Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nonsense. He is as good a defender as many starting LBs in the league. And a far better one in possession. Which by the way is even more important to our style.
Not talking about in possession which we know he is good at...I actually called him an excellent player. Unfortunately, in my opinion he is very suspect defensively but if you think he is a top defender then no problem...and I will not refer to your comments as nonsense either..haha!!.

Angelino is a typical wing-back, who is only good when is playing in the 1-3-5-2 system. Zinchenko is NOT A LEFT-BACK, he is used only because of the lack of proper options and many of his games were successful. But he is not a top option, not a long-term option, but the club has counted so many years on Mendy and they have used right-back like Cancelo to cover this position. We need more pace and more energy in this position. Sorry. Cancelo and Cucurella will be our future fullbacks.
In hindsight people said the above about Angelino.

Before he came though, many, very many, thought he'd be an amazing LB and would easily dispose of this midfielder masquerading at Leftback.

It doesn't matter how many great games Zinchencko has at LB, folks will just wait around till he has a bad game, and that bad game would be pointed at as evidence he is not a "Real Leftback." Whatever that is.

Zinchencko is a leftback. A very good one at that. One of the better ones we've had at City.

Hope we get him some competition, and they both get playing time based on strategy and availability.

Not talking about in possession which we know he is good at...I actually called him an excellent player. Unfortunately, in my opinion he is very suspect defensively but if you think he is a top defender then no problem...and I will not refer to your comments as nonsense either..haha!!.
He is a top LB for City. In possession and keeping possession are a serious part of defense when you play for City.

In determining who's a good defender for City, everything that reduces the number of chances the other team creates, helps defensively. Including holding possession well and understanding the intricacies of playing a City game.

I said as much prior to Angelino joining.

Angelino was, is and will never be of the required standard. Defensively exposed in a back 4 and certainly not of the quality to play regualrly for us.
People sometimes judge players with a loyal affection because they came through the junior ranks. If that was the case our defence could easily include angelino, mafeo and tosin.
Zinchenko is not the permanent answer due to his lack of defensive awareness but he suits us as a fill in better than angelino ever would due to his passing, movement and use of the ball.
That said I would still like an actual left back for the first time in many years.
Compared to who? Cancelo? Walker? Marty Cash? The Liverpool RB?

Take the final game, Cancelo, a fullback, lost Cash inexplicably on their 1st goal. Then Cash turned around and lost Gundogan multiple times in 10 minutes., These are all lifelong fullbacks. No one questions their 'fullbackness".

I think Zinchencko is an underappreciated fullback. Perhaps Cucurella is a better defender or maybe he just plays on a team that defends more and has more help... We'll find out soon enough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.