Match Day: Aston Villa v. Manchester City FC

Lawro's Prediction for Aston Villa v Man City (1730 GMT)

Villa surely cannot be as bad as they were in the opening half-hour against Manchester City at Eastlands in December, when they went 3-0 down. They were hopeless, and that first half performance was probably the worst I have seen by any team all season.

They have to be better, and I expect them to put in a much-improved display. You are never too good to go down but I think Villa have too many match-winners to be relegated.

With Darren Bent on board, they have some goals in their team now and, when you look at Gerard Houllier's squad and see people like Ashley Young, Stewart Downing and Gabriel Agbonlahor and Marc Albrighton, there are a few players capable of turning a game.

Also, the pressure is off Houllier now because, if he was on the brink of being sacked, Villa owner Randy Lerner would not have backed him so much in this transfer window.

City's defence should pose some problems for Bent in his first game because Kolo Toure and Vincent Kompany are forming a solid partnership at the back.

Roberto Mancini's side don't struggle to score goals either, but they might have to settle for a single point at Villa Park.

Prediction: 1-1

Here are all of Lawro's 2010-11 Premier League predictions, together with how the League Table would look like if he was correct...

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Mark_Lawrensons_Predictions_2010-11.html

THFC6061 said:

Villa surely cannot be as bad as they were in the opening half-hour against Manchester City at Eastlands in December, when they went 3-0 down. They were hopeless, and that first half performance was probably the worst I have seen by any team all season.

They have to be better, and I expect them to put in a much-improved display. You are never too good to go down but I think Villa have too many match-winners to be relegated.

With Darren Bent on board, they have some goals in their team now and, when you look at Gerard Houllier's squad and see people like Ashley Young, Stewart Downing and Gabriel Agbonlahor and Marc Albrighton, there are a few players capable of turning a game.

Also, the pressure is off Houllier now because, if he was on the brink of being sacked, Villa owner Randy Lerner would not have backed him so much in this transfer window.

City's defence should pose some problems for Bent in his first game because Kolo Toure and Vincent Kompany are forming a solid partnership at the back.

Roberto Mancini's side don't struggle to score goals either, but they might have to settle for a single point at Villa Park.

Here are all of Lawro's 2010-11 Premier League predictions, together with how the League Table would look like if he was correct...

Interesting. He's only 6 points off for us so far, and if we win this weekend it'll be 3 points off. Funny how many people slag him off almost weekly for his predictions.

Kinky Dribbler said:
THFC6061 said:

Interesting. He's only 6 points off for us so far, and if we win this weekend it'll be 3 points off. Funny how many people slag him off almost weekly for his predictions.

Except he has Liverpool on twice the points theyve got, same for blackpool.

From the OS...

Thu 20 Jan 2011, 3:53PM
Posted by David Clayton
Edin Dzeko is likely to return to City's starting line-up having missed out on the midweek FA Cup win over Leicester City, Roberto Mancini has revealed.

The Bosnian striker made an impressive debut against Wolves last weekend but was cup-tied for the Foxes replay and the Blues' boss is looking forward to having Dzeko available again at Villa Park.

"Edin has settled well and he will improve as the weeks go by," said Mancini. "He has come from another country and it will take him four or five games to get used to the style and pace of the Premier League because it is different from the Bundesliga, but I thought he made a good start against Wolves.

For some reason,I always feel confident about games against villa no matter how they're playing or where they are in the table.If we get an early goal I reckon we'd go on to get 4 or 5.

we are in for trouble this time round cause our two center backs area dominance,villa are good at set pieces which we are poor to defend when it comes to that frame.i wouldn't be too sure for us to win this one but a draw will be cool to take.i guess they are bound for revenge on us.

I think we will see something of a "full" team tomorrow.

Hart
Zab
Kolo
Kompany
Kolarov
Nige
Barry
Yaya
Silva
Dzeko
Tevez

not confident about this game at all. the fickle villa fans will be booing and hissing at every decision, just like the last game at villa park. The ref was totally influenced by the crowd. we need an early goal to shut the fans up, if we do, i think we will win the game.

I expect villa to come out and have a real go at us for 2o mins like every team that plays us does seeing that first 20 mins out without conceding is the key if we do that our class will tell and i can see us picking them off 2 or 3 times as they tire gonna go for a 3-1 tevez ,dzeko,bent,dunne<og>.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.