.
Beto (lb) off too Udinese... Brighton have strongly linked with Udineses lb, Udogie. Pieces falling into place?

Cancelo is a left back. Another right-back takes some of the strain off Kyle Walker (who is now 32 and will not have many more seasons left at the very top)
I was watching the Spain v Portugal game yesterday...the RIGHT back had a nice assist late on to draw Portugal level...guess who that was?

He was very good in Getafe where he was playing under total rigor under Bordalas as a left-winger in 1-4-4-2. For me, it's a little bit short-signed to compare everyone to Mendy, especially since he was a totally different player after his ACL injury.
Cucurella Mendy comparison has ZERO validity...its not even a talking point...

I was watching the Spaint v Portugal game yesterday...the RIGHT back had a nice assist late on to draw Portugal level...guess who that was?
He looked better at Left Back where he played mostly last season but that is down to indvidual choice whether he is more comfortable left or right.

He looked better at Left Back where he played mostly last season but that is down to indvidual choice whether he is more comfortable left or right.
He did...I don't know if that's because he played so much more on the left? Its tricky with him...all attacking qualities aside I don't fancy him as a defender in big situations...he was a mess at the end of the second legs v Real and Atletico, both times on the right...but he was also poor defensively in both Liverpool league games on the left...

He did...I don't know if that's because he played so much more on the left? Its tricky with him...all attacking qualities aside I don't fancy him as a defender in big situations...he was a mess at the end of the second legs v Real and Atletico, both times on the right...but he was also poor defensively in both Liverpool league games on the left...
To be honest there aren't many left backs in World Football that can combine the two attributes and it the case of finding a happy medium. Cancelo is far from perfect but currently he is the best left back at the club for what Pep wants.

To be honest there aren't many left backs in World Football that can combine the two attributes and it the case of finding a happy medium. Cancelo is far from perfect but currently he is the best left back at the club for what Pep wants.
Everything except that he's not left footed and there will be times Pep would want a left footer on the left. If you break down the 2 halves vs. Villa, Cancelo was higher up on the left attacking with Bernardo covering the space behind him. Cancelo was there as a psudo winger/wingback while Foden came narrow. However, Cancelo had a hard time creating from that position because of Villa's shape and how compact they were.

That's why Pep brought in Zinchenko in the 2nd half. He basically did the exact same thing Cancelo was trying, but had more success because he's left footed and could go around toward the byline easier. Pep even said this. So Cucurella makes sense IMO.

Everything except that he's not left footed and there will be times Pep would want a left footer on the left. If you break down the 2 halves vs. Villa, Cancelo was higher up on the left attacking with Bernardo covering the space behind him. Cancelo was there as a psudo winger/wingback while Foden came narrow. However, Cancelo had a hard time creating from that position because of Villa's shape and how compact they were.

That's why Pep brought in Zinchenko in the 2nd half. He basically did the exact same thing Cancelo was trying, but had more success because he's left footed and could go around toward the byline easier. Pep even said this. So Cucurella makes sense IMO.
The change did work but it was also partly down to Fernandinho struggling in the first half. I am not against bringing Cucurella in it will help the team but he isn't better than Cancelo

The change did work but it was also partly down to Fernandinho struggling in the first half. I am not against bringing Cucurella in it will help the team but he isn't better than Cancelo
It all depends how Pep wants to set up against opposition just like the use of having inverted wingers opposed to natural wingers. Having that variety in the team gives him flexibility tactically in his set up from game to game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.