Mata ... Available ..... Really ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't help feeling that they are signing him simply because he is available rather than as part of any coherent long-term strategy. United and Everton teams have been characterised by their high work rate. As I understand it, Mata is being allowed to leave because his work rate is not enough for Mourinho.

A short-term fix for which they are massively over-paying. They got lucky with Van Persie last season and may do so again but, longer term, on top of Fellaini's £28m this is taking care of a large part of their budget without addressing their most pressing problems

No doubt it'll be a good signing for them if it does go through, but it's no going to address United's real problems in central midfield. Also, he won't be able to play for them in the Champions League until next season, when I doubt they'll even be in the competition.
It's disappointing from Mourinho though. City, Arsenal and Chelsea (and to an extent, Liverpool) are all pushing United of their perch and the worst thing any of those clubs could do would be to strengthen them with a world class player like Mata, the same way Arsenal did with Van Persie.

mgreenz97 said:
No doubt it'll be a good signing for them if it does go through, but it's no going to address United's real problems in central midfield. Also, he won't be able to play for them in the Champions League until next season, when I doubt they'll even be in the competition.
It's disappointing from Mourinho though. City, Arsenal and Chelsea (and to an extent, Liverpool) are all pushing United of their perch and the worst thing any of those clubs could do would be to strengthen them with a world class player like Mata, the same way Arsenal did with Van Persie.

Agreed!

Maybe with Chelsea's financial losses last year and FFP in mind, the offer was simply too good to turn down.

Surely no other club would be desperate enough to pay so much ?

Wreckless Alec said:
Can't help feeling that they are signing him simply because he is available rather than as part of any coherent long-term strategy. United and Everton teams have been characterised by their high work rate. As I understand it, Mata is being allowed to leave because his work rate is not enough for Mourinho.

A short-term fix for which they are massively over-paying. They got lucky with Van Persie last season and may do so again but, longer term, on top of Fellaini's £28m this is taking care of a large part of their budget without addressing their most pressing problems

Signing like this smells of desperation. All the earlier talk for them by pundits has been "they need a world class talent, a big name, someone to maintain that United can still attract talent." What they left out is it making any sense short/long term. They have a lot of players already they barely use now.

ashton-blues said:
if he does go to trafford rangers then it must be for the money.

No one goes to them for the money do they?

They want to be part of a team where every player came up from the Youth Academy.

This is the first money they have spent since 1906.

It's a good signing. Players as good as Mata don't normally become available in January, and they are obviously paying over the odds. He may not be who they need, but he is a cracking player and can only improve them. With him in, they can now look at the back for. Again, he's a very good signing - I personally see Mata, the Rapist and Granny Shagger as a that to most teams in the league.

Ashton now on Talkshite saying the deal is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.