MartinO'Neill

So it seems that the fall out was over the Milner/Ireland deal. By all accounts Lerner told MON that no swap deal would be acceptable - he wanted the cash, which made it pretty clear that the cash was not going to be reinvested in the squad...

As a side note, I bet Marwood and Cook didn't see this one coming. Wonder what they're going to do about Ireland now. They were pushing him pretty hard out of the door to Villa, but now that that's dead, they're going to have to look at the other options if they want him to leave...

The fall out was nothing to do with the Milner deal and the Ireland part of it is not dead ! Here is why he jumped ship from General Krulack :

. Obviously I am not in a position to name "targets" for the new Manager...that would not be a smart thing to do. What I will say is that we recognize this is an important decision and one that needs to be done rather quickly but, equally important, in a manner that gets the right man. We DO know how important this will be...no one is thinking it will be easy. Reality is that we have 4 days before our first game and rushing out to get a Manager is not the smart thing to do...just to have someone on the sidelines. One of the sad things about this whole affair is that Martin left when he did. I agree that the Club needs to come out with a statement...and they will. Likewise, Randy will have something to say. Speaking as a Fan, I have read every article about Martin's departure and must say that they are pretty one-sided. There is absolutely no question that Martin did a good deal for Villa and I have said, over and over, that I felt he did a fine job. At the same time, I can promise everyone that he knew and understood the long range plans for the Club and bought into them. He knew full well about the need to bring wages in line with revenue...the same as every Premiership Club. He was absolutely supported by the owner during his time with the Club...all one needs to do is look at the money spent. The reality is that the wage to revenue issue was not addressed and Martin apparently was unwilling to help address it. He quit. Do I think we have some rough times ahead? Probably...but nothing that we can't handle. I have been in some tough scrapes before...and I never got out of them by "wishing it away". I just put my head down and continued to grind it out. At the end of the day, is the aim to get into the Champions League? Absolutely! Is this realistic? Absolutely! Do we still have a way to go? Absolutely! As an aside, no one person is bigger than our Club...not me, not Randy, not Paul, not Martin. What is interesting is that, apparently, only three of those named understand that fact. We will continue to try to do what is right by the Vlla...with the very best of intentions. Will we always get it right...probably not. But we will work damn hard to do the right things.

V MYSTERYMAN said:
The fall out was nothing to do with the Milner deal and the Ireland part of it is not dead ! Here is why he jumped ship from General Krulack

I've no idea who General Krulack is, and I'm not sure why as a City I fan I should, nor care for that matter.

The reason MoN left is absolutely nothing to do with Manchester City, its to do with MoN, AVFC, and Learner, even if it does involve Milner leaving (which he hasn't yet anyway). All internal Aston Villa problems.

V MYSTERYMAN said:
The fall out was nothing to do with the Milner deal and the Ireland part of it is not dead ! Here is why he jumped ship from General Krulack :

. Obviously I am not in a position to name "targets" for the new Manager...that would not be a smart thing to do. What I will say is that we recognize this is an important decision and one that needs to be done rather quickly but, equally important, in a manner that gets the right man. We DO know how important this will be...no one is thinking it will be easy. Reality is that we have 4 days before our first game and rushing out to get a Manager is not the smart thing to do...just to have someone on the sidelines. One of the sad things about this whole affair is that Martin left when he did. I agree that the Club needs to come out with a statement...and they will. Likewise, Randy will have something to say. Speaking as a Fan, I have read every article about Martin's departure and must say that they are pretty one-sided. There is absolutely no question that Martin did a good deal for Villa and I have said, over and over, that I felt he did a fine job. At the same time, I can promise everyone that he knew and understood the long range plans for the Club and bought into them. He knew full well about the need to bring wages in line with revenue...the same as every Premiership Club. He was absolutely supported by the owner during his time with the Club...all one needs to do is look at the money spent. The reality is that the wage to revenue issue was not addressed and Martin apparently was unwilling to help address it. He quit. Do I think we have some rough times ahead? Probably...but nothing that we can't handle. I have been in some tough scrapes before...and I never got out of them by "wishing it away". I just put my head down and continued to grind it out. At the end of the day, is the aim to get into the Champions League? Absolutely! Is this realistic? Absolutely! Do we still have a way to go? Absolutely! As an aside, no one person is bigger than our Club...not me, not Randy, not Paul, not Martin. What is interesting is that, apparently, only three of those named understand that fact. We will continue to try to do what is right by the Vlla...with the very best of intentions. Will we always get it right...probably not. But we will work damn hard to do the right things.

I have no idea who this General is but if we make the assumption he's part of Villa's management, then you can easily read the subtext of that statement to be that ONeill wanted Ireland and the board said no. Because Ireland would have wanted a big salary, of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.