Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might sound a bit unconvincing, but I think the narrative about this transfer summer is shaping our reluctance to pay Cucu's asking price.

The narrative, and there appeared several articles the last 2-3 days supporting and spreading it, is how we signed Haaland and some top players while making a significant profit: City mean terrific business!

Now, If we buy Cucu for 50m, it will sort of spoil the new image we are building now.

We'll sign a new LB 100%, even if it's not Cucu (for me, the probability of signing Cucu is lower than 50%). Does it make sense for Brighton to sell a player they consider better for them than White for less than White? Don't thinik so, no matter whether they'll make 30m profit. The profit may not help them buy players good enough to replace him. Would we want to sell Bernie for 80m? Of course not, who could replace his quality?

It is the model (some of our lot still don't understand that hence the wailing on Twitter), but here it's simply the number that's the issue - your valuation doesn't meet ours. What we gain is keeping our clear (players and fans) POTS (probably for one more season max), in a position where we haven't had anything this good and where we won't get an equivalent replacement, and certainly not for £10m - if we're to progress, the numbers in our 'model' will continue increase and we're starting to see this now. Think the club see it as much more sensible, I suspect, to flip him for the same or more profit after two seasons rather than one.
I get your point on valuation. What annoys me, (and it’s not just this transfer and Brighton) is that everybody ignores the global economic crisis. If you look on the Frankie De Jong thread you will see what a joke Barcelona have become. The pot of clubs that can pay excessive fees is smaller. The world is different now to when you fleeced Arsenal for Ben White. The model for Brighton should get slightly easier in terms of costs as long as the scouting network keeps finding the gems.

Contrary to popular belief, City walk away from deals if they get too rich. See Sanchez, Van Dijk, Fred etc. You’re fishing in a smaller pot than before I believe. All opinions though.

Might sound a bit unconvincing, but I think the narrative about this transfer summer is shaping our reluctance to pay Cucu's asking price.

The narrative, and there appeared several articles the last 2-3 days supporting and spreading it, is how we signed Haaland and some top players while making a significant profit: City mean terrific business!

Now, If we buy Cucu for 50m, it will sort of spoil the new image we are building now.

We'll sign a new LB 100%, even if it's not Cucu (for me, the probability of signing Cucu is lower than 50%). Does it make sense for Brighton to sell a player they consider better for them than White for less than White? Don't thinik so, no matter whether they'll make 30m profit. The profit may not help them buy players good enough to replace him. Would we want to sell Bernie for 80m? Of course not, who could replace his quality?
I wish people would stop using Ben White’s fee as the barometer. Firstly there was an “English tax” and secondly centre halves go for bigger fees than fullbacks generally.

Thats where i dont have a problem with Brighton? He`s their player and they need to weigh up who they can get to replace him and if that person can possibly be as good as Cucurella was last season? Plus we have form for £50m full backs and defenders and its arguably the most important position in a pep team? Cucurella was brought through the barca academy and the pep style, 23 years old (i think) and unlike some if he does well and pep signs an extension wouldnt push for a move back to barca in a few years and could be with us for 7-10 years? If the final fee was £50m including add ons then i think it would be a good move for both clubs and obviously the player but Brighton have made their position public that they know where they are in the food chain in a sense but if the fee deal and fee is offered they will allow players to step up.

I wish people would stop using Ben White’s fee as the barometer. Firstly there was an “English tax” and secondly centre halves go for bigger fees than fullbacks generally.

Thirdly, Cucu is more important to how Brighton play, so 1. and 2. don't hold water.

Can’t believe some City fans are having a go at Brighton he is there player under contract , it seems they want 50m ( according to the reports ) either pay it ( fine ) or don’t pay it again that’s fine we have won 4 out of the 5 last prem titles.

Reactions: CC1
Thirdly, Cucu is more important to how Brighton play, so 1. and 2. don't hold water.

Yes, I'm afraid so. It just goes to show that there are many factors in whether a transfer gets done or not. Objectively, Cucurella will be far more important to Brighton than he'll be to us. For us, he'll be a very useful addition (probably); for them, he's their best player. Unless there's a disastrous drop-off in form, or an injury, they can hold on to him for another year, and probably get the same money.
On the other hand, from his point of view: this opportunity will not come again. We are the best team in the land. This does not really need a lot of discussion. Liverpool are on our heels, but they are not at our level. Does Cucu want to miss this chance? We will almost certainly not wait a year.

Our valuation of any player we want to buy is surely a combo of purchase price plus agents fee plus the high wages the player will or can earn.
I'm sure the low Haaland purchase price is massively offset by him being paid for his many proven attributes.
Getting the balance right may be difficult with an unproven player.

However I am certain where millions are involved our owners are more capable of deciding if their hard earned profits can be increased in the future by purchasing another asset.

This is definitely a transfer 'Saga' now and expect a sad ending.

City want to be seen as 'getting value for money' but last summer they paid a £100 Million release clause for Grealish. A player with only two years of premier league experience at the time. It's understandable some fans are confused by our approach to this transfer.

If Pep has identified Cucurella as his 1st choice LB the directors should stop bluffing and pay the fee, five seasons without a natural LB is incompetent enough.

Pep has done a great job coaching Delph, Zinchenko and Cancelo, they're all midfielders! Zinchenko will be exposed as a LB at Arsenal.

The team is incomplete without a natural Left back, why haggle over £10 Million for PR purposes.
I don’t expect a sad ending at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.