Match fixing confirmed (including in England)

Prestwich_Blue said:
Europol have confirmed what some of us have been saying for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 380 matches across Europe investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".

Criminals wagered 16m euros on rigged matches and made eight million Euros in profits, Europol say.

Payments of two million Euros are thought to have been paid to those involved. The biggest payment to an individual was 140,000 Euros, according to investigators.

Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Asia was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe. It believes match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.

Officials said they feared this was the "tip of the iceberg".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol, said: " This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.

"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.

"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network."

So to those idiotic, smug, sarcastic twats who think it's all a bit of a nutjob conspiracy, your imminent apologies will be welcomed.

Oh dear, not exactly the kind of language or behaviours one could reasonably expect from a person in authority....

Prestwich_Blue said:
Europol have confirmed what some of us have been saying for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 380 matches across Europe investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".

Criminals wagered 16m euros on rigged matches and made eight million Euros in profits, Europol say.

Payments of two million Euros are thought to have been paid to those involved. The biggest payment to an individual was 140,000 Euros, according to investigators.

Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Asia was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe. It believes match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.

Officials said they feared this was the "tip of the iceberg".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol, said: " This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.

"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.

"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network."

So to those idiotic, smug, sarcastic twats who think it's all a bit of a nutjob conspiracy, your imminent apologies will be welcomed.

Well put Prestwich, well put!!

The ones who can influence games the most are the officals,they are the ones who can decide on red/ yellow cards,penalties given or not...so if a syndicate approached a ref for a match say two weeks away,with the purpose of betting on number of red/ yellow cards( exact number) in a game say two red six yellow followed by two penaties given in that match,only the officals can determine this.....

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
M18CTID said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Could you possibly show me some actual hard evidence to substantiate just one of those scenarios?
I know you think we're being arsey here,but not believing something until such time as it is proven is not a bad way to live your life.
God botherers get no end of grief on 'religion' threads for stating that god definitely exists,whilst providing no proof,other than 'well,that's what I believe'.
Yet sceptics like Cookie and me get grief on here for demanding proof of corruption.

Crikey NF, I'm only saying that it's a possibility, not that it's a definite. There's nothing wrong with keeping an open mind on something in the absence of "hard evidence".

Then we agree mate - it is a possibility,and if it turns out that football is as rotten as the two year old Balti pie I found in the boot of my car the other day then I will be the first to fess up that I was wrong.
But you must admit that some of the conspiracy theories doing the rounds a while back were a tad bizarre,and that's using Pauldominic's posts as a yardstick.

Yeah, I agree there were some far-fetched theories in that thread.

My own viewpoint is that if there is something dodgy going on then it is along the lines of individuals being "got at" by shady betting syndicates.

It won't be an unexpected result like united getting beat at home, that would be too sucpicous.
It will be someone getting beat by more than 2 goals or both teams to score or something like that.

It wasn't the fact that I didn't particularly believe in there being no corruption in the game - how do I know what goes on?! - but it was the very insecure and constant stuff about any decision that went against us or for United being harped on about being "agenda" driven. It was tiresome and nobody had a shred of evidence, many were just being smacked arses or sore losers.

This doesn't change that.

Don't forget match fixing is often things like there being a throw-in in the 55th minute, a corner in the 90th minute or there being seven free kicks in the second half. They aren't necessarily about fixing the score or the winners of a match. It can go as far as that, of course. But nobody knows anything yet, not a thing.

(Don't see how the OP gets away with calling people "idiotic" and "twats" because if a non-mod did that I guarantee they'd be told off.)

Rumours are it involves a game at Anfield when we beat Debrecen. Their keeper had been paid allegedly.

"Waiting for hard evidence"

Isn't that what Sir Jimmy Saville's defenders argued?

With the amount of money involved in football it is almost certain that aspects of it are bent/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.