Mark E Smith

Given Ian Brown’s inane outpourings I do wonder what MES would have made of all this ‘covid business’...

I have got that but haven't read it yet. Ditto the Brix book.

Must put that right soon.

The one that most seem to rate (myself included) is Steve Hanley and Olivia Piekarski's The Big Midweek: Life Inside the Fall.

Hip Priest
by Simon Ford is also very good but out of print and expensive to acquire.

I was disappointed by Renegade, Smith's autobiography, though. It reminded me rather too much of the ramblings on a park bench mutterer.

Got my eye on this one too:

I wasnt even sure it was an autobiography! If it wasnt for the fact it cost £3 from Fopp I'd have taken it back!

I have got that but haven't read it yet. Ditto the Brix book.

Must put that right soon.

The one that most seem to rate (myself included) is Steve Hanley and Olivia Piekarski's The Big Midweek: Life Inside the Fall.

Hip Priest
by Simon Ford is also very good but out of print and expensive to acquire.

I was disappointed by Renegade, Smith's autobiography, though. It reminded me rather too much of the ramblings on a park bench mutterer.

Got my eye on this one too:

Yes, the Steve Hanley book is the one I meant. I think I’ve got Hip Priest somewhere too.

here’s a clip that sums MES up. Apparently he would just turn peoples amps down mid gig and drive them crazy, that’s what caused this fight:

Apparently he would just turn peoples amps down mid gig and drive them crazy, that’s what caused this fight:
I actually have a t-shirt from that tour. It's the cover of the 'Extricate' album with a list of venues on the back.

Someone in the UK was flogging one on e-Bay a few years ago.

This video features pretty much the full constellation of MES idiosyncracies (faulty megaphone, plastic bag, amp knob twiddling, premature off-stage departure etc.):

But possibly the best ever bit of MES being deliberately provocative and annoying on TV comes at the end of this performance:

Appropriate too. Most of the music on Later is fucking shit and I can't stand the way Jools Holland goes around saying how great all the performers are.

I actually have a t-shirt from that tour. It's the cover of the 'Extricate' album with a list of venues on the back.

Didn't actually go but someone was flogging one on e-Bay a few years ago.

This video features pretty much all the MES idiosyncracies (faulty megaphone, plastic bag, amp knob twiddling, wandering off-stage departure etc.):

But possibly the best ever bit of MES being deliberately provocative and annoying on TV comes at the end of this performance.

Appropriate too. Most of the music on Later is shit and I can't stand the way Jools Holland goes around saying how great all the performers are.

The Jools Holland performance is great. The rumour was Mark said the only way he was going on the show was as long as Jools didn't try and play boogie woogie piano with him. Brilliant

Another MES story I've just remembered, City related:

About 10 years ago City were really getting into the social media, modern marketing thing. It was the time when we did the Tevez poster etc. The club had a kit launch event in the Northern Quarter, I think probably for the first Umbro kit. They decided to invite City fans who they saw as "influencers" and my mate was seen as one due to his high profile on Twitter at the time. If memory serves me right then I think @Ric was there too and I've a feeling he actually sat with my mate and witnessed this:

MES was also invited as a high profile Blue and my mate, a big Fall fan, went and sat with him and he proceeded to get arseholed on the free booze. Apparently the more pissed MES got, the more abusive he got because, unsuprisingly, he hated the whole corporate pretentiousness and youthful marketing slant of the whole event. He was heckling, shouting things like "What would Mike fucking Doyle have made of this?", and got so abusive that he was more or less asked to leave.

Brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.