Matthijs de Ligt

Personally I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Anderlecht at some point.

I think he'd be more likely to move to a Girona/NYC type of role as a stepping stone/proving ground. I don't think we want him to leave the fold and equally I don't believe that he wants to either.

Long term I see him in a very senior administrative role, Dof football as a start, CEO type role in time

After buying Stones and Laporte for a lot of money are we really going to pay £60m+ for another CB??

Can’t see it happening especially with Eric Garcia looking very good in preseason.

De Ligt to Barca and De jong to us makes the most sense.

As good as he might be, to me De Ligt doesn't fit the profile of what we need in our CB options right now. We already have the two world class young centre backs who are pretty much our first choice now. Mixed in with that we have the experience of Otamendi who we've given a contract extension to and probs has another couple of years left at the top. For the fourth spot we currently have Kompany who its fine to rotate give his injury record. When Kompany goes I think Garcia will get his spot. Seems as though he's very highly rated and at his age it will be fine to bring him in and out of the team. I think the fact we have clear first choice pairing with a mix of youth and experience back it up is a good blend. Someone of De Ligt's profile will expect to be undisputed number one and we already have two young players in our squad who meet that criteria.
You'd think if anyone put a bit of thought into it, they'd reach the same conclusions you did. But alas, his name keeps popping up on the lips of fans... Odd.

You'd think if anyone put a bit of thought into it, they'd reach the same conclusions you did. But alas, his name keeps popping up on the lips of fans... Odd.
If a player like De Ligt is available and potentially there is spot open like we have then you go for it. Thats how you improve already world class squad. There is simply no point banking on 17 year old to come good just because looked good in pre season. There is still Otamendi who is 31 in January who Garcia can replace if he is good enough also there is no point buying specific back up players either, we have seen that approach simply does not work.

Barca have Pique, Umtiti and Lenglet, all quality yet they want De Ligt as well. Thats how the big 3 operate and why they have such amazing squads year after year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.