March for the Alternative-26th March

tueartsboots said:
ElanJo said:
It's still far, far too little. The fact it's being done quickly will hurt many so in that sense it may feel too deep but when looked at objectively as a whole it's still leaving us with a bloated government and one far too much involved in, and stifling of, the economy. There are other things that don't require cuts that would enhance the economy almost immediately, whilst saving money and manpower, such as drug legalisation. Unlikely to happen but if it were to, cuts to police etc. wouldn't be an issue since they'd be allowed to concentrate on primary functions - fighting things like murder, violence, rape, kidnapping etc.
Not sure what you are saying there. 1,700 Met police being cut

How legalisation would lessen the burden of those job losses?

ElanJo said:
tueartsboots said:
Not sure what you are saying there. 1,700 Met police being cut

legalisation of drugs wouldn't work as tax would be added and therefore push prices up, look at the illegal tobacco/booze trade in this country. Many a murder is down to drugs so lose-lose situation.
SWPs back, give me a shout on 15th, meet for a beer or three

tueartsboots said:
ElanJo said:
legalisation of drugs wouldn't work as tax would be added and therefore push prices up, look at the illegal tobacco/booze trade in this country. Many a murder is down to drugs so lose-lose situation.
:-) certainly will fella, though more than likely the 16th as won't land in London til about 9pm on the Friday and the mrs will want feeding. Luckily she is shopping on the Saturday and I believe there could be a game of Footy on!!

tueartsboots said:
ElanJo said:

Don't tax it. I know, I know, that's a foreign concept to you lot from planet taxalot...

Anyway, it'd depend how much you taxed it. You could still tax it and put drug gangs out of business.

As for murder and drugs. The vast majority of the violent crime connected with drugs occurs precisely because they're illegal.

ElanJo said:
tueartsboots said:

Don't tax it. I know, I know, that's a foreign concept to you lot from planet taxalot...

Anyway, it'd depend how much you taxed it. You could still tax it and put drug gangs out of business.

As for murder and drugs. The vast majority of the violent crime connected with drugs occurs precisely because they're illegal.
I'll think you'll find VAT has to be added under EU law as it's a luxury

tueartsboots said:
ElanJo said:

Politicians are from the same planet.

Even with VAT, drug gangs would go out of business

ElanJo said:
tueartsboots said:

Ok, fair enough. Why has it never been done? Heroin/opium has been in this country for several centuries, not sure on dope but I dare say a century or so. Most weed is homegrown- in fact we have government farms growing it !
I like your sentiments but there must be a reason why they won't?

tueartsboots said:
ElanJo said:

Ok, fair enough. Why has it never been done? Heroin/opium has been in this country for several centuries, not sure on dope but I dare say a century or so. Most weed is homegrown- in fact we have government farms growing it !

I think it's partly to do with being a member of the UN. It's one of the reasons why cannabis hasn't been made legal in Holland (as opposed to decriminalised). Remember reading that you have to sign up to certain drugs being illegal to be a paid up member of the UN.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
tueartsboots said:

I think it's partly to do with being a member of the UN. It's one of the reasons why cannabis hasn't been made legal in Holland (as opposed to decriminalised). Remember reading that you have to sign up to certain drugs being illegal to be a paid up member of the UN.

tueartsboots said:
ElanJo said:

No doubt many reasons but, imo, the biggest are probably stigma (esp. for the politicians), our history of social conservatism/nanny statism and general ignorance on the subject.

Grave by grave, it will happen tho.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.