Matija Nastasić

Sky just confirmed that Everton tried to sign Nastasic but he turned them down....wants to stay at City until Jan...

CTID101 said:
I don't think it is about pace, besides Nastasic isn't that slow anyway.

It is more Pellegrini seems to prefer defenders who will step up and try win the ball, aggressive into the tackle, look to win the ball as high up as possible and be comfortable passing it across the midfield.

Nastasic is very much a stand back defender who looks to slide into positions and try to win the ball with as little physical confrontation as possible.
It isn't a bad thing, just how he plays. If Pellegrini doesn't want to play like that then he either learns the system or we sell him which is what the club are seemingly trying to do.

I agree with most of that but I think we do need pace. But it's a very bad thing looking to win the ball easily all the time. Same as standing with both feet on the ground as someone jumps above you to head the ball, which he does often. He needs to fight like fuck for his job. If he did, he would probably succeed.

I recon his pathetic effort v Alex pre season, where he just stood & let him score, compared to the way Boyata was going for challenges & trying to cover difficult situations even when he was struggling, may have a lot to do with Pellegrini's decision. Both players need a lot of improvement, but Pellegrini may feel he has more chance calming Boyata down & sorting out his positioning, than getting Nastasic to fight.

Neville Kneville said:
CTID101 said:
I don't think it is about pace, besides Nastasic isn't that slow anyway.

It is more Pellegrini seems to prefer defenders who will step up and try win the ball, aggressive into the tackle, look to win the ball as high up as possible and be comfortable passing it across the midfield.

Nastasic is very much a stand back defender who looks to slide into positions and try to win the ball with as little physical confrontation as possible.
It isn't a bad thing, just how he plays. If Pellegrini doesn't want to play like that then he either learns the system or we sell him which is what the club are seemingly trying to do.

I agree with most of that but I think we do need pace. But it's a very bad thing looking to win the ball easily all the time. Same as standing with both feet on the ground as someone jumps above you to head the ball, which he does often. He needs to fight like fuck for his job. If he did, he would probably succeed.

I recon his pathetic effort v Alex pre season, where he just stood & let him score, compared to the way Boyata was going for challenges & trying to cover difficult situations even when he was struggling, may have a lot to do with Pellegrini's decision. Both players need a lot of improvement, but Pellegrini may feel he has more chance calming Boyata down & sorting out his positioning, than getting Nastasic to fight.

Good assessment of Boyata and Nasty that mate ...... The only thing I'll add is DM once settled did a good job as he's about as slow as me ..... Nasty's play just seemed very passive when I' watched the pre-season games and like you say Boyata was at least 'having a go' for want of a better expression!!

Mancitybluemoon1 said:
Sky just confirmed that Everton tried to sign Nastasic but he turned them down....wants to stay at City until Jan...

If that's the case,and he refuses to move,then he needs to grow a pair and fight for his place,his attitude,approach and effort has been far too casual for my liking.

I agree with Nev regarding Boyata and Pellegrini's possible thinking.

FantasyIreland said:
Mancitybluemoon1 said:

If that's the case,and he refuses to move,then he needs to grow a pair and fight for his place,his attitude,approach and effort has been far too casual for my liking.

I agree with Nev regarding Boyata and Pellegrini's possible thinking.

Arsenal leading the race for him it seems- from the independent

While signing a striker should be Arsene Wenger's priority, Arsenal are reportedly in pole position to sign Manchester City defender Matija Nastasic on deadline day.

The Serbian had also been linked with moves to Everton and West Ham, but has the 21-year-old turned down those clubs.

It has been reported that Arsenal have made an enquiry for the player, who was signed from Fiorentina in 2011.

Arsenal recently lost out in the race to sign another central defender, after Kostas Manolas joined Roma for £10m

jared said:
Hate to see him go but anywhere just not to arse please

To be fair mate, it's about time we sold them one of ours after the number of players we have taken off them. Nasty would doubtless do very well at Arse and I would wish him well.

I respect and admire Pellegrini but if he truly believes he can turn Boyata in to a better player than Nastasic then it is time for him to be put in a home.

@BluePhil8 said:
I respect and admire Pellegrini but if he truly believes he can turn Boyata in to a better player than Nastasic then it is time for him to be put in a home.

i recon he has a 50/50 chance of that. The question is whether he can turn him into a good enough player to play cb for City, which neither of them are at this moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.