Mark E Smith

Is that their most successful/well known track?
Genuine question, cos I seem to recall seeing them on front cover of the NME etc virtually every other week, but I dont ever remember knowingly hearing one of their tunes.
I only know 4 of them. The one I mentioned , Mr pharmacist, there's a ghost in my house and I want you with the inspirals. They've done 20 odd albums and been round for ages.

Totally agree. A mate had this album. He played it and I stopped and bought it on the way home. Brilliant album cover too.

Spoilt Victoria Child is just brilliant along with Bombast.

RIP Mark.

Same here. I was introduced to it by a mate. Too many good tunes on the album to name them.

So many musicians regard him as a musical icon, especially Americans. Sebbadoh (what an underrated band they were), Sonic Youth and Pavement (who I personally think are as bad as Coldplay) all considered him to be a big influence.

Gutted.
See ya mate.
In 1981, when I was 12, a mate lent me Totale's Turns and I was hooked instantly. A couple of years later we snuck into the Hacienda as 14 year olds to see this...

The band by which all others must be judged.

I’ll always remember his last words to me, as he departed in a taxi, as cheery (and, weirdly, seemingly as sober) as he was in 1981: “Thanks Dave, I’ve really enjoyed it.” Then, when the book came out, he annihilated it, announcing: “I’ve just fucking burned it.”

Hahaha

Very sad but probably not the most surprising news. Was lucky enough to see the fall in their very early days at deeply vale and a social club in bowdon of all places

It was the Bowden Assembly Rooms. I saw them there myself, but as it was nearly 40 years ago, I don't remember much of it. RIP Mark E Smith, putting Manchester on the map for all the right reasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.