Matchday Parking

We usually park on wolverton street and Manchester Breakdown service over the past 2 games have decided to start blocking the road off illegally. Been parking there 10 years! Rang them up and asked them why and they said for our vehicles safety and if we try park there again they will smash a truck in to it. Advised it's a public road and they cant just block it off. See what happens tonight. Also a guy down there charges people a fiver to again park on a public road. Please stop giving him money to park there if you do
I too always parked there prior to the cones appearing. When this happened at first I was told that Wolverton St was now a private road and that both National Rail and the road recovery company had asked them to block the road off and that any cars parked would be towed away. As soon as I got home I sent an e mail to the highways department at Manchester City Council who replied that the road is a public road. Next game I showed the lad who runs the "car park" the e mail who said that under no circumstances would I be parking down there. I then said the bollards were blocking a public highway. He apologised and said he was instructions not to allow any one on to the road. To be honest over the years he has always nodded at me and given me the thumbs up when I have said I'm going on to Wolverton so I think he has probably been paid a few quid to stop people parking there. The city council need to get their act together re parking on event days. There is a decent car park there where the old Beswick shops were where I have seen scallies with a high viz coat have charged people a tenner to park up only for them to bugger off at kick off and the car drivers to return post match to have a ticket flapping under their wiper. All the council would have to do is put a couple of pay and display machines up and charge say £6 for parking over 90 minutes on event days and they would more than break even in the first season. Perhaps the council could send one of the many parking staff they have hanging around on match days to the Wolverton St area and report back to the bosses as to what goes on on match days. Apologies if this ramble has gone on for too long but it's my first input on to the forum having been just a reader for many a year.

I too always parked there prior to the cones appearing. When this happened at first I was told that Wolverton St was now a private road and that both National Rail and the road recovery company had asked them to block the road off and that any cars parked would be towed away. As soon as I got home I sent an e mail to the highways department at Manchester City Council who replied that the road is a public road. Next game I showed the lad who runs the "car park" the e mail who said that under no circumstances would I be parking down there. I then said the bollards were blocking a public highway. He apologised and said he was instructions not to allow any one on to the road. To be honest over the years he has always nodded at me and given me the thumbs up when I have said I'm going on to Wolverton so I think he has probably been paid a few quid to stop people parking there. The city council need to get their act together re parking on event days. There is a decent car park there where the old Beswick shops were where I have seen scallies with a high viz coat have charged people a tenner to park up only for them to bugger off at kick off and the car drivers to return post match to have a ticket flapping under their wiper. All the council would have to do is put a couple of pay and display machines up and charge say £6 for parking over 90 minutes on event days and they would more than break even in the first season. Perhaps the council could send one of the many parking staff they have hanging around on match days to the Wolverton St area and report back to the bosses as to what goes on on match days. Apologies if this ramble has gone on for too long but it's my first input on to the forum having been just a reader for many a year.
Good first post.
I hate it when "parking cowboys" rip us motorists off, with illegal parking scams etc.
Well done on standing your ground against this lot on Wolverton Street.

I normally park on Vermilion car park for a fiver. They’ve put it up to a tenner now.
Has anyone noticed a price increase at any of the other non-MCFC car parks?

Seeing as how this thread has become a Tebay love-in, can I mention that the same owners have applied for permission to build and run a service station near the Bowdon roundabout off J7 of the M56.

Also they run the one on the M5 at Gloucester ... use it whenever going to and from Devon and Cornwall.

I normally park on Vermilion car park for a fiver. They’ve put it up to a tenner now.
They probably put it up to £10 as the rail bridge at the end of the street is blocked and people didn't know where else to go as I saw it was getting full from people turning around after reaching a dead end.

They will charge £15 once the restrictions come in.

Everywhere is £10 now save for one place half way down Bradford Rd where they charge £5 and hence are full at least an hour before kick off.

Anyone understand this I have booked for Saturday and was going to book for Liam Gallagher as well but this keeps popping up. Does it mean I can only book for one thing at a time ? Hoping to book for RM soon as well. Saying I cant buy anymore for LG yet I havent bought any !

20220419_175043.jpg

Can you still park on the road going around the old abattoir up towards Clayton vale? Bank Bridge Road? Failing that, the pavement next to the park opposite the velodrome?

Used to use Asda but a quick check on here and that’s 90 minutes.

Last edited:
Some bloke from Manchester Breakdown service was threatening to smash our car up if we park down there last night and it's not the first employee to say this. They said they have to keep the road clear for emergency vehicles yet they are able to park their trucks on it? Such odd behaviour from them after all these years. I've messaged the police about it all but know for a fact nothing will change. Gonna end up parked in town the further and further away we are getting from the ground now

We usually park on wolverton street and Manchester Breakdown service over the past 2 games have decided to start blocking the road off illegally. Been parking there 10 years! Rang them up and asked them why and they said for our vehicles safety and if we try park there again they will smash a truck in to it. Advised it's a public road and they cant just block it off. See what happens tonight. Also a guy down there charges people a fiver to again park on a public road. Please stop giving him money to park there if you do
I saw the parking signs last night, so went down that road to park. Its a public road so charging £5 is illegal. Ended up paying them the money because i was in a rush but wont be doing that again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.