MCFC U16's

I had a quick look at the Daily Fail article and the theme seems to be that the under 16 families are concerned about the arrival of Pep and the consequent potential for Pep to sign galacticos and thereby blocking the path of young locals into the first team.

If this is the case, and with respect, I think these parents are looking at it the wrong way. The under 16's are a very good team, and within that team there is some great talent. However there are no certainties in football. A player who looks a great prospect at the age of 15 does not translate necessarily into a first team player at the age of 21. I have a 22 year old son who was a very good prospect at that age. As a result I have watched a lot of junior representative football, and spoken to a lot of parents who have been supporting the dreams of their teenage son. I know that parents talk to one another, and quite possibly many have followed the debate on Bluemoon about Pellegrini arguably not nurturing young players.

A teenage player absolutely needs to be in the right environment to nurture their talent. In my opinion the arrival of Pep is beautiful timing for the Academy. Who wouldn't want the best Manager in the world keeping an eye on their son? If I were a parent of an under 16 player I would be over the (blue) moon about Pep, and would sign my son up to the scholarship system in a heartbeat. Having said that every parent must be realistic about the future. It's simply impossible to predict what will happen to a young footballer between the ages of 15 and 21. Growth spurts, girlfriends, access to money, simply living the life of a teenager, can all impact in varying degrees on a young player realising their potential.

In my opinion these parents should not be concerned. Pep will nurture the young Academy players. He will give them opportunities. City has the best Academy in England, and I can't think of a better place for a Phil Foden etc to realise their undoubted talent.

All fair points twosips, yeah we have a problem as do most clubs when players get to 19-20 and aren't quite at first team level, just what happens then if they can't get a good loan move. I agree re foden would be a real shame if he moved on after so long at city. I'd be equally gutted if Matty smith went, his name doesn't really get mentioned as much as others, but he's up there with the best of them for me, a real quality player.

All fair points twosips, yeah we have a problem as do most clubs when players get to 19-20 and aren't quite at first team level, just what happens then if they can't get a good loan move. I agree re foden would be a real shame if he moved on after so long at city. I'd be equally gutted if Matty smith went, his name doesn't really get mentioned as much as others, but he's up there with the best of them for me, a real quality player.

I think Matty Smith will stay. He was offered a deal I think, thankfully, as he's class. 19-20 has to be the age when we're moving some regulars on, agree. I think a couple mooching about in the EDS could've had season long loans but it didn't happen for whatever reason unfortunately.

The truth is who can blame some of these parents?
There are two ways of looking at it.
1) Sign because your son will get the best footballing education around.
If he doesn't make it at City he will have had an unbelievable grounding that will give him a better chance of going on and making it in the professional ranks.
2) Leave because there is little way he will be given the opportunities to shine, because the club will move for the best players year on year.

I know a massive red who chose option one for his son (a few years back now). Knew his son wouldn't make it with us but said City was the best place for his development.

However I don't think we help ourselves. Roberts at Celtic and other younger players not appearing to be trusted.
I said on Sunday if we'd bought Dele Alli he would be either in our EDS team or out on loan in the championship.

The truth is who can blame some of these parents?
There are two ways of looking at it.
1) Sign because your son will get the best footballing education around.
If he doesn't make it at City he will have had an unbelievable grounding that will give him a better chance of going on and making it in the professional ranks.
2) Leave because there is little way he will be given the opportunities to shine, because the club will move for the best players year on year.

I know a massive red who chose option one for his son (a few years back now). Knew his son wouldn't make it with us but said City was the best place for his development.

However I don't think we help ourselves. Roberts at Celtic and other younger players not appearing to be trusted.
I said on Sunday if we'd bought Dele Alli he would be either in our EDS team or out on loan in the championship.

If we had dele Alli he'd be having a season like Iheanacho at the very least.

I don't think people really understand just how superior he was in league 1 last year.

But it's interesting you criticise the club for loaning out Roberts, yet presumably you think Spurs handled Alli brilliantly, even though they did exactly the same thing, signed him and immediately loaned him until he was ready.

Similarly Harry Kane, Tom Carrol, Ryan Mason - all of Spurs youth players who have broken into the side in the last 18 months have all been through 3 years worth of loans, yet I'm pretty sure if we sent kids away for 3 years on loans then people would be criticising the club.

I think Matty Smith will stay. He was offered a deal I think, thankfully, as he's class. 19-20 has to be the age when we're moving some regulars on, agree. I think a couple mooching about in the EDS could've had season long loans but it didn't happen for whatever reason unfortunately.
Is there reason for concern as to why Glendon has not been on loan yet? A couple of years ago he seemed to have similar credentials to George Evans, but now Evans has (unsurprisingly) moved several notches ahead of Glendon after his loan moves.

I know there was the Rangers trial, but any scouts from league 1 and possibly the Championship who have been watching us regularly in recent years must surely see that Glendon has some good midfield qualities that would surely make him an asset for someone?

I've no doubt whatsoever that Pep will completely change the way our youth setup is functioning. I can understand why some parents are concerned, but I would be relieved Pep was coming because for me the concerns are there now. Someone like Barker for instance has been completed overlooked at first team level despite being quite consistent at academy level for a long time and therefore deserving of a chance in my book. Instead he sits on the bench, gets shipped out on loan and then goes back to the EDS and again doesn't get much of a chance. Garcia, a lad who has shown a lot of talent at youth level but who has also been woeful since his previous injury and is only just back from another one - well he doesn't run the game at EDS level and yet he's straight back into the first team setup and likely to get a chance for the first team before Barker does.

It's not just Barker, there are others. There does seem to be one rule for English lads, one for the lads who have cost the club money to purchase. That's not how it should be.

I think Pep will get quite cut throat, he won't care where they're from, he'll care about how good their technique is, how well they listen and implement instructions and how hard they work. The ones that don't tick those boxes will get loaned out or potentially sold, and I think he'll be very good at securing better loan deals for our lads. The ones that do tick that box will be in the first team setup and the ones that have those characteristics in abundance will be under his wing and he'll see them as the ones to define his time at the club. There's obviously a strong Spanish/Catalan theme at our club but I don't think Pep will worry about where the players are from. The board will know the fans want to see local lads come through and I think that Pep will do his best to ensure that happens. There's so much talent at that level, we just have a blockage at the EDS - first team stage which will back up and impact on the U16s/U18s progressing up etc. We need to move lads on when we don't feel they'll make it. But we also need to give young players a chance or we could end up losing really talented kids the way the rags let Pogba go.

As far as I know the under 16's players consist of some of the following (I reckon a couple have probably moved on or been released so please correct me if I am wrong

Joe Hilton - GK - Just seen he has gone to Everton
Adao Manuel - DR/C - been on trial at middlesborough recently I think
Ed Francis - DC -
Joel Latibeuare - DC -
Tyreke Wilson - DL -
Matty Smith - MC
Diego Lattie - MC
Colin Rosler - MC
Mace Goodridge - Not sure position
Tom Dele-Bashiru - MC
Phil Foden - AM
Jadon Sancho - AM
Tyreke Campbell - S
Luke Bolton - S

also had the following players at some point, not sure there positions or if they are younger or anything mind...

Luke Walsh
Ben Hughes
Keyendrah Simmonds

If we had dele Alli he'd be having a season like Iheanacho at the very least.

I don't think people really understand just how superior he was in league 1 last year.

But it's interesting you criticise the club for loaning out Roberts, yet presumably you think Spurs handled Alli brilliantly, even though they did exactly the same thing, signed him and immediately loaned him until he was ready.

Similarly Harry Kane, Tom Carrol, Ryan Mason - all of Spurs youth players who have broken into the side in the last 18 months have all been through 3 years worth of loans, yet I'm pretty sure if we sent kids away for 3 years on loans then people would be criticising the club.
It's all about perception and I'm not sure the perception is that youngsters will get their chance. Some, if not the majority, are not good enough particularly in the EDS, but could we have played Maffeo, Evans (in the league cup for more than 5 minutes) at Sunderland alongside seasoned pros? Not convinced by Mason and I think ultimately he will leave Spurs.
But now they've brought through Onomah this season. The perception is it's another kid getting a chance.
Dele Alli was bought in January 2015 and immediately loaned back to MK Dons. The same has happened with Maddison who joined Norwich on deadline day. He's gone back to Coventry. They both got regular game time and then joined/will join up with the teams in the summer.
I'm not critcising the loaning of Roberts, but 18 months? Really?
We do leave ourselves open to criticism and, however annoying that is, people start to believe it. It's the old adage 'throw enough mud and some of it will stick.'
Interestingly the two Garcias (Aleix and Manu) believe that they will go out on loan to develop and are years away from becoming first team regulars.
In my opinion it takes a brave manager to 'blood' youngsters. Pochettino had seen the value of it at Southampton and adapted that philosophy at Spurs.
We might have to try one or two to find a gem. But then this might send out the message to another youngster he'll get his chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.