Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying an extra £10m or £20m more than you think a player is worth is not irrelevant at all, when you factor in that you can add that to every other transfer we make from here on in.

If we don’t think he’s worth what they’re asking, move on. If we do, and we only have eyes for him, pay it and get him settled for the start of the season.
As people have rightly said though, we overpaid for Jack only 12 months ago so you can fully understand Brighton thinking we will do same for Cucurella.

1. City will not pay £50 Million for Cucurella and Brighton will not budge on their valuation, this deal is not happening this summer folks.

2. We have 3 full backs and Ake can play LB so We may not even sign an alternative LB.
IMO:

1. True.
2. Wrong.

As people have rightly said though, we overpaid for Jack only 12 months ago so you can fully understand Brighton thinking we will do same for Cucurella.
Release clause, so it made it easier. They weren’t selling unless we paid it. Kind of backs up my point though, overpay once and it gets noticed.

Not much left to say about this transfer anymore. Can we officially call it a “saga” yet?

It looks very much like a situation where, in the past, we have walked away.

Brighton making noises that their business model is to let players go at a certain price made me think it was just a matter of time but I’m not as confident now.

I feel sorry for Cucu but I wouldn’t be surprised if a name we hadn’t even been linked with before suddenly signed for us instead. Cucu is for sale no doubt but not at a price we seem willing to pay.

It‘s a big thing to City to be seen to be getting value for money and to take advantage of the fact that virtually every player wants to come here. It’s probably something we, as fans, underestimate.
This is definitely a transfer 'Saga' now and expect a sad ending.

City want to be seen as 'getting value for money' but last summer they paid a £100 Million release clause for Grealish. A player with only two years of premier league experience at the time. It's understandable some fans are confused by our approach to this transfer.

If Pep has identified Cucurella as his 1st choice LB the directors should stop bluffing and pay the fee, five seasons without a natural LB is incompetent enough.

Pep has done a great job coaching Delph, Zinchenko and Cancelo, they're all midfielders! Zinchenko will be exposed as a LB at Arsenal.

The team is incomplete without a natural Left back, why haggle over £10 Million for PR purposes.

Release clause, so it made it easier. They weren’t selling unless we paid it. Kind of backs up my point though, overpay once and it gets noticed.

Yep, but it begs the question: should we have paid it? (And I rate Jack, by the way).
I wish City would just shell out this £50 million so I can stop thinking about it, and get on with my summer. It really is most inconsiderate of them…

I can guarentee you that special update is "Nothing has been agreed yet and there's still some negotiation to be done on the fee."
And then Andy Naylor has a few digs about city buying everyone and spending loads of money.

I guess this is the biggest story of his professional career - it’s probably expecting too much for him to toe the line and not turn this whole thing into some childish, binary, absurdist melodrama.

This is his one chance to get an invite from the WhatsApp group. He needs that golden ticket!!

Yep, but it begs the question: should we have paid it? (And I rate Jack, by the way).
I wish City would just shell out this £50 million so I can stop thinking about it, and get on with my summer. It really is most inconsiderate of them…
I think I said at the time, in today’s market and with his contract situation I could understand paying up to £80m for Grealish.

So 12 months later, here we are doing the dance around the price. We’re testing their resolve but it’s a bit pointless due to us a) our previous, and us obviously wanting him, and b) his contract situation. He’s money in the bank for them for the next 2 years; if we don’t pay £50m, someone will next season or the season after and until then they still have the player. They won’t budge.

Unless you think we paid more than the release clause then we didn't "overpay" for Grealish. We were obviously convinced he was worth it, I suspect he'll prove his worth this coming season for anyone unsure on him BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.