Matthijs de Ligt

Personally I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Anderlecht at some point.
Would be a good move to finish out his career there and then return to us in a management role onces he’s finally done.

Long term thinking is City's new mantra, so it wouldn't make sense to extend Kompany's contract just out of nostalgic reasons. Everyone knows Kompany is past his prime, even if he is still very good and will always be a City legend. We can't keep five centre backs happy so I would run down Kompany's contract and buy De Ligt. This kid together with Stones and Laporte would make City's back line top of the world for 8-10 years. De Ligt really is an upcoming world star. I think we would regret letting him go to Barcelona.

Long term thinking is City's new mantra, so it wouldn't make sense to extend Kompany's contract just out of nostalgic reasons. Everyone knows Kompany is past his prime, even if he is still very good and will always be a City legend. We can't keep five centre backs happy so I would run down Kompany's contract and buy De Ligt. This kid together with Stones and Laporte would make City's back line top of the world for 8-10 years. De Ligt really is an upcoming world star. I think we would regret letting him go to Barcelona.
No we won't if Stones and Laporte continue to grow. De Ligt has a similar trajectory as those 2. We alrsalr have those 2

Others will know better but can we really afford the outlay for both De Ligt and De Jong?

We could. But we probably shouldn't.
I think we should. We have no other pressing needs in the squad.

Also, both are very young and are good friends, it would probably help both of them to have each other around in their settling period.

As good as he might be, to me De Ligt doesn't fit the profile of what we need in our CB options right now. We already have the two world class young centre backs who are pretty much our first choice now. Mixed in with that we have the experience of Otamendi who we've given a contract extension to and probs has another couple of years left at the top. For the fourth spot we currently have Kompany who its fine to rotate give his injury record. When Kompany goes I think Garcia will get his spot. Seems as though he's very highly rated and at his age it will be fine to bring him in and out of the team. I think the fact we have clear first choice pairing with a mix of youth and experience back it up is a good blend. Someone of De Ligt's profile will expect to be undisputed number one and we already have two young players in our squad who meet that criteria.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.