Marcos Lopes

The back heel was class and led to the goal as it took the defender out of the game. With touches of magic like that he obviously has the talent to make it.

SebastianBlue said:
CITYBOY1000 said:
SebastianBlue said:
You've watched him play in competitive matches many times with the first team?

I must have lost months to an alien abduction.

Jokes aside, my point is that players develop differently when played at higher levels. Sink or swim, as it were, so he needs more than a few cameos to prove whether or now there is talent equal to our ambitions.

I think I see your point Seb.

He's not shown much other than the ordinary at EDS level or on the few occasions he has featured in the first team but he 'might' still be quality nevertheless because he shouldn't be judged on his performance. Is that right ?

I think you'd have a fair few who have watched Lopes with the EDS (including, it seems, a certain Chilean) that may disagree with the "ordinary" assessment. I'll admit that the one thing I can't do from my current residence is watch anything other than all of the EDS and U18 highlights on the OS but I have heard and read very good things from those who have been able to watch him in person.

I also don't think anything about his first team performances, especially given the situations in which they arose, precludes talent.

It seems a very rash judgement to me but perhaps I am wrong.
Whenever I have seen him play for the EDS, it seems obvious that a class above practically anyone one the pitch, particularly when playing in that u19 Champions League where he scored a hattrick against Bayern and a brace vs Plzen. He has a lot to his game: Pace, power, finishing, dribbling, penalties...

And as for first team apps, I thought that he was anxious today and slightly rash but then he did help create a goal. His other two appearances have impressed me, he looked very dangerous against Wigan and struck the bar, and in his 5 minute cameo against Watford last year he managed to get on the scoresheet.

He may become good enough for us, he may not. If he doesn't we'll just have to look at our other prospects like Faour, Brahim, Pozo, Denayer, Hiwula and Huws.

kun said:
SebastianBlue said:
CITYBOY1000 said:
I think I see your point Seb.

He's not shown much other than the ordinary at EDS level or on the few occasions he has featured in the first team but he 'might' still be quality nevertheless because he shouldn't be judged on his performance. Is that right ?

I think you'd have a fair few who have watched Lopes with the EDS (including, it seems, a certain Chilean) that may disagree with the "ordinary" assessment. I'll admit that the one thing I can't do from my current residence is watch anything other than all of the EDS and U18 highlights on the OS but I have heard and read very good things from those who have been able to watch him in person.

I also don't think anything about his first team performances, especially given the situations in which they arose, precludes talent.

Whenever I have seen him play for the EDS, it seems obvious that a class above practically anyone one the pitch, particularly when playing in that u19 Champions League where he scored a hattrick against Bayern and a brace vs Plzen. He has a lot to his game: Pace, power, finishing, dribbling, penalties...

And as for first team apps, I thought that he was anxious today and slightly rash but then he did help create a goal. His other two appearances have impressed me, he looked very dangerous against Wigan and struck the bar, and in his 5 minute cameo against Watford last year he managed to get on the scoresheet.

He may become good enough for us, he may not. If he doesn't we'll just have to look at our other prospects like Faour, Brahim, Pozo, Denayer, Hiwula and Huws.

Pozo looks great every time I watch him, can't wait for him to be ready

NQCitizen said:
kun said:
SebastianBlue said:

Pozo looks great every time I watch him, can't wait for him to be ready
Agreed, having not seen Faour or Brahim I'd say that IMO he is our biggest talent.

Would like to have seen him get more than 17minutes as it was 5-0 after an hour.

Maybe starts against Blackburn and West Ham away? He started against Wigan and did well!

Are people not getting a little carried away wanting him in the team right now? By all means play him in the 2nd leg or against Blackburn at home, but he's not ready for the Premier League yet (unless we're playing a team as demotivated as West Ham)

Tricky_Trev said:
Are people not getting a little carried away wanting him in the team right now? By all means play him in the 2nd leg or against Blackburn at home, but he's not ready for the Premier League yet!

If we are not going to play him against Blackburn and West Ham, yes I have to admit I will be carred away a bit. :)

Champions2012! said:
Was he the one who gave that cheeky backheel pass that led up to our fifth goal?
Yes.

Didn't see it at the game, but that was something special

All our goals were good, but the BBC just seemed to concentrate on how uncompetitive West Ham were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.